This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UAV shot down - Russia to blame?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UAV shot down - Russia to blame?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 2:57pm
Very interesting footage, hard for the Ruskies to dispute:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7359514.stm

Georgia today accused Russia of an “unprovoked act of aggression” after a Russian jet allegedly shot down an unmanned Georgian reconnaissance plane, Alexi Mostrous writes.

Officials in Georgia’s capital, Tbilisi, released video footage which they said showed a MiG-29 fighter launching a missile at the Georgian plane as it flew over the country’s breakaway Abkhazia region.

The allegation - dismissed as “nonsense” by Moscow - is likely to aggravate tensions between the countries, which are locked in a standoff over Georgia’s ambitions to join NATO and Moscow's support for Abkhaz separatists.

“The Government of Georgia strongly condemns the unprovoked act of aggression that took place on April 20, 2008,” the Georgian foreign ministry said in a statement. It summoned Russia’s ambassador to hand him a note of protest.

A spokesman for Russia’s air force said: “Nonsense. What would a Russian jet fighter be doing over Georgian territory?”

The video footage shows a jet aircraft banking to face the drone. A bright flash can be seen as a missile is launched and heads toward the drone.

A few seconds later the screen goes blank.

No identification markings are visible on the aircraft that fired the missile.

“A Russian MiG-29 fighter jet shot down an unarmed, unmanned air vehicle which was performing basic reconnaissance over Georgian territory,” Colonel David Nairashvili, commander of Georgia’s air force, told Reuters.

“It’s absolutely illegal for a Russian MiG-29 to be there,” he said.

“The MiG-29 has a distinctive twin-tail marking. It’s a Russian aircraft. Georgia does not possess it, nor do Abkhaz separatists.”

In Washington, a State Department spokesman, Tom Casey, said the United States was concerned by reports of the incident and was seeking information from the Russian Government.

Abkhazia, on the Black Sea coast, is internationally recognised as part of Georgia. It has been controlled by Moscow-backed separatists since a war in the early 1990s.

Abkhazia’s separatist administration said on Sunday that its own forces had shot down the drone because it was violating Abkhaz air space and breaching ceasefire agreements.

Last week, Georgia accused Moscow of a de facto annexation of Abkhazia and a second breakaway Georgian region, South Ossetia, after President Putin ordered his Government to establish closer ties with the separatists.

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:16pm

Fake?? Wink

Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:26pm
How do you figure that??

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 8:56am
Originally posted by ross1562 ross1562 wrote:

Fake?? Wink

Didn't realise the Georgians were known for their CGI skills Shocked
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
mavestar View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 10:25am
Isnt this footage from the new Tom Clancy game H.A.W.X Wink 

Still good footage to see when the missile comes in so so fast.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 10:28am
Georgian State Minister talking about the incident:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7361429.stm

I'm loving the weapon sitting on his cabinet Clap
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 11:38am
 . I love the way the Russians claim 'no way would be in their territory that's illegal'.

Tricky to argue with the footage, as martYn said, unless they are acclaimed for their top-notch CGI skills.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:00pm
Maybe Mrs Clinton will be threatening to obliterate Russia next? Might secure her a few more votes.

Surely experts in the field of video analysis will be able to tell if this video is real or fake? Personally I can't see how it could have been faked. With my untrained eye, the shadows etc all seem to indicate its real footage. Governments such as our own are certainly taking it seriously
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:13pm
Seems a highly likely scenario to me, the Russians nip into Georgian air space are seen by a UAV so some nutty Russian commander says take it out.

Wouldn't be the first time the Russians have been trigger happy in such circumstances. remember the passenger aircraft that was off course?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:22pm
Quote remember the passenger aircraft that was off course?

Didn't know anything about that strangely, for anyone else that doesn't know what Martin is referring to, they actually shot down two Korean Airlines aircraft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Flight_902

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:46pm
Martyn,
     I was merely putting the cat amongst the pigeons with that comment and with a hint of sarcasm! It looks real to me also but you never can tell!!!!! Wink
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:49pm
Roger that Ross, I did assume you were being sarcastic. Hence my CGI comment Thumbs%20Up

True, nowadays its hard to tell whether somethings are CGI. However it would surprise me this time
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 3:30pm
Hi,

I doubt it, unless they've got a hell of an eye of detail, too - watch how the smoke trail reacts to the MiGs air intakes - looks pretty darn realistic to me.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 3:48pm
Its a preview of FS11 Lamp
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic