This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DHC-3 Otter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Otter - Needs Work Still

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Otter - Needs Work Still
    Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 4:40am
I am disappointed by the Otter. While textures and some other issues were fixed with the patch, the issue of the flight dynamics, engine power or performance problems and general performance of this model continue to frustrate. I do no want a refund or the like but I would like the following issues addressed properly. This is otherwise an excellent product with great textures, systems etc but:

1. Both RPM and MP increase and decrease too quickly for a big radial engine.
2. The aircraft accelerates in climb and in level flight was too quickly for this type of aeroplane and most certainly with any sort of load will not reach 125 kts plus. 
3. The continuous shaking or simulated buffet at about 125 knots is plain ridiculous, the model is unstable and jerks about, 
4, Because of 1 and 2 finding a realistic flight mode where cruise is at about 105 knots becomes problematic. 

Playing with around with head movement values in the FSX config file was for me a waste of time, it did noting to correct the aberrant behavious. 

In summary the Otter was a flying truck, slow, slow and slow but a good stol aeroplane. This one falls out of the sky at 73 knots, um no it is below 60 knots actually. 

Common guys this is a very good model and piece of work otherwise, Can you not fix these issues?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:14am
Hi Mike,

We'll forward your feedback to the developer so any fixes can be included in the next update.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Craig.Haskell View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Technical Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig.Haskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:05pm
Please could you email support@justflight.com with these issues.

Kind regards

Mike Hart View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:05am
Sure will do. Background on my assessment: 
1. I have been using and working in flight simulation since it first arrived as a computer program. So I know what to expect and what can be done.

2. I am a retired Real World Pilot (QFI and ATO, IFR and M/E), I have flown little and big aeroplanes, tail-draggers and tricycle geared aeroplanes, pistons and turboprops. I have nearly ten years experience in bush flying in real STOL aeroplanes. So I know what to expect.

3. Rule 1 in aviation performance and flying:

ATTITUDE + POWER = PERFORMANCE always. 

Piston radials are low rpm torque motors, bigger they get more ooomph thats all.
Fixed pitch props control power output, the Otter had a variable pitch prop not a true featherable constant speed prop, so the governed RPM range was restricted (Except in a dive when redline can be achieved). Squaring the engine was the rule so 22"MP + 2200 RPM would be normal very difficult to do this in this model why? Drag coefficients are either out of whack or speed range of the model does not fit the design (wing, weight and size), Acceleration is far too rapid and to maintain correct cruise speed requires power to be brought back to what I would regard as descent power settings or very low speed cruise [loitering or holding] (below 20"MP).

The rest of the model is great and very high quality so it would be nice to drag the aerodynamics and the power back into line. 

Good Luck
Mike Hart View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:19am
Any news or ideas on when we might get an update or fixes?
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Mike Hart Mike Hart wrote:

Common guys this is a very good model and piece of work otherwise, Can you not fix these issues?

Actually, I've observed that it's not a very good model at all, the engine cowling appear to be the wrong profile if you compare its shape to photographs and schematics of the real aeroplane, I was hoping this would be fixed, but apparently not from the product page, so it's one of the few JF offerings which I tried when it was released, but decided not to buy. However I came back to check it out to see about patches and possible fixes since I got a newsletter subscriber discount code which knocks it down to half price this weekend, but the absence of news on this thread in relation to issues people have mentioned about performance too and no reply to a post from a few months back, does not convince me it is worth it even at half price. 
hanss View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 12:07pm
All,
I was hoping to see some improvement in the working of the autopilot and the radio stack as mentioned earlier on this forum.
I am not a real pilot, so I cannot judge the precise behaviour of the aircraft as described by Mike. But what seems odd to me is that at 124 kts the message overspeed appears. I would think that is a bit early on the speed scale.
Any news on updates?
Regards
Hans
Mike Hart View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:04am
Gave up waiting for any fixes bought the MILVIZ Otter, flies perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic