This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new watch!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new watch!
    Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 8:00pm
Hey

About two years ago I got this tacky england watch which looked ok (it was metal and everything) but was a bit, as I said, tacky. Anyway amazingly it survived for two years and has only just packed in. So yesterday I went into town and got a new watch, and I'm well chuffed! I've always really liked watches so I thought I'd go for something that would be really special for me and I'd definetly look after (I'm very good at looking after things)!

So here it is, my brand new Seiko watch Star! It cost me £110 so I'm definetly paying for some of it! It's got a stopwatch that can time for up to 12 hours, and can also do things like laps and finishing times for two competitors, e.g. in a running race. The small circle on the right is seconds (real time seconds), the top circle does 20ths of a second (timer) and the bottom circle does hours and minutes (timer). The red second hand does seconds on the timer. It also has a tachymeter (those numbers around the edge), so that I can measure the average miles per hour of a vehicle and also measure how many jobs per hour! It also is water resistant up to 100m/10bar (out of intrest how many millibars is that). I also love it because it's definetly can be a pilots watch because the highest number on the tachymeter is 500, and no car can go at 500mph! Talking about mph and planes, is there any way on a general aviation/comercial aircraft so that you work out when you've done a mile, because in our car there's a display that shows your miles so you can tell when you've done a mile?

Thats the first time I've ever uploaded a picture onto photobucket directly from my phone!

Thanks for looking,

Dom
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 8:29pm
Hi,

Quote Talking about mph and planes, is there any way on a general aviation/comercial aircraft so that you work out when you've done a mile, because in our car there's a display that shows your miles so you can tell when you've done a mile?

It's called the ASI and your brain! Wink

Forgetting corrections for wind and altitude a moment: if it says 120 kts, that means 120 nm (nautical miles) per hour.

Altitude: For every 1,000ft of altitude, add 2% to the IAS to give TAS. TAS in zero wind = GS.

Wind is easy to figure out, too (a calculator or flight computer makes this easier):

Headwind component = COS(Heading Diff) * Wind Speed
Crosswind component = SIN(Heading DIff) * Wind Speed

So if you're heading North (000°), and the wind is 022°/45:

COS(22-0) * 45 = 0.927 * 45 = 41.7 kts headwind
SIN(22-0) * 45 = 0.374 * 45 = 16.8 kts crosswind (from the RIGHT)

If you're flying at 5,000 ft: (2% of 120 kts) * 5 + 120 = 10% of 120 = 12 + 120 = 132 kts TAS.

Headwind is 41.7kts (from above) so GS = 132-41.7 = 90.3 kts.

In 1 minute you travel: 90.3 / 60 = 1.5 nm.

QED. Cool

Best regards,
Vulcan.
frequentflier View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frequentflier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 1:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic