This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 and FSX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airbusnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 and FSX
    Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:14pm
Hello all,

After a long time away I am looking at a new rig and a return back to flying.

I was just wondering if FSX and Windows 10 go together? I've done some reading on various other posts on the forum and it seems people have mixed opinions; works for some and doesn't for others.

I think I still have the original FSX Deluxe boxed edition somewhere but last time I actually did any simming I had a PC that was running XP. I have various other add-ons I was using at the time too but understand if these may perhaps be outdated now as times have moved on.

So in summary, I just wanted to get a feel for what people's experiences are with FSX and Windows 10, or is it too much of a pain?

Thanks.
Airbusnut.
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:34am
Go to Steam.
johnep
johnep
Airbusnut View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airbusnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:21pm
Hi Johnep,

Thank you for your reply.

I've heard a lot about this Steam.

After doing some research my worry is FSXs architecture is still based on 32bit rather than 64bit. I'm in two minds in which way to head; either FSX or XPlane. I still have loads of FSX add-ons but the performance side of things both with Windows 10 and 32bit worry me slightly. Whereas XPlane 11 will be engineered for 64bit I believe.

Decisions!!!!
Airbusnut.
Gary Buska View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Buska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:32pm
I have Windows 10 and am using FSX Deluxe edition with acceleration and have no issues at all
I am able to run it maxed out on all sliders with the frame rate locked at 30.
Now mind you I have a descent syytem
I was one of the bets testers for FSX Steam edition and it is not a bad choice and has a couple of advantages over the boxed edition.
No CD'S or DVD'S to worry about it does run somewhat smother but it is not a bad choice.
Most if not all payware products work with it though some you have to buy a separate version.
Active SKy is one of those. Not sure if it is a license issue or if there is some other reason behind this.
perhaps a little of both.
Gary M Buska
TomcatUK View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 2:25pm
I have used FSX and FSX:SE with windows 10 64-bit without any issues.

One key consideration for FSX vs FSX:SE (Steam Edition) is that AES doesn't work with Steam, so it's goodbye to decent jetway animations! However Steam handles memory better so is much less likely to get OOM (out of memory issues). Particularly handy for long flights and/or where you fly over areas with lots of high resolution scenery files & objects.

So for me it was to decide between AES vs OOM.

Of course the elephant in the room here is the new flight sim from dovetail which will be 64 bit, and a stronger competitor to the likes of X-Plane and p3d (being able to have much better graphics and finally remove the shackles of 32 bit memory limitations). But there is no launch date set yet (my own guess is later this year as they launched flight school in 2016).

So it depends how long you want to wait to make up your mind. If you can get FSX to co-exist with boxed you will get the best of both worlds, but this is not for the faint hearted as it requires a lot of setting tweaks to make it work.

I hope this helps!
HiTec View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiTec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:54pm
I did a lot of different (flightsim) installations on different rigs in the past.

My advice is to stay at Windows 7 and use FSX:SE. Dovetail used a different (more modern) compiler for compiling FSX. So you don't need the tweak Highmemsys=1 for example anymore. I still use Windows 7 (64Bit) because older hardware is running better. For example when you use the Saitek trim wheel you will definitely get problems under Windows 10. With Windows 7 the trim wheel works without any problems.

//Arthur
Morti View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 2:51pm
I'm running both fsx and fsx se on my windows 10 system.

I can report that after getting PC there no issues.

Might need to run the easy fix compatibility tool.
Gary Buska View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Buska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:45pm
Here is something to think about.
With the latest viruses that are coming out now Micro Soft is advising that everyone should have the latest Windows and the latest updates or your system could be in danger of being infected.
I know this sounds like Microsoft's way to increase sales but even the IT department of my Work is advising the same thing and has upgraded to Windows 10 and make sure that the latest updates are installed.
It is not wise to stay with an older Operating system as you increase your chances of being infected with a virus.
Gary M Buska
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic