This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F-Lite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how far

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how far
    Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 8:34am
Hi people,

I am planing to get dc-10 collection  so I wanted to know how far it could fly in turms of Nuatical miels as I want to do a marathon to australia from Heathrow. and yes I know I need more then 2 stops.  But I have already begun to plan the flight so any ideas are welcome.
up,up,up into the cruise, down,down,down into Toulouse

Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 9:16am
Hi
As in real aviation your range depends on a number of things included wingspan, Altitude, weight and weather. I can fly the DC-10 to phoinex and a full tank.
Edward
Dc-10 nutter View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 9:53am
I am going to have a full tank of fuel at 325 knots and around 34000 ft with clear weather in the Dc-10 30 BA

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 12:20pm
It I was you I would cruise around the maximam allowable around 40-42,000ft
335kts would be best for long hual
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 8:01pm
Hi Edward,

So if I crusie at 38000 and 330 knots which I probably will how far will I be able to fly in clear weather and dc-10 30

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 9:03pm
you'd proberly crash some where around india to the north coast of aus my advice is to stop in dubai and singerpore.
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 7:07pm
Okay so If I stop near or in Dubai and singapore Then sydney I will not die.

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 9:39pm
Yep
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 9:12am
My reccomendation: experiment. In my experience different aircraft all have different consumption characteristics. On my first few flights in a new aircraft I make notes of fuel consumption at various combinations of speed and altitude (all airliners I've come across have guages measuring fuel flow in pounds per hour - usually per engine so remember to multiply by number of engines). I then use this info for planning fuel required for future flights. Add in a sensible reserve, and have a guess at wind speed/direction aloft (I mostly fly in the continental US and use +/- 50 kts east/westbound as an average jetstream guess). Then once en route I adjust speed/altitude according to the conditions I find. - Still a fair few variables that can throw things out but for me that keeps things from being dull routine!
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 10:16am
A thought: Dubai and Singapore are nowhere near the optimum great circle route London-Sydney. That goes way north, across China, skirting north then west of Tibet, exiting over Hainan island. If you could make it n/s to Hong Kong (or maybe Macao, or somewhere in SE China) then you should be good for Sydney.

BTW, the speeds quoted above, are they IAS or TAS? If IAS, 330 kts at 38,000 sounds a bit high to me, won't that be above MMO? For TAS otoh that sounds a bit low. I don't have DC-10 experience, but I find modern airliners generally cruise most economically around 250KIAS.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 10:48am
I did this route I stopped at dubai and singerpore and I mdde it fine it depends what route you take there is the eastern route over the middle east on the western route over china
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 2:57pm
okay what I may do is try to persue it and try to get to hong kong and then see if I need to make a fuel stop in Indonisia then sydney.  Or I may go into Dubai then again indonisia if I have to or staight to Australia.  I don't know yet, to make things worse my 747 is broken and dosen't work proberly because it flys with a constent 10 degree pitch up.  Shall go put the routes in to fsx and see then report back.

P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 3:37pm
Right I have just put in the flight plans to sydney and the one that looks like it will worrk is the Dubai sing Sydney as the first leg is a lot shorter then the hong kong flight so it would seem that the sing one I would live to see where as the hong kong I may have to go into Beijing before hong kong.  Looking at FSX after sing I can either go to Sydney or stop in Indonisia if I wanted to.  please leet me know your thoughts on this.Smile

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 10:17pm
It's up to you really youre doing the flight not me. My advice is stop where you need to
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic