This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do people think of the meteor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do people think of the meteor?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 11:25am
I have enjoyed the Canberra, Tornado and Hawk. Is the Meteor of the same level of fidelity? - if anyone has it I would be grateful to know what they think.

Thanks
Neil
Keith Voisey View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Voisey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 11:49am
I have just spent twenty minutes doing aerobatics over Cambrai. I love it. It flies and handles very well and looks good from both the tower view and as an air to air shot. The sounds are very good, especially the puff of air sound when applying the wheel brakes. Simple to fly and promises loads of fun. I'd recommend it certainly.
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:33pm
First impression. Excellent.
Only one minor gripe, the HP cocks are awkward to move, I can't see why they have to be click and drag, why not on or off click like the LP cocks? But you only touch them on starting and shut down, so no big deal.
Haven't managed to do a pin-wheel yet, but I'll get there.
neilG View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 2:58pm
OK, so looking good. I know there have been controversies over the last few of Just Flight's military aircraft, but I've found them well worth the wait for patches etc and they are amongst my favourites now. I was hoping the Meteor would fall into that category and it sounds like it does. thanks for the replies
Neil
stretch1365 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stretch1365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 5:20pm
Hi all,

Just flight if you read this, I was swayed by your lovely promotional video for the Meteor, I think maybe one of your best.

So I bought the Meteor off the back of the video, and I love it. I have only had time to do a few circuits at the minute and then I crashed on landing, oops sorry I broke it already...............I haven't tried out any systems yet, except the guns, nice! But the thing flies lovely, it becomes a bit erratic pitch wise if you go over 350kts but then it tells you that in the manual............A lovely go to British fighter I think is going to get a lot of use..............

So another big thank you Just Flight, hot on the heals of the BAC 1-11.............Am I never going to have any money?

Happy Flying

David Phillips
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:07pm
Got it this morning and already had a couple flights. I like it a lot.

Excellent VC, sounds, systems, external models, textures and the usual animations. Went through the flight manual and did a cold startup without any problems.

Noticed the "puff of air sound" when airborne using the rudder. Wasn't sure if that was correct or not as I assumed that was for the wheel brakes?? And doing a manual shutdown, I couldn't get the Port fuel switch to shut off. Once power was shutoff it wasn't an issue anyway.

Got more flights yet to go.

--WH

UPDATE: Figured out what I was doing wrong on the shutdown. Fuel switch shuts off just fine.   
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 7:13pm
Slight problem with the Artificial Horizon, and/or Auto Pilot.
Until I get used to a new aircraft I fly with failures disabled.
So, I'm 18,000 feet over the North Sea, flying towards the Humber Estuary. Straight and level, 300 Kts IAS. In the real world the phone rings. Flick on the A/P and answer the phone. Get back after about 3 or 4 minutes, aircraft still on course but descending at about 2,000 fpm. The Artificial Horizon had crashed. Tried switching avionics off and on, but couldn't get the Artificial Horizon back and A/P switches frozen.
All other systems were fully operational.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:27pm
Hi all,

Thanks for all the complimentary comments on the Meteor, much appreciated. The small issues we'll certainly review and take on board.

Dave Phillips - In the nicest possible way and for all the right reasons, we'd rather you never have any money.  :)

All the best guys!
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 3:54am
Originally posted by petesmiffy petesmiffy wrote:

Slight problem with the Artificial Horizon, and/or Auto Pilot.
Until I get used to a new aircraft I fly with failures disabled.
So, I'm 18,000 feet over the North Sea, flying towards the Humber Estuary. Straight and level, 300 Kts IAS. In the real world the phone rings. Flick on the A/P and answer the phone. Get back after about 3 or 4 minutes, aircraft still on course but descending at about 2,000 fpm. The Artificial Horizon had crashed. Tried switching avionics off and on, but couldn't get the Artificial Horizon back and A/P switches frozen.
All other systems were fully operational.
I think I have an answer for that.

Earlier this evening I took a night flight and encountered the same problem. I discovered that the battery was still "off." Fortunately, I had a keyboard shortcut to turn it back on.

Apparently, if you circumvent the startup procedure as described in the manual, you can lose electrical power in flight. I did just that and lost power, which in turn lost the Artificial Horizon and Auto Pilot.

My default flight is the default Cessna in a cold and dark state. So basically the battery, generator and avionics are all "off". So if you circumvent the Meteor startup procedure, the battery is still "off" and you will lose electrical after several minutes of flight.

I repeated my flight, but followed the Meteor startup exactly and had no problems with the Artificial Horizon or Auto Pilot.

Tricky, tricky, tricky. Of course, results may vary based on the settings of one's default flight.

--WH
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 5:52am
Thanks for that.
I didn't think to check the nav lights and I don't recall now if the fuel gauges were working, but if it happens again, I'll check that out first. I loaded the flight through Ideal Flight, although the first thing I did after loading was to click the "cold and dark" switch.
PowerJets View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PowerJets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:12pm
Yes. Yes. Yes. Smile Just bought and flown the Meteor over the Western Isles and the Cullins. Great first impression. Clap No regrets and tomorrow is another flying day. I thought there would never be such a lovely rendition (particularly its cockpit) of this milestone plane and its engine. Fantastic.

p.s. There is much more to the story than in the intro.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by WarHorse47 WarHorse47 wrote:

Noticed the "puff of air sound" when airborne using the rudder. Wasn't sure if that was correct or not as I assumed that was for the wheel brakes??
Scratch that comment. The cause is my big feet tapping my pedals in flight rather than using my heel to properly use the rudder.   

--WH
Uncle Bucc View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 6:16pm
Bought the Meteor yesterday.  First flight went really well, much to my surprise, as my landings are 'dodgy' at the best of times.  Second flight came in  too low and slow which meant crash.  Another deletion from my pilots log.  Unhappy

I shall try the 'cold start' from the saved Staverton flight that came with the purchase later this evening. 

I have been away from FSX for a long time because I got bored of the generic 'planes that came with the software and was totally unaware of the vast amountof add-ons, both payware and freeware, that is available to the community.

Having rediscovered FSX (Steam Edition installed) you could say that the sky's the limit.

Now I just need to get a decent joystick, rudder pedals and yoke (for those aircarft that need one) to really enjoy myself.

Well done Just Flight and your associates for a great product.

pierrovol View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierrovol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 12:06am
Hello everyone,
I fly FSX for many years, and so far, I mainly interested in the aircraft propeller or turboprop.
But when I was a kid, I had a scale model of Meteor, and it made me dream.
So when I learned the release of a Meteor for FSX, I hastened to buy it.
I did some test flights.
I find beautifully modeled , but in flight, on my system, it is very unstable on its roll axis, with almost uncontrollable lateral movements . This occurs at low speed as high speed.
I tried various settings of my joystick, but failed to make the aircraft more controllable.
This does not seem normal.
I found a solution in aircraft.cfg: putting "roll_stability = 2.0000", the plane becomes more stable.
Other than me they have the same problem?
Regards,
P.
PowerJets View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PowerJets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm
Hi there. 

I am not experiencing this on my system. I have had my fare share of joystick issues, but it might be something else. Is one engine giving more power than the other perhaps? Are the HP cocks all the way down (this is not so easy with the mouse and I do not know of a command key)? Trim ok? Pedals giving some input?

The aircraft or rather its engine is special for me too. Hope you get it up and running soon.
PowerJets View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PowerJets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:31pm
Just flew to the outer hebridies and just squeezed in a landing at Lerwick. Flight time over an hour no problems. What I like about the Meteor is that the cockpit glass is not distorting my photo scenery and is great for visual flying. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic