This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intermittent issues with FSX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent issues with FSX
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 12:41pm
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me out with some issues I'm having with FSX.

The biggest issue is that it keeps freezing all the time, for no reason it seems to just stop. Occasionaly it might crash to desktop.

Another issue is whenever I load the PMDG777 the aircraft doesn't load, all I get is the fans from the engines and a shadow.

The system is new, I only got it in October. The specs follow recomendations I received in a post I made on here last August...

Intel i7 Skylake 6700K CPU at 4GHz
16GB RAM
NVidia GTX 960 video card with DirectX 11

Windows 7 64bit. Running FSX with SP 1 & 2. Settings are set to 'high' but these were the default settings when I installed the programme so my system must be able ot run it. The post powerful addon I'm using at the moment is PMDG777 but I also have the PMDG747 installed. Scenery wise nothing major (yet), just a few UK2000 and Aerosoft Airports and FScene X.

I have also updated my drivers, I did that before installing FSX.

Cheers,

Heinz
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
mlb406 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlb406 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 12:56pm
Heinz,

Just to point out, your GPU is surprisingly underpowered for your CPU. I would suggest downloading Nvidia Inspector, and running FSX as you would, but monitoring the GPU load on the main screen of NI. I would imagine the GPU load would be at 100%, and the CPU load, visible in Task Manager > Performance, would be less than 100% on all 8 cores. If so, I would recommend tweaking FSX to be more GPU friendly, such as lowering overall graphics settings, rather than CPU based tweaks, e.g. AffinityMask.

A guide I would recommend time and time again to everyone in the FSX community is this: https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

Hope this helps somewhat.

With regards to the PMDG T7 glitching, I cannot help much as I do not own the aircraft myself. Have you tried reinstalling, running the installer as an admin, and disabling AV whilst installing? This doesn't guarantee anything but it can eliminate possible factors when bug fixing down the line.

Regards,

Max
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:03pm
Hi Max,

Sorry about my late reply. I've had a busy few days!

I have tried lowering the graphics settings but unfortunately it hasn't made much difference. It has made the triple 7 appear but its still very laggy. FSX also still crashes randomly.

Interesting what you say about the video card being underpowered for the CPU. Do you think this could be the root cause of it all?

Thanks,

Heinz
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
mlb406 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlb406 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:42pm
Heinz,

It's hard to say whether or not it could be the main cause, however I do think that it could certainly be a contributing factor.

Like I say, download Nvidia Inspector when you have time, and compare the GPU usage against the CPU usage to see which one is bottlenecking. 

I'd certainly recommend doing more testing with it before going out and buying a new GPU.

Keep trying things, ask if unsure, and post on other forums to get a larger audience to hear your problems for a possible fix!

Max
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:32pm
Hi Max,

I have downloaded Nvidia Inspector and done a little bit of testing.

The first test I loaded up into a warm cockpit with the PMDG747, took off and randomly few around for a bit. Interestingly the GPU load peaked at only 30%, but most of the time it averaged around 20% and at one point it did dip back to 6%.

This first test only ran for about 20 minutes or so. Later when I have more time I will load a proper flight in cold and dark and do everything properly. This will allow me to see if the crashing issue is reflective on how long I'm running the simulator.

Cheers,

Heinz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic