This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Hawk T1/A Advanced Trainer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawk Ground Steering.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawk Ground Steering.
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:49pm
Hoorah and huzzah! A Hawk!

Top notch model. Nice startup procedures, the works. Worth the money, but oh... Hang on. Put the breaks on.

Of course as we all know the Hawk has a castor nosewheel and steering is reliant on a balanced control of throttle and differential breaking. No biggy. 

That is of course unless you use a twist grip or pedals.

For whatever obscure reason the software doesn't attribute differential breaking to joystick/physical application which every single add-on aircraft in my hangar (tail dragger or nosewheel) such as Just Flights very own beautiful Chipmunk does.

Instead you have to rely on using

Num - 
Num *

This is not acceptable, especially considering the cost (yes, yes, I know it's on introductory offer price right now... sheesh). It's akin to using the original MS Flight Simulator and juggling when to centralise controls. 

Crosswind take-offs and landings at low speed where the rudders have little effect will see you taking a trip onto the grass unless you have more than two hands.

Very poor indeed Vic.

Sort this out as I'd rather not go through the process of refunding.

Looks 10/10
Flyability 1/10 but could easily be a 10 if this damned thing is sorted.

Cheers peeps.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:22pm
BUT, the Hawk does not have differential braking in the usually-accepted fashion. It does not have (as, for example, the English Electric Lightning) brake which is modified to either side by manipulation of the rudder. Quite simply, it has a left brake pedal and a right brake pedal. What you do with the rudder is of absolutely no concern. You could have full left rudder, apply a touch of right brake and the aircraft will turn to the right. I have tested this aircraft in a 25kt crosswind, applied minimal braking into wind until the rudder begins to bite (approx 30kts) and have stayed on the centreline.

Bottom line, it IS acceptable that we model systems accurately, particularly when you already have in your post the correct way to use the brakes.

I'd rather you convert to this aircraft properly (as real pilots do) and learn what it does, rather than going through the process of refunding - we have made an effort to create a simulation of this aircraft rather than just another stock aircraft. Hopefully, if you take the time, you will enjoy it.

Happy to help if you want to learn more,
Paul.
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

BUT, the Hawk does not have differential braking in the usually-accepted fashion. It does not have (as, for example, the English Electric Lightning) brake which is modified to either side by manipulation of the rudder. Quite simply, it has a left brake pedal and a right brake pedal. What you do with the rudder is of absolutely no concern. You could have full left rudder, apply a touch of right brake and the aircraft will turn to the right. I have tested this aircraft in a 25kt crosswind, applied minimal braking into wind until the rudder begins to bite (approx 30kts) and have stayed on the centreline.

Bottom line, it IS acceptable that we model systems accurately, particularly when you already have in your post the correct way to use the brakes.

I'd rather you convert to this aircraft properly (as real pilots do) and learn what it does, rather than going through the process of refunding - we have made an effort to create a simulation of this aircraft rather than just another stock aircraft. Hopefully, if you take the time, you will enjoy it.

Happy to help if you want to learn more,
Paul.
Paul,

Previous JF aircraft with this kind of castoring nosewheel (Canberra PR9 for example) have had the option to use FSX differential braking via the rudder input. Less realistic I know but more user friendly. This is a desktop sim, not a training aid. If you don't have rudder pedal braking axis inputs using keys for this is on/off so not very accurate or smooth in use.

Kevin
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:40pm
It was looked at and I believe will be in the first SP - deadlines hit us!
HOTZONER View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOTZONER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:08am
Perfect analogy. Yes, I too have turned into an octopi by this fact.
This is now for me the only drawback.
Well said.
HotelZulu
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:27am
As a temporary fix, you can add the following line to aircraft.cfg in the [brakes] section

differential_braking_scale = 0.8

Kevin
Hewy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:31am
Put simply Hawk pilots don't turn left and right on the ground by taking their hands off the control inputs and using their index and middle finger on some buttons on the instrument panel. All very, very silly and easily rectified.

Ta fellas. 
HOTZONER View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOTZONER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:44am
Originally posted by kevinh kevinh wrote:

As a temporary fix, you can add the following line to aircraft.cfg in the [brakes] section

differential_braking_scale = 0.8

Kevin

Thank You :) This temp fix was what I was looking for, works like a charm.
Would this be implemented in the .cfg file in the sp too? or perhaps as a toggle? ie as it was proposed as original AND a toggle to allow NWS at the differential?
HotelZulu
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:06am
Once you get the hang of it, and it doesn't take long, it works just fine. If the keys don't suit you reassign them.
HOTZONER View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOTZONER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:18am
I understand petesmiffy. For me though it isn't about them not being suitable, more of the use of the keys were a little annoying, especially when all other a/c didn't have to go down that road to enable steering at the ground. If I were to fly with others in formation, weather the same a/c as this Hawk, or not, and all taxiing out together, would make it all the more difficult for me personally to juggle the throttles and reaching for the keyboard at the same time.
HotelZulu
viper_31 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper_31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 10:06am
For nosewheel steering by hardware pedal input, you can try this (works for me)

Under the part [Contact Point] -> in the aircraft.cfg in the first line:

//-------0----1-------2---------3------4------5----6-------7------8------9-----10-----11---12---13---14-----15-
point.0= 1, 13.617,   0.00,  -5.600, 1900.00, 0,  0.71, 180.00, 0.120, 5.200, 0.25,  1.30,

there you chance the number between 0.71, and ,0.120,  to 45.00 instead of 180.00

and save
Good morning, gentlemen....

Holy ######, it's Viper!

Viper's up here, great... oh ######...
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by HOTZONER HOTZONER wrote:

Thank You :) This temp fix was what I was looking for, works like a charm.
Would this be implemented in the .cfg file in the sp too? or perhaps as a toggle? ie as it was proposed as original AND a toggle to allow NWS at the differential?
Glad it helped. I've no idea, Just Flight offered something like it as a user option on the Canberra so hopefully they will again.

Kevin
Hewy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 5:41pm
Great fix kevinh. Legend. Next, the flight dynamics. Haha. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic