This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > C-46 Commando
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C-46 after SP3 (version 106)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C-46 after SP3 (version 106)
    Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 2:48pm
The relationship between manifold pressure and RPM seems to still be off. Stationary run up requires way too much MP before RPM starts to climb which isn’t realistic. Engines seem to spool up to correct RPM part way down the runway on take off. Climb and cruise are ok. During decent with props set to high RPM if you reduce throttle beyond a certain point the RPM will drop significantly which causes the plane to slow dramatically. Again not realistic. RPM Is directly related to Prop RPM lever position regardless of throttle position. Am I missing a setting somewhere or does the C-46 still need some fixing?

Kanaka View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 4:09am
Basically its still the same as SP2 with some superflous changes. Dont know why they bothered with SP3 as it did not address any of the major complaints. So the kids are still in charge, feel sorry for the designers who put all the effort into the visuals just to be let down by very poor authenticity.
They must think the engines run on steam by the way they accelerate.

PeterL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:57am
What about the current state of the C46 after the release of SP3. Have all the problems concerning climb performance etc been solved? I am not very interested in gauges displaying rw data or not, is the aircraft useable for the average flightsimmer like me?  How does it behave compared with the JF DC6 or Connie?
I still did not buy this addon because of all the complaints and shortcomings I read about in this forum,
If most of these problems have been solved and only RPM and MP readings do not show correct values, but climb and cruise are ok I think I will purchase the C46

Some advice would be nice, thanks.

pnsthomas View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnsthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:07pm
Better to wait. Is not just a matter of gauges displaying, is about the perfomace of the plane. The plane is flyable if you don't care to have full throtle to climb and you don't care about the prop settings. During cruise the things are a little better but still RPM  have not change even if prop lever  is in full position or in ther middle. Are many other less important issues need fixing like DME. "Service pack 3" fix nothing important, for me is more a bad joke.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:12am
Fortunately it wasn't a bad joke for everyone and fixed quite a few issues that had been reported by customers over the past couple of months...

Further FDE work is on-going hence it not being listed as included in this update. We decided not to delay the other fixes until an updated FDE was available.

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:39pm
I thought JF's in-house efforts certainly made the aircraft usable, which IMO it really wasn't up till that point. I too recognize the MP and prop RPM problem that exist, but I hope that the whole thing can be packaged up into a new FDE soon, either by AH or JF. It really is worth doing, because it's a first class model.
mallan157 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallan157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:40pm
If there's going to be a new release in due course to improve the FDE can I also make a plea for a useable NAV2 in the military VC? The NAV2 radio is in the stack and works, but with no OBI or RMI needle and no DME display its actually of no use at all! As an aerospace engineer the expense and weight penalty of a redundant unit makes me cringe! If an extra gauge is too much to ask, how about a simple NAV1/NAV2 switch next to the radio compass to choose which radio the VOR needle is showing?

The civilian VC could still use some tweaks to the nav instruments to make them properly independent and functional too.

I'm very fond of this C-46 model, and it shows a lot of good work, but its sad when the JF/AH aircraft are  released before their development is completed. Properly functional instruments are essential, especially on older aircraft where GPS would not be the norm.
Kanaka View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 2:10am
Whooo, I just see AH/JF have a Lancaster released. Looks great but after what they did to the C46 I won’t buy AH again. Wonder if they will get around to fixing the C46.
thunderstreak View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:52am
I hope they will give some more attention to the 46 as well. As stated before, visually outstanding, but far too many issues that have yet to be dealt with. I will spend my money elsewhere for now.

spooky View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 9:04am
+1

Richard
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 1:22pm
I’m wondering if Just Flight is still working on the FDE for the 46 and if any more updates are forthcoming? I understand from a member of the AH team that they are not working on it, as it is considered a JF product, and any further work must come through JF.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 1:32pm
As a side note, against my better judgement I purchased the Bulldog. Visually it is beautiful but I find (imho) it doesn’t fly realistically. The relationship between aileron and rudder control is off. Performing aerobatic maneuvers it doesn’t react realistically to control inputs. For me it has been relegated to the hangar. I am not here to bash AH or JF, just offering my 2 cents as a real world, aerobatic qualified pilot. That said, as much as I would love to add the Lanc to my stable, I’m going to pass for now.

Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by thunderstreak thunderstreak wrote:

I’m wondering if Just Flight is still working on the FDE for the 46 and if any more updates are forthcoming? I understand from a member of the AH team that they are not working on it, as it is considered a JF product, and any further work must come through JF.

I would also like to know whether the C-46 is going to receive further remedial work. It was intimated in the past, but nothing further has been said.

Gentlemen at Just Flight - may we have the final word on this ? Is the C-46 going to be developed further and if so, can we have a date please?  This really shouldn't be left open-ended any longer.

Regards.

Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:49pm
Okay, I'll try and address some of this:

As the C46 was originally given to JF for publishing, there were some issues with the FDE which caused complaints. I was asked to step in and 'make it flyable' with a timescale of about a week (which I managed to stretch to a fortnight). Bear in mind that I normally spend longer than that just researching an aircraft, also that my work for JF is done in my spare time around real-world shifts and a family. I can't remember if I started work on the C46 with SP2 or 3, I suspect the former.
I don't like adjusting an already-defined FDE as you don't start with a clean slate, moving one thing  could have unexpected repercussions elsewhere, I might inadvertently alter something that people actually like which then leads to further complaints - on top of it all, there is a lack of familiarity with the aircraft and its FDE which cannot be adequately addressed in a week or so.

That's the background. Now to the future:

Firstly, I have been asked to look at this again, and my proposal is as follows: To take the engines from an existing JF product (building an engine being roughly half the work of an FDE). This will likely be the DC6, as the engines are virtually the same. I'll take the tables from the airfile and the sections from the aircraft.cfg file, make a couple of necessary adjustments and see what we have. The engines seem to be the main bone of contention since the initial aerodynamic adjustments.

Secondly, you will have to accept that this is NOT a study-level product at the same level of fidelity as (e.g.) the PA28 series or some of the other projects in the in-house workspace. I'll try and get it as good as I can, but if you go looking for problems you will most likely find them. On the instruments, I don't think that JF coded them.

Thirdly, if there is anything (aside from the engines) you wish to see adjusted in the FDE then feel free to make a little list here - I can't promise, but if I don't know then I definitely can't fix it! If, however, it involves a complete re-write, that is not going to happen.

Lastly, to answer some of the comments directly:
Paul, No you cannot have a date for thisLOL I'm sorry, but there are currently two in-house aircraft scheduled for release in the very near future which are my priority. I will try to fit the adjustments in between those and settling down to build the Vulcan, the 747, the ******, ************ and *****. That's about all I can promise. 
Thunderstreak, Bulldog is entirely AH, nothing to do with this forum. Lanc is AH with JF publishing - generally a demo is released of AH/JFpub so pick it up when it comes out and make an informed decision.

Open offer to participants of this thread - drop me a pm with your email address and I'll happily send you the files to try out and see what you think of them when I get a chance to make the adjustments.

Cheers,
Paul.
Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:32pm
Well, Paul, at least it's information, and that's what we needed.  I think people, including myself, are concerned that the C-46 has been cast adrift, and so your post is very reassuring.

Your sterling efforts previously made the thing flyable at least, but it's still not a terribly enjoyable experience when compared to something like Manfred Jahn's C-47 and C-117. Looking at the good overall quality of the model, it really does deserve some polishing. It's a lovely thing to look at, without a doubt.

Understood on the date - I know you must be busy, but at least now we know. I think you still have my email address from the last SP testing - I'll send it anyway. Thanks again for your response. Smile
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:55pm
Thanks for the detailed update, much appreciated!
PM sent.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic