This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:05pm
Removing windows is easy for the normal DAYTIME paint. But what do you see when you view this aircraft at night? Are the windows still lit up? I will bet that they are.

If they are, then you also need to paint the night-time textures and black the windows out as well. However, the problem with doing that is there is usually only one night-time texture for each model type, and it's used for all of the planes of that type. In other words, if you paint the night-time textures for the Bae-146 and black out the windows, you would be affecting the night-time textures not just for your Royal Mail plane, but also for every other Bae-146 aircraft that flies in your skies ... meaning that none of the Bae-146's, for any airline, would have lit up windows at night.

So you'll need to create a specific night-time file, just for Bae-146 cargo planes. Here's how ...

•     Have a look in your "C:\...\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI-AllAircraft\texture.Night" folder. This folder contains all of the night-time textures for all of the Traffic X AI planes.

•     Find the one for the Bae-146. It will be the "JFAIBae146_l.dds" file.

•     Make a COPY of this file on your DESKTOP (or some other appropriate temporary folder).

•     Open this file, and paint the windows black.

•     Save the repainted black windows file using the SAME NAME ("JFAIBae146_l.dds"). To be honest, it's probably not necessary to use the same name, but I think it is better for consistency.

•     Now create a new FOLDER. Call this folder "texture.Night" and copy the newly saved night-time paint with the black windows ("JFAIBae146_l.dds"), from your desktop and in to this folder.

•     Place this new "texture.Night" folder, containing the night-time paint with the black windows, in to the same Traffic X Bae-146 folder that has your Royal Mail repaint. For example, that might be "C:\...\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_Bae146\texture.30" or perhaps "C:\...\SimObjects\TrafficX\JFAI_Bae146\texture.RoyalMail" (if you [re]named the folder when you first created your repaint).

•     So now you have your normal Royal Mail repaint file in there, and also now a folder called "texture.Night" which contains the blacked out windows for night-time.

•     Finally, open the TEXTURE.CFG file that's in that folder and change the fallback= line. This line tells the simulator where to look for the night-time paint. If your Royal Mail repaint is saved in the texture.30 folder as per my example above, then you would change the fallback line to read fallback.1=..\..\JFAI_Bae146\texture.30\texture.Night ... or ... if your Royal Mail repaint is saved in a folder called texture.RoyalMail, then you would change the fallback line to read fallback.1=..\..\JFAI_Bae146\texture.RoyalMail\texture.Night

It's easy once you wrap your head around it. But it can be complicated the first time you do it. So I hope this all makes sense.

And, remember, this newly created night-time file can also be used and will work for any other Bae-146 cargo planes that you may decide to repaint, and which have no windows ... just copy this "texture.Night" folder in to the cargo plane's folder, and change the TEXTURE.CFG file as appropriate.

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:44am
Hi Freddy,
Already done the night texture, but didn't think to put it in the RM texture folder, I had put it in the main Bae146 texuture folder, now changed to your suggestion

Took me an age to figure out how to get rid of the night windows, and only found out by reading the texture.cfg file!

I've still got a lot to learn, but slowly getting there.

My biggest problem is getting side tracked, one minute checking out timings of ai with FSX, then whilst watching will see something at the airport I'm not happy with, so open ADE to correct it, then I'll look at an aircraft and think "thats not quite right" so open Coreldraw to correct that.... and on and on it goes 😁
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:15pm
Side tracked you say? Hehe, yep ... you, me, and a lot of other folks know that feeling all too well. Welcome to the hobby!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic