This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to get the autopilot working properly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolypolyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get the autopilot working properly
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:59am
I just bought the DC-8 a few days ago and the vertical aspects of the autopilot don't seem to work properly.  I found some references like "pilot notes" but none of the info seems to work.

1) I engaged the autopilot through the 3 switches in front of the yoke and the servo switch all the way forward to autopilot, but vertically the airplane doesn't respond, and just climbs or descends randomly.  There's no way to set a vertical speed.

2) I can't figure out how to set a target altitude.  This is not described anywhere in the manual.

3) There's a gauge above the autopilot showing what looks like speed, altitude, and vertical speed, but there's no way to manipulate it, not even through center-clicking and mouse wheel.  The only thing that changes on here is vertical speed through the wheel switch, but it has no effect on what the airplane does... the vertical speed set here and the airplane vertical speed don't ever match.

Any information would be appreciated.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:40am
Are you using the Series 10-40 or Series 50-70? A service pack is currently being produced for the Series 50-70 which will replace the autopilot.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
rolypolyman View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolypolyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:26am
Oh sorry, I'm using only the 50-70. I have mostly been working in the DC-8-63.
Bob57 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:52pm
First off this is a very basic autopilot compared to modern planes. Page 41 of the manual shows the Altitude reminder number 20, set that at your chosen altitude say 31000. Insure switch number 4 in the manual page 42 is all the way up to "Autopilot". Number 2 left click to increase pitch to climb set at about 1800 FPM. Monitor your climb speed on your VSI Number 12 page number 12. Manage throttles for airspeed. once at chosen altitude adjust pitch control to hold, center position. I hope this helps Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic