This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan VC textures too weathered ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vulcan VC textures too weathered ?
    Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 9:52am
I hope you fine folks at JF don't mind me mentioning this. I've been looking at the some of the development shots of the Vulcan's VC recently, and I think it looks a bit too tatty in places. The textures may be faithful to a museum aircraft that's been out service for decades, but surely not for an aircraft still in RAF service..?

One example is the centre console, which seems to have suffered a coffee spill down the left hand side. Wouldn't some erk have been detailed to clean it up ?

I know that at the end of their lives, there wouldn't have been much spent on them, and temporary fixes would have sufficed, with Dymo labels aplenty, scratches from screwdriver blades and so on. But looking at some of the pictures, the impression I am getting is 'derelict' rather than 'normal wear and tear'.

Weathering is like mustard on a ham sandwich. It's nice, but more and more doesn't mean nicer and nicer. It's better if used sparingly. Your Canberra PR9 VC weathering was just about perfect, and serves as a good example for the Vulcan, IMO.

So, please - can you spruce it up just a little bit so the crew chief doesn't go ballistic ? Wink

Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Paul K Paul K wrote:

I hope you fine folks at JF don't mind me mentioning this. I've been looking at the some of the development shots of the Vulcan's VC recently, and I think it looks a bit too tatty in places. The textures may be faithful to a museum aircraft that's been out service for decades, but surely not for an aircraft still in RAF service..?

One example is the centre console, which seems to have suffered a coffee spill down the left hand side. Wouldn't some erk have been detailed to clean it up ?

I know that at the end of their lives, there wouldn't have been much spent on them, and temporary fixes would have sufficed, with Dymo labels aplenty, scratches from screwdriver blades and so on. But looking at some of the pictures, the impression I am getting is 'derelict' rather than 'normal wear and tear'.

Weathering is like mustard on a ham sandwich. It's nice, but more and more doesn't mean nicer and nicer. It's better if used sparingly. Your Canberra PR9 VC weathering was just about perfect, and serves as a good example for the Vulcan, IMO.

So, please - can you spruce it up just a little bit so the crew chief doesn't go ballistic ? Wink

Mention away Paul but in this instance the answer is no I'm afraid. It's based 100% on the XM655 as those are the reference photos that are used for the texture work. As far as we know the condition of XM655 is largely reflective of how it left RAF service, and it's now too late in the project to start modifying the base textures.  Sorry about that.
Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 5:38pm
Okeydokey, I had to bring it up, and I'll be buying the Vulcan anyway - unwiped coffee spill or not. Looking forward to it immensely. Smile
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Paul K Paul K wrote:

Okeydokey, I had to bring it up, and I'll be buying the Vulcan anyway - unwiped coffee spill or not. Looking forward to it immensely. Smile

Thank you.  And no worries, often good to get these things off your chest  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic