This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Warming for 10 Years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Warming for 10 Years
    Posted: 01 May 2008 at 10:30am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7376301.stm

You know what I say to that?? RUBBISH!

We're running out of oil and they're trying to find alternatives. That's the real global problem.

Quote as natural climate cycles enter a cooling phase

Right... just like it naturally enters warming phases, too. 'nuff said.

Quote However, temperatures will again be rising quickly by about 2020, they say.

Curious that CO2 suddenly doesn't factor (for 10 years?!?!).

Quote The cause of the oscillation is not well understood

Well, we seem to be quite the experts and 100% right when it comes to the warming part, so why not? Hmmm????

Quote It may partly explain why temperatures rose in the early years of the last century before beginning to cool in the 1940s.

Sorry if I missed something, but isn't the planet supposed to have been WARMING since the 40s? It can't be both.

Quote The projection does not come as a surprise to climate scientists, though it may to a public that has perhaps become used to the idea that the rapid temperature rises seen through the 1990s are a permanent phenomenon.

Blame Al Gore and the IPCC for their scaremongering.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:00pm
Oh for Pete's sake Vulcan, not again!

Ten years in the planets history is insignificant, it warms it cools, up and down, in and out left and right and up your bum and back out again.

So what, you Can expect to see short term variations in the climate like this, big deal, it means nothing, only longer term climate change is relevant.

But then you know that don't you?

Co2 doesn't factor for ten years, actually it does but barely, it's a short term cycle, you already know this about long term trends.

For any more response from me see the millions of posts I've already taken the time to type. Just go back and do a search rather than rehashing the same irrelevant arguments all over again.

I notice you never comment on the myriad of other reports from the BBC indicating that man made warming is a valid concern.

P.S. It's a new computer model by one team of scientists, not verified or pier reviewed, it may be totally wrong anyway. Either way it makes no difference over a time period that is insignificant in climate terms.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:11pm
I'm with Vulcan on this one.  After dire predictions about continuous warming they're faced with data that says otherwise.  The new information flies in the face of what they've been wringing their hands about ever since the great global cooling scare of the seventies became the victim of normal climate oscillation.  The data no longer supports their postulated scenario that human activity is destroying the planet's climate balance so now they're saying something like...

"Please stay tuned and don't lose interest and keep the grant money coming while this unstoppable behemoth, Global Warming, takes a short ten-year holiday.  It really is an urgent crisis, but has to take a break while the Earth cools for a decade."

They could have put it much more simply by just saying, "We got it wrong, sorry."

Maintaining the myth of a global warming crisis in the same breath with a report that it will cool for ten years appears to have come from the east end of a west-bound bull.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:48pm

I'm with Vulcan on this one.  After dire predictions about continuous warming they're faced with data that says otherwise. 

Rubbish! There have never been dire predictions of CONTINUOUS warming. Climate scientists aren't stupid enough to ignore short term fluctuations in temperature. In fact they have gone out of their way to emphasis that short term temperature changes are insignificant. Warnings are based on LONG TERM trends.

The new information flies in the face of what they've been wringing their hands about ever since the great global cooling scare of the seventies

No it doesn't, how can it, it must be obvious to you that ten years is totally insignificant in terms of temperature change. Look at the graphs, to expect a continuous line upward is preposterous.

They have merely stated the obvious, something we know, or at least I thought we did. Suddenly I can see why you two can't grasp the concept.

Here's a link to the Met Office, it should give you an idea what climate change and global variability is all about.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/hadleycentre/news/cc_global_variability_figures.html#g_a_r_temp

It's plain to see how short-term fluctuations and I'm talking ten years or more, are insignificant compared to the overall trend.

I'm astonished you guys can't grasp that.

You two must really think carefully about this ‘it’s all a government plot’ mentality. And perhaps listen a little less to George Bush.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 5:22pm
1) I don't listen to GB, except to laugh.

2) YOU'VE got to be careful that you're not following the "end is nigh" mentality. It wasn't so long ago they were jailing people in this country for witchcraft (IIRC the last was around 1943 when they jailed a "witch" in Scotland in the event that she blew the D-Day plans). http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/jan/13/secondworldwar.world

3) The CO2 argument is rubbish. Don't forget the ice-age from approx. 100,000 years ago.

EDIT: I need to make this crystal clear: I don't doubt WARMING. I do doubt THE CAUSE as it is reported (i.e. CO2).

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:52pm

It's nothing to do with 'the end is nigh mentality' it's to do with the people that KNOW, the experts, spending long hard hours doing research to justify their hard earned PhD's telling us there’s a 90% certainty that recent warming is our fault. Compare that to us lot who have no qualifications in this respect but have the audacity to think we know better.

What about the ice age?

I know what you believe; you believe that the Co2 we have pumped into the atmosphere is ‘special’ in that it doesn't result in warming. The laws have physics have changed then. Its common knowledge to anyone that the climate is finely balanced; the Co2 we have pumped into the air is more than enough to cause the effects the 'experts' observe.

It doesn’t take a monumental cause to engender a catastrophic effect.

The issue in this debate is your lack of appreciation for the insignificance of short term [ten year] climate fluctuations. That is what this debate is about.

Do you now see the point that ten year drops or an increase in temperature is insignificant in this respect??? If so then the argument that began this debate is invalid, so lets hear an admittance of that.

Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:05pm
Man... I really don't understand people like you and Vulcan, after all the tests and measurements people FAR MORE COMPETENT than you have done, you still disagree?
I hope the 1.5 billion people in China don't think that way...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:15pm

This entire debate baffles me Dambuster. Vulcan knows well enough that short term fluctuation in temperature exist. He has seen the graphs. He also knows that long term trends are the factor that's of concern.

The researchers have simply highlighted the fact that we may well be approaching a short term cycle down trend so temperatures may not rise as much for the next few years. However, the climate in the short term is unpredictable they may well be wrong.

No idea why he ignores the obvious, especially when we have discussed it so many times in the past. Any opportunity to counter the experts me thinks. Whether a valid argument or not.

Counter arguments to warming are becoming increasingly implausible. Clutching at any straw they can.

Some of course have political agendas, if it disagrees with there political standpoint in terms of their precious country’s economy, then sod the future of the planet as long as they are okay economically

Vulcan will now ignore the graphs I linked to and change the topic to his ice age nonsense.
frikken_Awesome View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frikken_Awesome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 12:54am
can't.... breath.... smothered....CO2...*pant*  *pant*

Gas Name

Chemical Formula

Percent Volume

Nitrogen

N2

78.08%

Oxygen

O2

20.95%

*Water

H2O

0 to 4%

Argon

Ar

0.93%

*Carbon Dioxide

CO2

0.0360%

Neon

Ne

0.0018%

Helium

He

0.0005%

*Methane

CH4

0.00017%

Hydrogen

H2

0.00005%

*Nitrous Oxide

N2O

0.00003%

*Ozone

O3

0.000004%

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:40pm
Warming occurs, cooling occurs.  Both have been happening for eons, long before humans entered the stage. 

I remain unconvinced by all the claims that human activity is responsible for a natural phenomenon that has been around since the planet had an atmosphere.  Despite many claims that the predations of human energy thirst are responsible, many credible opinions to the contrary exist in the scientific literature.  The idea that we evil humans are near to destroying the planet with CO2 emissions is not universally held, even in the scientific community.  You've chosen to believe one side of it - I've chosen to believe the other.

There are always people around, not the least university academics, who are very quick to criticize society, "the establishment", industry, governments and the human race in general for all manner of ills, real and imagined. 

Said same critics are invariably against whatever is current, possible or economically feasible.  If they are proponents for anything at all it is generally either, a) not invented yet (but give us grants and we'll get right to work on it), b) so expensive that, if adopted it would effectively reduce the human standard of living, or c) utterly impractical.

I'm skeptical that greenhouse gas emissions have brought us to the brink.

If you believe that so firmly, why are you anti-nuclear?  It's illogical.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:16pm
Who said I was anti-nuclear?

I'm not anti-nuclear at all. Like you and climate change I am yet to be convinced. However, I listen to you as a n expert and take seriously your comments. Pity you don't listen to the experts in regard to climate change and take their professional opinion seriously. 

Quote Warming occurs, cooling occurs.  Both have been happening for eons, long before humans entered the stage. 

I remain unconvinced by all the claims that human activity is responsible for a natural phenomenon that has been around since the planet had an atmosphere. 

From the Met Office...

The current climate change is not just part of a natural cycle

Earth's climate is complex and influenced by many things, particularly changes in its orbit, volcanic eruptions, and changes in the energy emitted from the Sun. It is well known that the world has experienced warm or cold periods in the past without any interference from humans. The ice ages are good examples of global changes to the climate, and warm periods have seen grapes grown across much of Britain.

Over the several hundred thousand years covered by the ice core record, the temperature changes were primarily driven by changes in the Earth's orbit around the Sun. Over this period, changes in temperature did drive changes in carbon dioxide (CO2). Since the Industrial Revolution (over the last 100 years), CO2 concentrations have increased by 30% due because to human-induced emissions from fossil fuels.

The bottom line is that temperature and CO2 concentrations are linked. In recent ice ages, natural changes in the climate, such as those due to orbit changes, led to cooling of the climate system. This caused a fall in CO2 concentrations which weakened the greenhouse effect and amplified the cooling. Now the link between temperature and CO2 is working in the opposite direction. Human-induced increases in CO2 are driving the greenhouse effect and amplifying the recent warming.

Image:%20Levels%20of%20atmospheric%20CO2%20are%20higher%20than%20at%20any%20time%20in%20the%20last%20430,000%20years 

You're like Vulcan John, you seem to think the climatologists are incompetent.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/myths/3.html
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 5:14pm
Martin, I'm not going to get into a linked articles war with you.  There's more literature on the topic out there than either of us can read. 

The scientific community is divided on this issue.  For every scientist who's published a paper concluding that global warming is, a) the result of human actions, b) imminently dangerous to life and health, and c) can be reversed, there's another who equally credibly refutes at least one of those three allegations.

Based on my reading, my education and my thirty years experience in energy production, which I believe I have a very good understanding of,  I currently agree with those who assert that it is not possible to know if human actions are responsible.  By the way, my opinions in this matter are not the result of anything espoused by George Bush or his evil twin Al Gore. 

I'm extremely disdainful of those who decry the evils of human-sourced greenhouse gases and refuse to consider the widespread replacement of existing coal, oil and natural gas based electrical generation with nuclear power. 

Segments of the scientific community are often pre-disposed to support anything perceived to be "green".  Consider the recent uproar over the spectre of food shortages and rising food prices arising out of the inevitable competition between food and bio-fuel production.  It was evident to me five years ago that was going to happen.  Much of the scientific community was in support of the concept of bio-fuels without considering the larger consequences.  Often, what gets ignored by the boys in the white lab coats is the economic impact. 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 5:59pm

Quote The scientific community is divided on this issue.  For every scientist who's published a paper concluding that global warming is, a) the result of human actions, b) imminently dangerous to life and health, and c) can be reversed, there's another who equally credibly refutes at least one of those three allegations.

No John that’s not true. The consensus is in favor of man's role in recent warming. The opposing view is in the minority and there claims, like solar flares for example have been answered.

It is the consensus. There's little doubt anymore. Even George Bush agrees we are responsible now, his only reservation is the time frame.

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:01pm
By the way, I agree that ten years is is totally insignificant in terms of temperature change - so is 30 years on that graph you posted with a 400,000 year-long X axis. 

Do you suppose that today's scientists can detect whether there have been other 30 year periods of global temperature rise of a fraction of a degree Celsius or whether they coincided with similar increases in atmospheric CO2 conentrations to the current one, which is displayed against a Y axis of 550 parts per million?  I doubt they can do either.

The spikes you can see on the graph are thousands of years in duration.  The CO2 spike of current concern is about 300 ppm or about 0.03% of the atmosphere.  A 30 year spike of 0.03% on a 400,000 year X 100% scale doesn't even deserve to be characterized as noise.  It's smaller than that.

The spike they are portraying as the end of the world is a flyspeck in both magnitude and duration and could already have happened many times in the history of this old earth. 

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:17pm
"The consensus is in favor of man's role in recent warming."

Then I agree with the minority.  Galileo was in the minority.  So was Einstein for a while.  I'd like to think I would have agreed with them then, as we all do now.

George Bush is not one whose views on energy issues influences me.  His being convinced is a matter of indifference to me.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:18pm

You're changing track; I thought we’d moved beyond that.

Do you still believe there is no consensus?

Unfortunately you don't want a 'linked articles war' so I am forbidden to show you any more graphs.

The climatologist aren't daft john, believe it or not they actually know better than us, it's their job.

We are just armchair experts, telling the guys with the PhD’s what it’s all about.

Even if mankind wasn’t responsible, don’t you think we should reduce our emissions anyway, rather than continue to emit and exacerbate the problem?

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:20pm

Quote Galileo was in the minority.  So was Einstein for a while.  I'd like to think I would have agreed with them then, as we all do now.

Laudable indeed john.

However... the two gentlemen you mention are in the minority in regard to opinions that turned out to be valid.. the minority view is sometimes  valid, but not very often.

Science is based around consensus, and most of the time it works.

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:51pm

“Do you still believe there is no consensus?

I believe there is a sizeable minority or better, and that they are credible enough that their view is plausible.  I exclude the kooks, of which there are many in both camps.

“Unfortunately you don't want a 'linked articles war' so I am forbidden to show you any more graphs.

I have neither the time nor the patience for more eye-glazing linked articles, except as a topic starter, for which they are excellent.  I concede you can find many supporting your opinion – and I can find many supporting mine.  I’m much more interested in YOUR opinions and conclusions, and the logic that lead you to them.  I’m not interested in reading some journalist’s slant on an academic paper he probably does not understand anyway.

“The climatologist aren't daft john, believe it or not they actually know better than us, it's their job.

True. Equally true for those climatologists who hold the opposite opinion.  That argument doesn’t sway me.  Specialists are often educated to the point of having blinders to all else outside their field, including economic impacts, which MUST be considered in determining what is feasible.  I submit that if you’re willing to believe that the experts always know better than us and should never be questioned or disagreed with, then that’s the moral equivalent of saying you’ll believe whatever they say.  For myself, I will not make a concession like that.

“We are just armchair experts, telling the guys with the PhD’s what it’s all about.

No.  They can believe what they believe.  I adamantly reserve the right to have an opinion rather than let the guys with PhD’s tell me what I ought to think.  I will decide which PhD I choose to believe.  You may decide which you will choose to agree with. 

“Even if mankind wasn’t responsible, don’t you think we should reduce our emissions anyway, rather than continue to emit and exacerbate the problem?

Yes!  Begin tomorrow to build the nuclear plants so we can begin in a few years to retire the coal and oil and natural gas burners.   Let’s get started aggressively on improving hydrogen storage technology and developing practical, efficient hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engines.  None of those things requires any huge leaps in technology.  If there is so much consensus, why aren’t those very obvious solutions already being implemented with vigor?

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 7:21pm

There really is a massive scientific consensus that global warming is a man-made.

Contrary to popular belief, science can never truly ‘prove’ a theory. Science simply arrives at the best explanation of how the world works. Global warming can no more be ‘proven’ than the theory of continental drift, the theory of evolution or the concept that germs carry diseases.

All science is fallible John!

You, Vulcan, and others like you expect climate science stand up to some fantasy standard that no science can live up to.

No other science has ever been expected to do that, not your pal Galileo, not Einstein or any science or scientist before.

It’s utterly ridiculous!

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 7:31pm

A variety of methods and standards are used to evaluate the viability of different scientific explanations and theories. One standard is how well a theory predicts the outcome of an event, and climate change theory has proven to be a strong predictor.

The effects of putting massive amounts of carbon dioxide in the air were predicted as long ago as the early 20th century by Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius.

Noted oceanographer Roger Revelle’s 1957 predictions that carbon dioxide would build up in the atmosphere and cause noticeable changes by the year 2000 have been borne out by numerous studies, as has Princeton climatologist Suki Manabe’s 1980 prediction that the  would be first to see the effects of global warming.

Also in the 1980s, NASA climatologist James Hansen predicted with high accuracy what the global average temperature would be in 30 years time (now the present day).

Conversely the predictions of those that doubt global warming have failed to come true.

A growing body of evidence has been assembled by scientist each year.

There are 20 different lines of evidence. These lines are incontrovertible.

As Isac Newton said in his seminal 'Principia Mathematica,' he noted that if separate data sets are best explained by one theory or idea, that explanation is most likely the true explanation.

And studies have overwhelmingly shown that climate change scenarios in which greenhouse gases emitted from human activities cause global warming best explain the observed changes in Earth’s climate

Scientists aren't morons!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic