This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AI Pilots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AI Pilots
    Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 8:12pm
Hey all,

I am brand new here but I'm gonna stick around a while as I just love the prospect of Air Hauler. I would like to have a few questions if I may concerning mostly the AI pilot aspect:

1/ Is there some RPG element to the AI pilots? What I mean is do they develop as time passes and get new type ratings or getting better at what they do, etc? It would be fun to have different characters - some of them better some of them worse at landings, etc. Can you fire them if they do not perform well?

2/ Is there some advantage to flying your own assignments vs sending the ai pilots on them. I would say that there should always be some risk element when sending an AI pilot - like more chance for him to damage the aircraft, to be late, to damage the cargo etc. In fact it could be dependent on their hidden characteristics that for example there are some who are good flying amphibians or flying at night or in bad weather etc. Maybe I get carried away but I would enjoy this aspect however I would think that there should be some advantage to actually fly the assignment as opposed to send always AI pilots. Or can you just really play this as a management game after you managed to recruit a good bunch of AI pilots.

3/ Not really related to AI but I am still interested whether any fuel management is involved. In FS Economy - which is by the way quite similar albeit has a more limited feature set despite being multiplayer - you can lose quite a lot of money if you select an unoptimal aircraft for an assignment. One always needs to match the fuel economy of an aircraft versus the potential income presented by the assignment. Choose a too big aircraft for a weakly paying assignment and you end up losing in the end. I hope the economy is set up in a similar challenging fashion.

Thank you for considering a reply,

Hans
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 9:34pm
Hi Hans!

1 - yes, as they deliver more cargo, they are promoted and can fly larger aircraft :) You can fire them if you want!

2 - AI pilots delivering cargo do not increase your company's reputation - you need to deliver jobs yourself to do that, and reputation is key!

3 - AH tracks all fuel purchases and consumption when you fly the job in FS. You can't refuel in Flight Sim without going back to AH to buy more and get it loaded on your aircraft - so you need to manage fuel. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Cheers,
S.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 12:26am
AI pilots delivering cargo do not increase your company's reputation, is good, if we want more reputation only us can do. What is the maximum reputation that our company can take?

The pilot salary grow when they are promoted?
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 12:55am

"What is the maximum reputation that our company can take?"

Company reputation is expressed as a percentage, so 100% is the highest.

"The pilot salary grow when they are promoted?"

Yes - that's exactly how it works.

John Allard

John Allard
Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 8:12am
Thank you for the detailed replies. An additional question came to my mind in the meanime:

Are the AI pilots created equal or do they have differing but hidden characteristics mostly in the way of how good pilots they are? What I am coming at is that I hope that they can also commit mistakes and do damages and all their landings are not greasers. What would be awesome is if they were different quality pilots as in some of them would do more mistakes but rarely you could find a hidden gem who is a very good and secure pilot and you then would have to strive to give him the most precious assignments. Obviously you would have to do some trial and error to find out whether a particular pilot is good or not. As they develop it could also turn out that they are not that good anymore in higher MTOW categories so in the end you could realize that this particular one is only good with small planes, etc.

Basically what I am aiming at is a hidden pilot abilities characteristis fopr each ai guy that would also change in time as they develop.

Please tell me this is in and I do not think I would ever fly again outside of the Air Hauler world.

Another not related question: what is the triger for opening a new base? Can you do it anytime or is it just wise to do it after the assignments are fully covered by you at any given base. Or do simply the assignments just run out and thats why you are triggered to move. Actually are there competing a companies in teh game that can infringe your territory?

Thanks again for the responses,

Hans
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 11:54am

Hi Hans, I think your questions are very interesting.

The AI pilots fascinate me also. If they are all different in their abilities then there is an extra element to this sim?  If they are able to "develop" or improve their skills within your company that would be cool.

What we dont want is to employ a poor pilot who is going to damage your expensive aircraft. Since I dont think there is an AI pilot ability rateing ( correct me Duncan and testers if I am wrong) and we cant view their CV and flying record then it may just be that they are all similar.  I suppose like real world pilots everyone can have a "bad day". If that is programmed it makes for a very real sim experience! And makes the "insurance" option a must. 

Gets your imagination going a bit doesnt it?  What a great concept this is!

Cheers.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 3:01pm

As to the capabilities of the AI pilots, we're not going to reveal too much and deprive you of the fun of discovering how it all works.  AI pilots do have accidents and events.  Whether to buy insurance for each aircraft is up to you.  It's not cheap, but neither is repairing damage.

You can see your AI pilots stats and history in a couple of places.  AI data shows up on the Completed Jobs table, several Ops Centre tables, the Pilots table and the Cash Book.  If you want to monitor how an individual AI pilot is performing there are plenty of ways to do it.

You may open a new base anytime, anywhere, as long as you can afford it.  There are no location, size or distance restrictions - the FS world is your apple.  There is a scenery import utility that permits AH to know about the details of new or modified airports in your FS installation. 

You won't run out of assignments at a base.  As jobs are completed or expire they are gradually replaced by others, so you'll never exhaust the opportunities at a base.  Bases cost money, however.  There is a base opening cost and then a monthly lease payment to be made for each one.  Bases also generate more jobs.  At a given "# of Jobs" slider setting, adding a base will increase the total number of jobs on the Jobs Board screen. 

John Allard

John Allard
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 7:19pm
Hi John thanks again for the input.

Hmmmm, now as the "boss" I dont want to employ a Stunt Pilot, so if I cant interview him I had better read up on his stats and history!!  But even then he may have been on the Bourbon the night before so my nice new Stationair may be at risk if I dont insure it?

I bet we will all get to know the "suspect" pilots after a while and only employ the ex Concord Captains!!!

Thanks again for the input. The product isnt on my drive yet but its producing that "Sim Element of Wonder"!!    I wonder if that C130.................................................:)
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 9:21pm
I should clarify that AI stats are only available for jobs they fly for you.  You cannot see a history on them before you hire them, unless Duncan has slipped in another last-minute feature I don't know about yet.  He does that to keep the test-team on our toes. 

As for the Captain Sim C-130, that's the best kind of flying there is - propellers, steam gauge cockpit, 3 dozen SimIcons, 15 hours of fuel, a 35,000 foot service ceiling and the smell of Jet A in the morning.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

John
John Allard
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 10:50pm
I love last-minute features ehehe...well, you never trust the AI pilots, pilot who harms the company, goes for the unemploymentEvil%20Smile

I see that this jewel of software for FS goes to create new horizontes in the simulation(they are many out there that I know too, online)but nothing like this, and its creator goes to give creativity edge sufficiently who to use AH for sure.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic