This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DHC-3 Otter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Otter Autopilot - Is there a manual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toonfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Otter Autopilot - Is there a manual?
    Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:17pm
Just wondering if there is a manual for the autopilot?
It doesn't behave like other versions of a KAP140 (if that is what it is simulating) and I'd like to get the best out of it.

Thanks.
BarryM View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:53pm
I had the same question after recently buying the Otter. There is a detailed manual on the GPS and the ADF panels, but nothing on the AP. I experimented quite a while, then contacted Tech Support.
I was informed that one wasn't published because it was a common AP in the industry and it was not necessary (!!). I did not like this reply. I did find a manual after doing a Google search for Otter autopilot. It is a Bendix/King KAP 140 autopilot, and is also available in the Beaver.
However, there are flaws in the Just Flight version - e.g. if you click Baro button it goes dark and will not allow one to change from In HG to kPa units as the Bendix manual says. The rotary button will rotate OK, but there should be an outer ring as well, according to Bendix. Finally, if you click Arm, it goes dark, never to return. Bugs for sure! I wish Just Flight had been more responsive.
Toonfan View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toonfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:55am
Hi Barry. Yes, that is what prompted my question - the KAP 140 is fairly common but this version does not work in the same way as other examples such as the Milviz.
I don't know if that's by design or if it's buggy but a manual would be really helpful.
BarryM View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:14am
On related problems for the Otter, see my other thread on this site for a problem I have with setting frequencies on the radio panel - one cannot see the frequency dialed by rotating the knob until one clicks the Active/Standby knob twice. It just does not make sense - you should be able to see the frequency change as you rotate the knobs. The radio is 95% useless when flying. You have to figure how much of a freq change is produced by one click of the knob.
Somebody in the design shop had too many beers for lunch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic