This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoke effect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoke effect
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:01pm
I have seen this in the past with all Arrow/Warrior versions in P3D and never managed to get rid of. This smoke effect that shows like black squares. I have already tried to delete shaders and also reinstalled P3D v4 Content with no luck. Is it an effect that I can disable somehow?

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:18am
Hi Dimus,

The Arrow and Warrior use default effects which should be included in your P3D installation:

water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_tchdrt
concrete=fx_sparks
touchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1

Can you try commenting out those lines in the aircraft.cfg file (add // to the start of each line) to see if the effect disappears?

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Dimus View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:06pm
Thanks Martyn, and sorry for the late reply as I was travelling.

I tried eliminating all the effects one by one. The offending effect is the fx_dummy for startup, which uses an aurora.bmp texture. Once commented out, no problem, although now another effect with white smoke and some black smoke appears on startup, which actually shows nice.

Edit: I just realized that you use the fx_dummy effect because you simply do not wish to have a startup effect. It seems however that the texture used by the fx_dummy effect, the fx_aurora.bmp, somehow renders like this in my install. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 8:15am
Hi Dimus,

As you've noted, the dummy effect is used as the Warrior doesn't require a smoke effect for engine start. It sounds like another developer has added an actual effect with that name to the effects folder within P3D, causing it to load/use that effect. I'd suggest leaving it commented out.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Dimus View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 7:11pm
You are absolutely right Martyn. I have actually found which one it was and I'm taking it up with them. Apologies for the fuss.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic