This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSW Tornado?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSW Tornado?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:53pm
Is anyone using the SSW Tornado?

I have purchased this form JF.

Just very curious to hear if anyone has any success with it?

My mission is to re create the Dambusters raid. Using the same route the 617 Lancaster guys used. Obviously I don't have any "Upkeeps", but the low level route, at night will be the challenge.

Every waypoint must be entered but hand into a notepad plan, using lat/long done in decimal format, to six decimal places. So there is no using the FSX/P3d planner!

If I can get the navigation system to work, that would be helpful. At first try, the INS seems a bit wonky. The route I made placed my actual aircraft position 200 miles from where I was?

Early days yet, however SSW does state in the tablet (manual) that the auto pilot is a "work in progress"...read that it doesn't work, nice! Those Gibson guys didn't have an autopilot either.😀

Regards
David
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
Since no one around has answered. I will just add these words.
An interesting, challenging simulation.
Good points are;
Moving map for pilot is excellent with three very detailed areas, UK , Germany and Italy. (The coders are Italian)
Complex handling, it is a challenge to fly well.
Bombs and Sidewinders work out of the box with no need for Tacpack.
Good support from the SSW site.

Negative points are;

Big VAS footprint. I got this in P3dv3, a big mistake! This led me to have Oom in under 29 minutes! It needs P3dv4. Which I may or may not get since there is no Just Flight P3dv4 upgrade path.
No back seat.
The rear seat nav display is a 2d pop up. Shows route in wireframe as opposed to lat/long waypoints.
The flight plans require you to make them by entering all waypoints in a notepad, with correct syntax. Each waypoint must be lat/long in decimal, to six decimal places. No using FSX/P3D route planner here!
The three moving area maps need to be downloaded from the SSW site. Not a big deal but just be aware that it needs these to be added. They are super detailed. Using TIR and zoom in to the display you can read names of everything from small villages to VOR's! It's very good! You need these to use the terrain following. Also good since it's using it's own Geo nav data for elevation.
No autopilot. It's a WIP?
No track nav.
Feels like they did what they thought was enough and stopped developing it. Lots of switches go nowhere. If they had carried on a bit, it would be a worthy DCS module!

Overall verdict. I like it. Do I like it enough to buy it again for P3dv4.......?????

Best regards
David

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic