This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-6B Oil Temperature Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-6B Oil Temperature Gauge
    Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 5:32am
I have a question about the DC-6B LOF Oil Temperature gauge. I looked in the updates section and saw there was a service pack but not for a download purchaser like me. I downloaded the package again to compare to what I had downloaded previously and says they are the same version number.

My question is why when the plane is above idle the oil temperature gauge is max out at 150+ temp and even flying on low MP at say, 17,000 feet, with cowl flaps 100% open and I presume the oil cooler flaps open all the way, the oil temp still shows 150+ C temps. Is that working right? Now yeah, when I bring the idles way down to idle or near idle the temps will eventually come down. 

Is this working right? I do also have the cargo variant expansion installed too and first noticed it on cargo flights. But seems the passengers ones also do it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what.
Destin65 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 2:55pm
Just as an update, did a flight in one of the intercontinental models and gauge now seems to be working when at cruise speeds. Could be that I might have set something wrong or forgot to open oil cooler flaps, etc. Will do another flight later today in a cargo aircraft. Hopefully it's just a situation where I missed a step in a checklist.    :)
Destin65 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 6:27am
I have figured out the problem it seems. If I stay at low altitudes the oil temp gauge works as advertised. Say, I climb up to 10,000 feet the needle will stay around 150 C due to climb power and after leveling out, setting cruise power, after a minute or two the temp gauge will go down. I can then close the cowl flaps to a cracked position, etc.

However, when I push altitude higher, and I haven't tried all altitudes, say on up to 17,000 or higher altitudes, then the engine power settings are such that the oil temp gauge stays maxxed out the entire flight even on cruise settings and cowl flaps 100% open along with the oil cooler flaps, etc. 

It's my understanding the operational ceiling of the aircraft was 21,000-22,000 feet range. And it seems there's no such thing as being able to change supercharger gear as stated in the manual above 16,000 feet I believe it is.

So I'm guessing the DC-6B LOF is kind of like the DC-3 LOF package in that everything is being factored in without a second stage supercharger? Meaning, in the DC-3 manual it mentions exactly that and you obviously compensate by remembering you may not be able to fly over Everest due to the supercharger being INOP. Doesn't say that in the DC-6B manual, if it did then I'd understand the need to stay at lower altitudes.

So, if this by design or a bug or am I just expecting too much? lol
Destin65 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 1:51pm
I think I found a problem. Got to looking at the aircraft config file and noticed the engine horsepower entry line. It was set to 2500 horsepower which is for the CB17 model R-2800. The 2400 horsepower entry was commented out with //.

I changed it to 2400 horsepower to simulate the CB16 the cargo checklist says that it is and now the plane flies very close to the numbers and also the oil temp doesn't stay pegged out when I'm flying at 14,000 feet. Yay! I can now close the cowl flaps down to 16% without the oil being pegged out. However, at 16,000 or higher it will be near or absolute pegged even with cowl flaps 100% open.

I'm guessing this aircraft is modeled on specifications without supercharger and I'm guessing limited to the 17,000 feet altitude I see mentioned in the manual and in the checklist power schedule chart. Not a big deal, just now I know I can't fly over Mount Everest with. Will have to go around.   ;-)
Destin65 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 2:22pm
Actually, I know what the whole problem is. The passenger aircraft got the fix but apparently not the cargo expansion aircraft. Hadn't flown any of the passenger aircraft until now because I mainly wanted the DC-6B cargo variant to use in Air Hauler.

I guess that poses a question, the cargo expansion get the fix the regular package got?
Mustang1977 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:37pm
Hey,

The Main Problem is that some of the Temp Gauges are NOT ACCURATE. Have a look at the CYL Temp: These are working not correctly.

I have added a 2D Panel with 4 CYL-Temp Gauges of the Standard DC-3. These are working correctly. Same with the Oil-Temps: There are significant differences with the normal DC-3 Gauges and the VC-Gauges.

First I thought the VC-Temps are in Fahrenheit (not °C). But this could be also not right.

So if anyone want this 2D Temp Panel, I show you how to built it in :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic