This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Iron Maiden singer helps stranded XL Passengers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden singer helps stranded XL Passengers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Maiden singer helps stranded XL Passengers
    Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 11:09am
Don't know if this has been done already ( I read this in a newspaper on the 15/09 while at Gatwick waiting for my flight)but Bruce Donkinson was one of the pilots who helped the stranded XL Passengers. Bruce finished his holiday early to help passengers who were stuck in Egypt and Greece.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 11:23am
Its nice to see such commited crew, although I wonder whether they really 'volunteered' to put back holidays etc...
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Its nice to see such commited crew, although I wonder whether they really 'volunteered' to put back holidays etc...

if someone (like me ) takes time off and go away they can't force you to go back if you take paid leave. Maybe it's different in the Aviation world. At the moment though i have no idea
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 12:25pm

I assumed he was flying his own plane, didn't know he was working for an airline - why? I assume he doesn't need the money, probably just his interest...

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 1:22pm

Bruce flies a 757 for Astraeus believe it or not magic; he is actually a fully fledged airline pilot. Fly's passengers around part time for them when he's not touring with Iron maiden.

It was on the BBC a while back regarding his XL rescue mission, the media putting an act of mercy slant on it, but in reality Bruce was just doing his job. I'm sure Astraeus get great publicity from having a heavy metal hero as a regular pilot.

Have you not seen the heavy metal series on Discovery, hosted by Bruce, great series, and he’s a pretty good airline pilot. He's not like Travolta that just turns up in a uniform like an idiot.

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

I assumed he was flying his own plane, didn't know he was working for an airline - why? I assume he doesn't need the money, probably just his interest...

it is, its a passion he has like the rest of us, when Iron Maiden broke in '93 he learned to fly just doing a PPL but he got into it then got upto airline standard, when Iron Maiden reformed in '99 he carried on working for Astraeus but took leave when the band went on tour, 2 years ago he was promoted to captain.

Iron Maiden also do have their own plane, a 757, with a callsign 'Ed Force One' when the band go on tour Bruce is the one who flies them.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:01pm
Yep, I knew he was 757 qualified and had his own aircraft - didn't know he took it up as a career though...
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Have you not seen the heavy metal series on Discovery, hosted by Bruce, great series, and he’s a pretty good airline pilot. He's not like Travolta that just turns up in a uniform like an idiot.

about that does he still fly his 707?
Trident View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 11:25pm
If you go onto Google map, put in Anthony, Florida and take a close satellite view, you will see his B707 to the East centre of the runway. It's actually parked adjacent to his front porch! How cool is that. He recently flew it to Australia to meet up with the newly restored Qantas B707 that flew out from Stansted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic