This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Entering Flight Number

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Entering Flight Number
    Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:59am
Can anyone tell me how to enter a flight number. I have typed it in the box and pressed return, no joy, I have typed it in the box and press tab, no joy.

Thanks

Steve Big smile
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 1:39pm
Remembering that I am a TX user - I believe the T360 schedule editor "Flight Plans" is the same as the TX one.

In TX, you type a number into the "Flight Nr" box - don't bother pressing 'Return' - just click in any other box and carry on until you click on "Apply and Exit".

Remember that you are only allowed numerals - NO LETTERS.

Does this method not work for you?
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm
Thank you!

This programme has some funny ways. The time box has to have a return, the flight number has to be "clicked" out of..... why can't it be standard all the way through!

Steve
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by StevePH StevePH wrote:

Thank you!

This programme has some funny ways. The time box has to have a return, the flight number has to be "clicked" out of..... why can't it be standard all the way through!

Steve

Glad you have noticed the "funny ways".

This program, along with TX, has always had these strange quirks. I wasn't on this forum in the early days of 'Traffic xxxx' but I suspect there have been moans galore about some of the strange requirements in entering data. If ever there was an updated version, I would bet that, unless prompted to do so, JF would not change this particular action requirement. The changes introduced in the change/update from Tx to T360 were, in my humble opinion, not very sensible.

I can only say that, as time goes by, you will get used to these funny ways.
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm
I'm now finding that my tail number that I enter in T360, aren't be translated across to FSX.

e.g. in T360 tail number G-LGH1

in FSX is G-LCZ3

and if I have consecutive tail numbers e.g. G-KGH1, G-LGH2 in FSX they all become the sam e.g. G-LCZ3.

Hmmmmmm

STeve
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:11pm
Steve,

you have 'found' another quirk of TX/T360.

When you enter the tail number e.g. "G-LGHK" (MY QUOTATION MARKS - DO NOT PUT IN BOX), add 2 spaces on the end e.g. "G-LGHK   ". When you compile, you should get your entered tail numbers.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:59am
Hehe, it's good to see my "discovery" from the early days of using Traffic X is still being used and suggested ... that being to use spaces (after the typed-in tail number) to ensure the tail number remains set to what you want.  (Yeah, OK, I'll admit it ... that's a bit of a gloat.) Embarrassed

Ray suggested two spaces.  Note that the number of spaces required actually depends on a few technical factors to do with the tail number syntax for the airline inside Just Flight's files.  I won't go in to that.  Suffice to say, start with two spaces (as Ray suggests), and see if that works for you.  If not, then add another space, making it three spaces, and try again. You might even need to try four spaces ... although I've never needed to do that (so I don't know if four spaces works).  Don't forget, of course, to always do a recompile each time you make flight plan and schedules changes  even just editing/changing tail numbers.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 8:29am
Freddy,

apologies required here - I wasn't aware that you were the originator of this discovery - I would have given you the credit had I known.

And I meant to say 3 spaces (as this is what I always use) but it was late at night here and I got it wrong!
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

Hehe, it's good to see my "discovery" from the early days of using Traffic X is still being used and suggested ... that being to use spaces (after the typed-in tail number) to ensure the tail number remains set to what you want.  (Yeah, OK, I'll admit it ... that's a bit of a gloat.) Embarrassed

Ray suggested two spaces.  Note that the number of spaces required actually depends on a few technical factors to do with the tail number syntax for the airline inside Just Flight's files.  I won't go in to that.  Suffice to say, start with two spaces (as Ray suggests), and see if that works for you.  If not, then add another space, making it three spaces, and try again. You might even need to try four spaces ... although I've never needed to do that (so I don't know if four spaces works).  Don't forget, of course, to always do a recompile each time you make flight plan and schedules changes  even just editing/changing tail numbers.

Thank you both for your help! It took 3 spaces for the numbers to show correctly.

I shall now carry on experimenting, I think I'll move on to Airline/Carrier Codes Big smile

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

Freddy, apologies required here - I wasn't aware that you were the originator of this discovery - I would have given you the credit had I known.
Nah, don't apologise.  No harm, no foul.  I don't expect to be credited.  It's not a big deal.  Heck, if everybody credited everybody else for the plethora of tips and discoveries that get handed out, mentioned, and repeated, every day all over the Internet, then the world's forums would quickly become a gloating brag-fest that nobody would want to read.

If anyone should apologise, it's me ... for seeing it as an opportunity to give myself a shameless pat on the back.  Hehehe.  I couldn't help myself.  Embarrassed  I'm just glad that the information is being shared ... which is what this, and other forums are for ... regardless of where or whom it came from.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by StevePH StevePH wrote:

Thank you both for your help! It took 3 spaces for the numbers to show correctly. I shall now carry on experimenting, I think I'll move on to Airline/Carrier Codes.
Careful StevePH ... getting a good understanding of how all this AI stuff works means you can catch the bug ... it can be very addictive.  I got bitten a long time ago.  The good news is that it is so rewarding to be able to make changes, compile, and have things work in your sim EXACTLY as you want them to.  When you get right in to it, you'll be able to get a particular plane to park in the exact parking spot you want it to, on a chosen given day, at a specific given time.  Have fun!

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:31am
Careful StevePH ... getting a good understanding of how all this AI stuff works means you can catch the bug ... it can be very addictive.  I got bitten a long time ago.  The good news is that it is so rewarding to be able to make changes, compile, and have things work in your sim EXACTLY as you want them to.  When you get right in to it, you'll be able to get a particular plane to park in the exact parking spot you want it to, on a chosen given day, at a specific given time.  Have fun!

I've drawn an airport in ADE and I can say which aircraft can park in which spot, but I need to edit the aircraft config file (which isn't a problem), but I can't see an entry for putting the carrier code in the config file, can you help?

And oh yes it does become addictive!!

I am having a few timing problems, but I'll overcome them hopefully, I'm making up a spreadsheet to be able to "see" what is due in or out. I've also discovered it can be easier and quicker to add to the flight plans by editing the file directly, but you have to be careful!

Steve
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 4:53pm
Steve

you will need to make sure that any aircraft you want to control, in terms of where they park, need the following 2 lines in the aircraft.cfg file.

atc_parking_types=GATE
atc_parking_codes=EZY

The first controls what types of parking spot you want them to use, GATE RAMP etc.
The second tells the aircraft to 'look' for spots that have been coded, possibly in ADE, with the airline code. A complete list of such codes is in the ADE folder "parkingspecs.dat".

If you look in the default aircraft cfg files you will see this is done for most airline aircraft already.
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

Steve

you will need to make sure that any aircraft you want to control, in terms of where they park, need the following 2 lines in the aircraft.cfg file.

atc_parking_types=GATE
atc_parking_codes=EZY

The first controls what types of parking spot you want them to use, GATE RAMP etc.
The second tells the aircraft to 'look' for spots that have been coded, possibly in ADE, with the airline code. A complete list of such codes is in the ADE folder "parkingspecs.dat".

If you look in the default aircraft cfg files you will see this is done for most airline aircraft already.

Thank you Ray ...now (laughs) where do I find the AI aircraft and config files! Been through the directories and can't seem to find them! Confused

Steve
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:51pm
I can only speak for FSX. Look in \Simobjects\JFTraffic360\ .

Here is an example -

[fltsim.0]
title=JFAI_A340_AFR_g1
sim=JFAIA340
model=
panel=x
sound=
texture=AFR
atc_id=F-GNIF
atc_flight_number=247
atc_airline=AIR FRANCE
atc_parking_codes=AFR
atc_parking_types=GATE

ui_manufacturer=Airbus
ui_type=A340
ui_variation=Air France
description=AI
ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby=Just Flight
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id_font=
atc_heavy=
atc_id_color=
iata_aircraft_code=
iata_airline_code=
visual_damage=

I have highlighted the 2 lines where JF have already put the necessary code in place - you should not have to do anything if you are using the default aircraft.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:56pm
Yes, manually editing the files is the easiest way to go.  Use the program's interface to create and store the files for you, and keep them all nicely filed ... but manually edit the files when you want to add/edit/manipulate the flight plans and schedules.

For the AI aircraft and config files, it's the respective aircraft.cfg files that you are looking for.  I have Traffic X, and with that program the AI aircraft.cfg files are stored in this location here: "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX".

EDIT: I see Ray and I have posted almost at the same time as each other ... Ray wrote:  "I can only speak for FSX. Look in \Simobjects\JFTraffic360\ ."

As well as the atc_parking_types and atc_parking_codes parameters, remember also that the parking spot SIZE in your AFCADs is important too.  A 747 will not park in a spot that is too small for it. Placing or changing the parking spot size in an AFCAD is easy enough (I see you use ADE), but, for the AI aircraft, the parameter you need to concern yourself with is wing_span= which is also in the plane's aircraft.cfg file.

To further complicate matters, the wing_span sizes for the AI aircraft, as provided in Traffic X by Just Flight (note that I said Traffic X), were all pretty much incorrect.  If the Traffic 360 files are copied or taken from Traffic X, then the wing_span values for the Traffic 360 AI aircraft may be incorrect as well.  Thankfully, they are easy to correct. The wing_span value is in FEET. You need to open the respective aircraft.cfg file for each of the Traffic 360 AI planes, and enter the (correct) total wing span value for the plane, in FEET, from wingtip to wingtip.  The way FSX uses the value is as follows: It divides the value in half and then converts that to whole METERS. The calculated result is used to determine the respective aircraft parking spot size that the plane will use. (Note that it is always rounded up - so if the calculated result is 17.0000001 metres, then that would mean the plane needs an 18.0 metre spot for parking). See this link here for help (it's from 2008, but it's a great start): http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com/FlightSim/FSXWingSpanValues.htm

Here are some forum posts, from both the Traffic X and Traffic 360 forums, which will also prove useful and helpful:

EDIT: I have just (re)read some of the details in those posts, one of which confirms that the Traffic 360 wing_span values are indeed incorrect, just as they were for Traffic X. So you'll either need to change those as per the above, or at least take that in to account when doing your flight plan edits and AFCAD changes.

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:40am
Ray/Freddy,

Thanks again for your help.

I've managed to repaint one of the  Justflight AI aircraft, now got to find out how to get it into 360. I've tried using the option to "read from config files" but that hasn't work, I then changed one of the same aircraft DDS files, and the repaint shows well, but I want my own description/aircraft name etc, so I'm uninstalling and re-installing so I have a fresh copy on the system and see where I go from there.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic