This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AI Traffic taxing on the grass in addon airports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AI Traffic taxing on the grass in addon airports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbrooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AI Traffic taxing on the grass in addon airports
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 2:39pm
The title just about says it all, I get he problem most with UK2000 airports   with AI Traffic stuck in buildings and mowing the grass. Usually they are just 20m out or so. Any solutions?  Had a search here and in the manuals. I'm FSX-SE and Windows 10.  I searched for AFCADs but only found them for FS9.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:33am
This would occur if you have DUPLICATED AFCADs. In other words, if you have EGLL in your UK2000 scenery and also have another different/separate AFCAD for EGLL ... say, included with Traffic 360 or one you've downloaded in the past ... then that will mean you have TWO of them (duplicated). The simulator and your AI planes will be using the one that is highest up in your FSX SCENERY list. But, because of the duplication, and the sim displaying BOTH airports at the same time (directly over the top of each other) you will see planes inside buildings, taxing on the grass, and a range of other weird issues.

You did say you did a search for AFCADS and only found them for FS9. I am not sure what you mean by that, or whether you took any actions as a result. Suffice to say, if you do find any duplicates then you should either rename/remove them so that they are not loaded in the sim, or you should disable them via the FSX scenery menu (if they are part of a bigger overall package).

TIP:

Use the free "Simple Airport Scanner" from Scruffy Duck Software to help you find duplicate airports. It will identify addon airports and displays the results in a way that shows the priority order of loading in FSX.

Go here: Download Simple Airport Scanner

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by dbrooke dbrooke wrote:

The title just about says it all, I get he problem most with UK2000 airports   with AI Traffic stuck in buildings and mowing the grass. Usually they are just 20m out or so. Any solutions?  Had a search here and in the manuals. I'm FSX-SE and Windows 10.  I searched for AFCADs but only found them for FS9.

In the days when I had UK2000 airfields loaded up into my FSX, the main disappointment that I had was that, as the airfield layouts did stick pretty well to the actual airfield layouts, a load of AI aircraft were unable to 'stick' to the prescribed taxi paths due to their inability to make tight turns. Tail-draggers, in particular, are hopeless at following taxi paths due to problems built in to their .air files.
Please follow Freddy's advice about checking for duplicate files.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:20am
Ray ... it is possible to tighten the turn radius of the AI planes by making some minor edits in their aircraft.cfg file.

Essentially, for contact point 0 (point.0), the first number raises or lowers the forward landing gear and the third number brings the tail wheel forward or back. Adjusting these numbers tightens or widens the turning radius.  Note that this doesn't change how the planes physically look visually, it just changes how they turn.

For example, for tighter turns in the Maule acting as AI, set this:
point.0 = 1, -8.0, 0.00, -3.5, 1500, 0, 0.36, 350.0, 0.3, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0

Or, for tighter turns in the Piper Cub AI, set this:
point.0=1, -6.00, 0.0, -3.6, 1800, 0, 0.238, 350.0, 0.300, 2.5, 0.40, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

Some experimentation is usually necessary to get things to work how you want.

I suggest you do further research (Google) on this if you want to learn more.  For example, a search for "FSX AI turn radius" (minus the quotes) should get you some hits.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:52am
Freddy,

yes I have been down this path of altering the 'contact' point as you suggest but I suspect that not many other users have tried this. It can make a big difference.

The JF C-130 Hercules a/c has also benefitted from a slight change as it used to have a huge turning circle when leaving a parking spot.

But, as always, thanks for prompting.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:15am
Thumbs Up

It might surprise you to know that, despite me mentioning this to you, I've never actually adjusted any of my AI planes.  I still have Maule's taxiing off into the distance at airports and then finally turning and coming back, off in to the distance again, until they eventually, finally, make it to the runway.  Hilarious.

Perhaps I should look in to it.  What settings do you have for your Herc?  And any others you may have edited that I could probably "steal" from you?

(Hmmm.  Here Ray and I go again, unintentionally hijacking another thread.  Oops.  Sorry dbrooke.  Did you have any success searching for duplicated airports?)
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:35am
Thanks for this explanation. I have always had great difficulty turning bends when taxing for take off.
Now I know why.
johnep

johnep
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:49am
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

Thanks for this explanation. I have always had great difficulty turning bends when taxing for take off.
Now I know why.
johnep

Your situation here is quite different.
The changes being discussed by Freddy and myself ONLY affect AI aircraft. Problems concerning the USER aircraft are down to factors held in the .air files (or so I believe).
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:24am

Hmmm.  Actually, from what I understand, contact point changes made to user flyable aircraft *DO* affect the user aircraft's ability to turn (tightly or not).  To confirm, it would be easy to run experiments on this (of course, always backup original files and/or values first).

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 8:01am
OK, I may have been in error in saying that changes to the CONTACTS has no effect on user aircraft. I have gone back thru past discussions I have had in the ADE forum where it is suggested that changes DO affect theuser aircraft. Sorry.
dbrooke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbrooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:11pm
In short, I just uninstalled and then reinstalled - which solved it. Heavens knows what the actual problem was.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:20pm
If in doubt, go back to square one ..............
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 1:08am
Glad you've got it sorted ... and our hijacking the thread didn't get in the way of that.

Yes, as Ray said, if in doubt, go back to square one ..............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic