This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > L-1011 TriStar
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone able to hand fly an approach in this thing?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone able to hand fly an approach in this thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:44pm
I tried manually and failed and with the DLC and failed... Probably I am too heavy will try again with a lighter fuel load...Managed to crash the L1011 thrice on landing and once on climb.
BE19Pilot View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BE19Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:40pm
First suggestion would be to go out and do some "airwork"...steep turns, climbs, descents and with various configurations and weights...Then circuits...VERY easy airplane to fly.
Tail_Spin View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tail_Spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 4:06am
I would agree completely.  I love flying this plane.  You have to go to the overhead panel and on the upper left you will find 2 DLC switches, turn them off and use 33 flaps.  Don't forget everything is slow in this plane.  You get a sense of the size and weight of the thing.  You can't just jerk it around like a 172, (you will get better with practice, watch the video and you will see).  You must get used to using a longer final approach than normal because you don't have the time and distance to maneuver if you are too far off from your correct descent and runway alignment.  Watch out on the final phase of the approach, .. if you let it slow too much it will start to drop like a rock.  Once you get to know it you will be much better at landing.  Watch my landing at KGRR on youtube.  Search  for "P3D Rocky landing Grand Rapids".  
speedbird438 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedbird438 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Hi, these aircraft are a different beast and if you do not configure it properly you will find it hard to control on final approach. The plane is really simple to fly once configured properly and it's a real delight to fly...I regularly use it on some legs instead of the PMDG 744 - so it's got to be good for me to sub it for the Queen of the skies. There are some good suggestions above. Since this title relates to hand flying it - you will be able to if you perform the following  -  some are covered above by others:

1) Plan your flight before takeoff - I use Simbrief - it's free. It'll provide you everything you need...the main point being it will let you know how much fuel you're going to need. Trying to land the aircraft when it's  too heavy isn't going to work is it? If you're doing circuits to practice your landing put a low amount of fuel in the tanks:

2) This thread relates to hand flying it...turn DLC off - 2 switches above the captain.
3) Turn YAW dampers off -  2 switches above the captain.
4) Turn CMD switch off
5) Turn ATS off
6) Trim the aircraft  ..this is critical
7) Tune to the ILS frequency if available and put in the correct course heading for the runway  - it will help you follow the GS down;
8) Flaps - 33 degrees flap at 155 KTS speed  - continue to trim the aircraft all the way down
9) Flare up to 8 degrees on touch down - if you've trimmed the plane properly on final it will help for a smooth landing.

I regularly fly the Tristar for a well know British VA on VATSIM and I can tell it's a real joy for other virtual pilots to see something different. Enjoy it and don't give up...it's an absolute pleasure to fly.
Over 20 year FlightSim P3DV4, XP11 FSX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic