This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > HS 748 Propliner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Angle of Attack not Right?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelnhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angle of Attack not Right?
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:49pm
Just purchased this aircraft but one thing I am finding weird and not right is the aircrafts' angle of attack.

Gross Weight 40553lbs.

ASI 160kts.

The aircraft even at this speed and weight should be more or less in level flight. I have flown a freeware version previously at the same weight but never had this before. Equally from the pilots' viewpoint I am unable to obtain a clear view ahead due to the angle of attack, I am sure that the aircraft should not behave like this given the speed and weight and would be extremely grateful for any help or advice.

Regards
Nigel.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:01pm
Check other posts - there is an error in the aircraft .cfg that currently affects W&B calculation - and presumably the FDE.
Nigelnhj View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelnhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm
Hi snave and many thanks for your reply. Had put in a ticket for help regarding this however and unfortunately I have received a negative response and part of the reply was "I'm not sure exactly what your asking" and then went into detail of how to fly the aircraft.

I have flown gliders and light aircraft in the past but with flight simulation the flight characteristics of any aircraft is limited to a degree and will never replicate the exact flight envelope 100% but with this HS748 and as you stated, there is an error but where I do not know.

Just hoping that they will respond and make the necessary adjustments.

Regards
Nigel.
dbcooper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Nigelnhj Nigelnhj wrote:

Just purchased this aircraft but one thing I am finding weird and not right is the aircrafts' angle of attack.

Gross Weight 40553lbs.

ASI 160kts.

The aircraft even at this speed and weight should be more or less in level flight. I have flown a freeware version previously at the same weight but never had this before. Equally from the pilots' viewpoint I am unable to obtain a clear view ahead due to the angle of attack, I am sure that the aircraft should not behave like this given the speed and weight and would be extremely grateful for any help or advice.

Regards
Nigel.

Open your aircraft.cfg file.
Go to:
[flight_tuning]
  cruise_lift_scaler=xx
I have the value set at 1.7. The higher the number the flatter she'll fly.

Of course back up your original aircraft.cfg file first.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:49am
Hi all,

This has been reported to the developers.

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Nigelnhj View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelnhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:19pm
dbcooper very many thanks for the advice will do that.

Martyn, many thanks for passing this on to the developers.

Regards
Nigel.
Nigelnhj View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelnhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:05pm
Hi dbcooper, just to let you know I tried your suggestion last night and changed the value in the aircraft cfg as you suggested, although this did make the aircraft fly level it bought about further problems in that during approach the nose down attitude was increased and on round out for landing it was three pointing on all wheels.

This leads me to think that the FDE needs correcting as when trying with heavier payloads there is no movement in the centre of gravity so effectively when flying at higher payload settings one cannot distribute the weight accordingly.

Have hangered the aircraft until an update is available but would again like to thank you for your suggestion.

Regards
Nigel.
dbcooper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by Nigelnhj Nigelnhj wrote:

Hi dbcooper, just to let you know I tried your suggestion last night and changed the value in the aircraft cfg as you suggested, although this did make the aircraft fly level it bought about further problems in that during approach the nose down attitude was increased and on round out for landing it was three pointing on all wheels.

It's a compromise to be sure until the FDE is straightened out. However, looking at what pics I can find it's not uncommon to see them nose low on approach. If you pull the power just a bit earlier you can get a nice landing on the mains.

Nigelnhj View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelnhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
Hi dbcooper, that is the correct angle of attack for a landing though with any changes to the aircraft cfg the angle is very much steeper than shown. I appreciate that any changes made is a compromise and presently experimenting with different settings without adding payload, just using the default settings.

When working correctly you can literally grease this aircraft onto the runway as it can be held off inches from the ground before the wings lose their lift though that is not recommended for short field landings!

Hopefully it won't be too long before an update is made available as the aircraft is a delight to hand fly rather than relying on auto-pilot.

Regards and thanks.

Nigel.

dbcooper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:20pm
Nigel,
Check your PM's.

-Bob
Nigelnhj View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigelnhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:59pm
Thanks Bob, have replied.

Regards
Nigel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic