This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA book recommendation for you mathematitian's!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 1:14pm

Big%20smile I see my faith was placed well..

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 1:39pm
You don't understand, special relativity is on a whole 'nother level with relation to his other work. Spec.rel was a revolutionary theory at the time, it introduced some incredible ideas. That is why Einstein is recognised mainly as the guy who derived the theories of relativity, even to the general public. It's just not comparable to his other work.

As a result, his other work can be regarded as insignificant with respect with to what you're arguing. As for the supposed physicist you mentioned, he's an idiot. Of course einstein was a genius. You just can't create a theory like relativity without genius, it's simply not possible. Otherwise, you'd see many more people queuing for nobel prizes. As for saying his mathematical ability wasn't regarded as special, but that he was intelligent. If you're intelligent as Einstein, then you are likely a mathematical genius. The two are related. If you want to dispute that, that's fine, I have no concrete proof other than how common that trait appears.

However, at least one thing is fact. Einstein was a mathematical genius, how else did he give us his theories of relativity? He may have been given help with his prior work (notice how the physicist you mentioned says he used help in his EARLY career).

Adding the bit in brackets, that implies you do accept the possibility that she assisted with other areas of his work, thus agreeing with me, makes it very frustrating.

I'm not interested in debating anything with you.

Unless you fully understand what I'm saying first, don't make comments like that.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 2:35pm

You don't understand, special relativity is on a whole 'nother level with relation to his other work

Did you mean 'another'?

It's just not comparable to his other work.

So what, his wife still helped him and how can you know she didn't also assist with special relativity? I don't recall anyone saying she did it for him, just that she assisted him with the maths. Your premise was that the very notion was 'absurd'. It clearly isn't by your own admittance, I mean you did say 'at least with special relativity anyway'. So you admitted she may have helped with his other work. Nobody claims special relativity was formulated by his wife.

As for the supposed physicist you mentioned, he's an idiot. Of course einstein was a genius. You just can't create a theory like relativity without genius, it's simply not possible.

How can he be an idiot and be a theoretical physicist at the university of Plymouth. I think you will find that despite your burgeoning ego he understands physics and everything required to study the field far better than you.

Of course einstein was a genius. You just can't create a theory like relativity without genius

I think you will find that David McMullan agrees with you. Of course, being a very qualified physicist he recognises that theoretical physics requires other conceptual techniques as well as higher mathematics.  I’m sure he also recognises that Albert Einstein who in his earlier days taught mathematics was extremely talented at that endeavour, however, not as talented in this respect as many of his piers.

Interesting isn’t it. Because he was a little slow learning to talk, it’s speculated that he was dyslexic, and from that you infer that he was bad at numeracy. If you intend to be a physicist you may have to take a different approach.

I can picture the scene now… Young Albert sitting in the class, struggling with numeracy.

‘Don’t worry Albert,’ says his teacher. We’ll just move on to higher mathematics.

Last time I checked, you had to learn the basic first.

Just to give your expanding cranium something else to digest...

Quote We have all heard that math wasn't Einstein's strong point, and Ohanian ruthlessly lays out the details. A 12-page marathon calculation in Einstein's doctoral dissertation, "A New Determination of the Molecular Size," was "a comedy of errors" based on "zany" physical assumptions, such as treating sugar molecules dissolved in water as though they were tiny spheres sitting at rest instead of spinning like tops.

Fumbling ever forward, Einstein went on to commit more errors in the suite of famous papers he wrote in 1905, what came to be called his miracle year. The miracle, as Ohanian tells it, is that Einstein could have been wrong on so many details while coming through, in the end, with some of the greatest insights of the century.

In his paper on the photoelectric effect, for example, he claimed to prove that a phenomenon called blackbody radiation behaves like a gas made of light particles, or photons. Not so fast, Ohanian objects: Though the theory worked for high-frequency photons, Einstein glossed over the fact that it didn't work for low-frequency ones, "like a tailor who tells the customer how beautifully the jacket fits at the shoulders, and pretends not to notice that the sleeves are much too long, ending somewhere near the knees."

"The mistake is the sort of thing every amateur mathematician knows to watch out for," Ohanian scolds. Over the years, Einstein came up with more proofs; they all contained errors.

Sometimes, Einstein's friend Marcel Grossmann tried to help him with his figures but not always to good effect.

Some would argue that Einsteins creativity and intuition were his greatest gifts.

My last word, I’ll waste my time elsewhere, especially as your last sentence was arssy again.

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 3:41pm
alongside an interview and various teambuilding activities involves a pretty hard mental arithmetic test that you have to be super quick and effecient at working out hard sums in your head

Thanks for saying that, at least i know i've got a good brain, as the only problem i had on the Skills Assessment was the Physics test, when in my view they weren't even physic related questions eg, one question was how a hydraulic brake system works in a car, sorry but that doesn't seem like physics to me so if any of you decide to go for it watch out for them questions!
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Unless you fully understand what I'm saying first, don't make comments like that.

Odai, no disrespect but I think you should show some yourself. I'll allow some arrogance for your age and the fact that you've gone through a few years of schooling and think you know everything there is to know better than others but don't say any more because you're not coming across very well at all...
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 4:54pm
Quote How can he be an idiot and be a theoretical physicist at the university of Plymouth. I think you will find that despite your burgeoning ego he understands physics and everything required to study the field far better than you.

The university of Plymouth isn't exactly the most reputable uni in the country. Take a look at their course requirements (physics isn't even offered). Either way, theoretical physicist or not, he says Einstein is not a genius, and then you give me evidence he says he is. 'Nuff said.

Quote Interesting isn’t it. Because he was a little slow learning to talk, it’s speculated that he was dyslexic, and from that you infer that he was bad at numeracy. If you intend to be a physicist you may have to take a different approach.

Not once did I say Einstein was bad at numeracy. Numeracy has nothing to do with it. Most people can be good at numeracy, as long as you have no specific condition such as dyscalculia, it just takes a lot of effort.

Quote I can picture the scene now… Young Albert sitting in the class, struggling with numeracy.
‘Don’t worry Albert,’ says his teacher. We’ll just move on to higher mathematics.

Last time I checked, you had to learn the basic first.

Either you're doing that deliberately to wind me up, or you just can't seem to get it into your head. Numeracy isn't "the basic". It has NOTHING to do with maths, it just helps speed up the process a little. Ask anyone who has even a slight understanding of what maths is about and they'll agree with me (infact, I've discussed this sort of stuff with my physics/maths teachers before I applied to uni, and they totally agreed with me). I'm sorry martin, but you're totally wrong with your assumptions.

As for the idea Einstein made mistakes in his mathematical work, so what? How does that act against the idea he was more of a genius than anyone? The idea he made mistakes is due to recklessness. You can be reckless whether you are mentally disabled, or a total genius. No link at all.

There are people I know who are awesome at maths, but make mistakes here there and everywhere. There are some people who are very, very careful and make 0 errors, but really struggle with maths.

Einstein could have been a genius but still make many mistakes (due to the possibility he was dyslexic). I suggest you actually do a little research on this particular issue.

Dyslexia increases the chance you will struggle with numeracy. That's a fact. I've shown you also how it is possible to be a mathematical genius but still be poor at numeracy, just like it appears Einstein was. Most people would rather be a genius, as numeracy is almost totally useless due to modern calculators etc. I now rely totally on my calculator, and refuse to learn the silly methods of working out sums such as long multiplication that you get taught early in your education at school.

Martin, you've made several references to how you think I am being arrogant. To be honest, nobody here is being proud and arrogant other than yourself. I've never showed off. I have never said anything with respect to my own abilities. Look through my posts, the only things I've stated with regard to this is how you display a clear lack of understanding on some of the topics. Nothing arrogant about what I've said. You just don't know your stuff.

Quite frankly, I don't care about what your interpretation of arrogance is, as firstly, I'm not, and secondly, it's a debate. I'll say anything to get my point across, and it doesn't matter.

I know there are far better sources than the ones you mentioned that back what I've said, and the very fact you've displayed a lack of knowledge on the whole issue is enough for me to say I reckon you're totally wrong. Unless you want to respect the views of others, and not just discount them as either arrogance or rubbish, don't debate.

I'm not going to post about this again, as for a few posts now all I've done is repeat myself over and over again. I can't think of any other ways to explain what I'm saying, so I won't bother.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:23am

Not once did I say Einstein was bad at numeracy.

Numeracy is simply being able to manipulate numbers.

Some people simply cannot manipulate numbers very well, but are extraordinary mathematical geniuses. There are many conditions which cause this (inc. dyslexia, dyscalculia, aspergers I think). Einstein was one of them (this is commonly misinterpreted as Einstein was bad at maths - a load of nonsense).

I won't bother with the other inconsistencies.

Quote It's strange how you argue with my on absolutely anything I say, even when you seem to have limited knowledge on it.

Either you're doing that deliberately to wind me up, or you just can't seem to get it into your head

I'll say anything to get my point across, and it doesn't matter.

you've displayed a lack of knowledge on the whole issue

Unless you want to respect the views of others, and not just discount them as either arrogance

Certainly respect others views, but aroagance is determined by attitude, not opinion.
Do you see magic's point, you are not coming across very well. Don't know why there's a edge to the topics you contribute to these days.

I think it's about time this debate said goodnight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic