This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hunter stalls and rolls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunter stalls and rolls
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:10pm
I tried to fly the hunter two times now and both times I got into a stall, I couldn't recover. When the warning comes up, it's too late. 

One time I was in a curve and pulled to hard and got into a flat spin. With other aircraft no problem to recover, but not this Hunter.

The other time I got too slow during approach. Increasing throttle to full and nose down could not get me out of the stall. 

I also used real weather and the plane is pretty much shaken from the winds. I would expect it to be more stable at a certain speed. It's mostly rolling. I'd expect ups and downs in gusts but not rolling, Of course it is a light aircraft, rather sensitive to weather but that's not like Hunters flew around when I saw them in reality. It's worse than in a Cessna 152.

Regards

Dan

Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 7:57pm
Hi Dan,

The manual states that deliberate stalling / spinning should not be started below 23,000ft. If you've pulled that hard into it that you enter a high-speed stall, or let the speed get too low on approach, you probably will not have the height to recover. It's that simple. The situation is worsened by the type of stall - there is a possibility in the Hunter of the nose remaining high and stick force alone not being enough to drop the nose - all documented in the PNs. If you recognise and react to the onset of stall then you will not enter the situation which results in these situations.

Regarding the effect of weather, I'm guessing you're either using default real weather or an add-on program that you have not adjusted. It is well known and commented on in many other forums that the default FS weather is way overblown in terms of winds and turbulence. This has led to massively over-damped aircraft to prevent the precise reaction you are seeing, but unfortunately it also means they tend to have the feeling of running on rails. The reason the Hunter reacts as it does: it is designed with real-world level coefficients and realistic damping, the benefit of which is a much more responsive aircraft. Unfortunately, if you are using default 'real weather' there is nothing you can do but turn off the effect of winds and turbulence on the aircraft. However, if you have one of the add-on weather programs you should adjust the winds and turbulence effects to somewhere in the 10 to 15 % range. That actually gives you a realistic weather effect and the aircraft will be much more stable but at the same time far more responsive. You will be moved about still by the winds, that is natural, but remember the aircraft always look more stable when you are watching them from the outside - just think how stable the Red Arrows look from the ground and compare it to in-cockpit videos to see the large amount of movement that actually goes on between the individual aircraft.

Here's just one of the in-cockpit vids I used during development, watch the rocking right from the moment the wheels leave the ground:
https://youtu.be/lQmnlyTQVcY?t=901

Hope that helps,
Paul.
Blaunarwal View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:35am
Hi Paul

An amazing video. It shows exactly the rolling I encounter, a little weaker. I don't use fsx default weather. I thought this is inactive since a few years. 
I fly with P3D3.4 and use FSRealWXPro. I only have turbulence below cumulus active. There's no setting in percentage. I have good experience with this program, also with other aircraft, small to big.

I managed a landing yesterday (without stalling) but its a little difficult to keep it at the right speed, since the gauge is a bit low (of course like real). 

Regards

Dan

Beni View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:21am
Hi Dan

With 150kts during final approach and 120 - 130kts at touch down there should be no problems with stall during landing.
Have a look at the end of this Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=retdSqEB_CM

The scenery should be familiar to you ;-)

Cheers
Beni
Blaunarwal View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:19pm
Hi Beni

Indeed, a very nice video. Unfortunately, my homebase is LSZH and that's not so close to Eiger as Meiringen.Smile But in the sim, I'm there with a click.

I hope on some repaints soon. I miss a camouflaged Swiss Airforce Hunter. 

Regards

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic