This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Avro Vulcan B Mk. 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan fde/cfg, help please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buspelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vulcan fde/cfg, help please!
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:58pm
This is a stunning bird in all aspects! But I just wondeer, I have never flown a real Vulcan, so this is maybe the way she "feels" in the rudder/controls etc... But I think its a bit hard to keep her steady and level during manual "hands on" flying on the approach. She is wery, "slippery" and slow in rudder/aileron/elev. response. Hard to keep her in line an straight during approach. I know she is not a Piper Tomahawk, but is there a way fo me to laborate with the cfg? And in that case where is the cfg located? I fly P3DV4.
Anyone else have these "problems"? And I still cant get the autopilot to work ok, she still wont hold altitude, despite the last update... She keeps slowley climbing/decending...
Andy help here please?
Best regards
Per
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:17pm
I have had four Vulcan pilots advising me on the flight characteristics - a couple of things they all agreed on are the need to lead with rudder into turns at circuit speeds; rudder first, backed up by roll from the elevons. Also, trimming the rudder was something that you had to be constantly on top of. With the Yaw Dampers turned off, any disturbance of the control surfaces would lead to a lot of swaying / dutch roll. Even with them turned on, if you watch the cockpit footage from XH558 you can see a lot of swaying.

Unfortunately, the default FS yaw dampers take over the rudder too much, particularly when (as here) you will need a lot of rudder usage. I am hopeful that we have a slightly better solution in the works but it will not be immediate.

The Vulcan is not an ordinary aircraft, it has many quirks and distinctive flying characteristics and I am still working to get as much of the information I have had access to incorporated.

Cheers,
Paul.
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:25pm
I find that ALT HOLD works but the aircraft oscillates around the selected altitude. It may be that you need to have the pitch set absolutely level before engaging the ALT HOLD?
As for the flying characteristics, I think it will take some practice. My problem is maintaining a constant speed, but, I have no problems with direction.
I read Tony Blackburn's book, about test flying the Vulcan and he said that she flys more like a fighter than a bomber.

buspelle View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buspelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 6:31pm
Thanks a lot Paul! And I am sure that its all about me an more practice is needed.
I will keep doing my "go-arounds" untill i make it perfect! 
Best regards
Per
buspelle View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buspelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 7:45pm
...any help regarding the location of the Vulcan cfg? in P3DV4...
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:20pm
Did you install in the main Lockheed folder or did you install as an external file? Wherever you installed to, the .cfg will be in /install location/P3D4/Simobjects/airplanes/JF Vulcan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic