This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what add-on??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what add-on??
    Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 10:06am

Hi I am going to buy an IFR trainner add-on, ulthow there are two that I am undicided about.  Here are the links.

Which one??

Thanks
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 10:11am
To be honest, to pay £120 is a waste of money and at your age even more of a waste of money.Confused

How would this help your FS?
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 10:32am
It is not that much.  After having a shot on a proper flight simulator the aircraft in fs don't feel like the real a/c so that is why I am going to buy one of these I showed you.  Plus £120 to help you throught the instrument rating seems a small price to pay.Smile  I don't think you could really call it a waste of money.Confused
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:05am
I tend to agree with Mrbobo. That is alot of money to pay all things considered. Just think, you could use that money to go towards 3 or 4 decent FS add-ons (if you really want to spend that money on FS of course).

If you are serious about getting one I would firstly do some research on the internet. There are loads of materials online that I would read and research as well as in forums like this before making any decisions. Have to ask yourself will it still be money worth while in a year or so's time? 
Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:41am
I would suggest you discuss it with your instructor/CFI, Tom. Flight Simulator with the correct addons can be a very powerful tool. My instructor has just gone off to Malaga to do his I.R, prior to which he used the Just Flight Seneca to practice procedures. However I have no knowledge of dedicated I.R trainers, and I don't imagine many others here do, so perhaps they are capable of much more. Which brings me back to my first point, ask your instructors
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:33pm
The just flight seneca doesn't fly like the real seneca and that is why I would like the IFR add-on.  Thanks for your comments, and I shall ask my instructor his advice.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:41pm
No simulation, unless it costs ££££££, will handle exactly like the real thing. Don't be under the illusion that £120 software will handle perfectly. Remember you don't really need exact handling characteristics if you are training for IFR flight, you simply need a set of accurate instruments and changeable weather conditions. This is what the software you posted will contain, FS also contains these.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 1:51pm
So is the seneca an accurate IFR flyer?  Thanks
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 2:20pm
Obviously it is!
All the systems are modelled etc, But the aircraft won't 'feel' like the real thing because if it did, your total amount of simulation stuff would be in excess of £1000, maybe even £10000!
And most people can't afford this, anyway, as pointed out by Martyn
"You simply need a set of accurate instruments and changeable weather conditions."
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:08pm
Tom A320, have you even started your IR rate?

I thought you had to be 16 to start earn hours and start the PPL course?
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Mrbobo Mrbobo wrote:

Tom A320, have you even started your IR rate?

I thought you had to be 16 to start earn hours and start the PPL course?

Actually, there isn't a specific age to start to earn hours for a PPL, just a specific age for stuff like Solos and actually achieving the License, I hear you need to be 16 to Go Solo and 17 to actually be gived a license!

Also thing to note, twright is getting hours for his PPL he's 14!
 I'm jealous!
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Kelvin_C-J Kelvin_C-J wrote:

Also thing to note, twright is getting hours for his PPL he's 14!
 I'm jealous!

. I'm 15 actually, 16 next month!  I got in to it (obviously because I really, really love it!) but also because my dad also has his PPL and is a member of the same flying club.  It's something that we can do together which is nice.  I've currently got just over 11 hours logged towards my PPL and am doing circuits, so all I need to get is my medical and the Air Law exam and then I can go solo hopefully in the summer hols.Smile

You're right about the ages.  There is no age limit for when you can start under instruction.  You have to be 16 (and have a medical and have passed the Law exam) to go solo, then you can actually complete the course and get a (frozen) PPL licence.  Once your 17, your licence will become unfrozen and ready to use.

Like others have said Tom, the products you're looking at seem an incredible amount of money for a piece of software, and especially at your age.  I'm not sure what you want it for (FS or real world), but I think (especially as you're even slightly younger than me) you ought to be concentrating on your VFR flying - that is what counts to get your PPL (instrument flying is not necessary to get your PPL) - the Instrument Rating is an addon (and an incredibly expensive one) for your licence that you can get after you've got your PPL licence.  Also, pace yourself.  You're only 13 (as I saw from your profile!), meaning you've got 3 years until your solo.  You can't progress past a certain stage until you've done your solo, so I'd slow down and perhaps fly every couple of months - it will save you a heck of a lot of money.  If you fly a lot now, then you will have to refresh it all in the run up to your solo, which means spending double the amount of money on lessons than you need to.  Flying is a fantastic hobby - but it costs an absolute fortune, so pace yourself, don't rush through it all in a few months - you won't learn as much as you need to if you do it too quickly - to get your money's worth, learn it all slowly but in detail and you'll get the best out of it.

So if I were you, I'd concentrate on getting my VFR flying right, complete the PPL, then start studying for IR.
Kind regards,
Tom
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:17am
Lucky you!

Then again I've had 2 hours in Cessna's in America and flew over San Diego Lindberg International Airport, so then again, I'm still jealous of 11 hours versus 2!
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:53am
I've never flown in America - plus I've not flown Cessnas either!  I fly very locally at Biggin (EGKB) - it has a nice, wide and very long runway (as it handles up to the size of 737s) so it's quite an easy airport to fly at.  Only downside is it's both very busy and ATC is very formal, so you have to really be spot on with your radio telephony otherwise they get cross!   
Kind regards,
Tom
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:58am
yeah, good luck to you anyway!
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 12:28pm
Just finished my 22nd flight last week,  and am only buying this game for a IR on FS! not real life!
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Just finished my 22nd flight last week,  and am only buying this game for a IR on FS! not real life!
Ok.  By the way not being nitpicky or anything, but the product(s) you chose are not games by any means.  They are training aids for real pilots.  I think you may find it a huge disappointment if you expect to use it like FS - the graphics will not be a patch on FS because they don't need to be.  FS is designed to be used for entertainment purposes (although it's great for training), these products are solely for educational purposes and are not games.

You can tell the graphics aren't going to be up to much by reading the system requirements.  Your first product requires 128mb ram and a 512MHz processor - as opposed to FSX's of a 1.0GHz processor (preferably a lot more as many people know!) and 2.0gb of RAM.

It's your money, but as I said, I think if you're used to FSX/FS9, you'd be incredibly disappointed as it's not designed to be used like a game.  It's designed to teach real pilots what they need to know to pass their Instrument Rating exam.
Kind regards,
Tom
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 2:37pm
also the product isn't a flight sim, as such, its basically step by step guide on important things
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 4:58pm
Yey well I know it is not a game! just said that as it is quicker to type.  Anyway it is on ebay for only £78 so it isnt too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic