This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Physics Talk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobTheStob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Physics Talk
    Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 7:48pm

Those of you interested in physics might like to hear this.

On Thursday of last week our A-level physics class received a special visit from professor Stanley Brodsky, one of the leaders in particle physics research in the USA.  He works on the Stanford linear accelerator (SLAC) and is involved with theoretical investigations of results from any tests conducted.  It was quite fascinating to encounter such an intelligent guy in person who is associated with the greatest developments in particle physics over some time, and who has also met and associated with the infamous Richard Feynman, best known for his conception of the 'Feynman Diagram'.  He discussed numerous topics and developments in the world of physics with us, but talked in particular about the pending tests with ultra high energy x-rays that will be conducted with the accelerator, allowing images of biological processes to be captured so quickly (beyond femtoseconds) it will be relayed as a video.  Many of the concepts he discussed were so advanced we didn't even understand their titles.  A very rare and worthwhile visit from an acclaimed and well acknowledged individual in the physics domain. 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:37pm
I'm envious, must have been quite an experience.
theryanbradley View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theryanbradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:42pm
AS Physics for me today:

Resistivity of bulb filament and exam practice.

So there. Ok, I'm envious so what.?
Many Thanks,

Ryan

There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight.
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:45pm

OMG I really hate AS PhysicsUnhappy

theryanbradley View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theryanbradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Mrbobo Mrbobo wrote:

OMG I really hate AS PhysicsUnhappy

I've kind of got used to hating itConfused It seem's that our really enthusiastic teacher keep's me going. He's off his tree but hey I'll carry on to A2 and see if we can beat the class total number of 2 for this year.

It's not the most applied for course at AS/A.
Many Thanks,

Ryan

There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight.
RobTheStob View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobTheStob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:48pm
It definitely was a unique opportunity and interesting to hear what he had to say.

If you think A.S. is bad wait until you reach A.2 and begin studying SHM and circular motion; you'll wish you'd made a different choice at the start of your A-levels.  A.S. is a foil to how demanding it gets at A.2. But it's a very rewarding subject and I am biased when I say it's the best science to study Smile
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:52pm
I will not be taking it next year for sure!Big%20smile
wisemanp View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:56pm
Well I've put it down for A level so I'm in for it now!
Sounds very interesting, I've listened to similar talks before at the Cheltenham Science Festival.

However it seems I am doing the wrong science...with only 1 exam left, worth I think 1/4 of the grade, I still haven't dropped a mark on Biology!!
Regards, Phil

You'll Never Walk Alone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic