This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catastrophic landing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catastrophic landing
    Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:03am
  I wondered if anyone can help me please,yesterday i loaded 4 jobs on my A321 and took off to my destination,i did an ILS approach and everything was fine and when i got too 50ft i disengaged my autopilot and autothrust at 145knt and it just nose dived into the ground i lost 2 rep points,i thought it was maybe just a one off but when i did another 4 jobs to another location a bit later it did it again another 2 rep points lost,i was heavy and had too off load fuel to get the jobs in would that be the problem.  Cheers Mark.
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:59am
   Well i have just done another job and the same thing has happened to me again,this time i disengaged autopilot and autothrust at 500ft and it just sent me into the ground losing 2 rep points again,so what i did was watch a replay to see were i maybe going wrong and because i watched it again it took 2 more rep points off me,will i be better landing with ILS completely and not take off autopilot and autothrust,the last 2 days i have lost 8 rep points on my landings is there anything i am doing wrong please.

Flyer10 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:20am
Which a321 was it? Sounds like it was nose heavy. Look at the empty CoG and then make sure the loaded plane is close to it.
Also the FBW should automatically go to direct law once the gear is down. This doesn't happen in the sim, you'll have to use the 3 switches above you if it's the project Airbus/default, if it's the aerosoft one, the switch is somewhere in the FMS.
Also the project Airbus FFR version has full Autoland and limited vnav so use that if you are still on the default.
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:09am
Thanks for the reply,i am using the A321 that comes with FSX,i think i will just keep the autopilot on and land,i am new to the airbus and still getting used to it,i will have another go later and once again thank you for your help.
Flyer10 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 12:42pm
The default a321 is horrible and has trim problems coming off the autopliot, search for the project Airbus FD special version and use the a318-321 that does have an Autoland.
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 1:32pm
 Hi Flyer10 i just finished a flight from Prestwick to Glasgow and did an ILS landing with the autopilot left on and in landed fine so i am on my way to gaining some rep points back,but thank you for helping with the situation i had i appreciate it.
Flyer10 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 4:13pm
You will get more bad landings keeping the autopilot on, it's just slamming the aircraft into the ground with no flare. Glasgow is a 3* glide slope, they can be up to 7.5* so the angle to the ground would be 2.5 times as much.

Either switch off the AP at 500 feet to give you more time to recover or use a different aircraft. Despite being an Airbus fan, the default a321 is the worst aircraft for FSX. There are many more better freeware Airbuses available.
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 4:26pm
  I have found a site called fly away and i am going to download a 757 tomorrow as i think it will probably be better than the A321 for me,thanks for the info today.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 5:38pm
FYI Mark, 
We have a free, and quality, 757 available at our site: http://www.justflight.com/product/757-jetliner-freemium
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 4:55am
 Thanks Rich i will have a look..
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 5:48am
Thanks Rich i got the 757 and it looks brill...
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:56am
after i downloaded the 757 from just flight i noticed it didnt appear in my FSX list of planes but when i went to AH i noticed i was able to import it,but when i went to do a positioning flight i get an error message saying my FSUIPC isnt open and it disconnects me from FS any body know whats happening please..
Flyer10 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 10:51am
Looks like it wasn't installed right.
Make sure the installer in run as admin and then get it to work without AH first.
Mark View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 4:21pm
 I got it all sorted can you believe after not having used FSX for such a long time i hadnt got service pack 2 downloaded but thanks for your help..
TNguitar View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNguitar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:48am
Wow, this just happened to me in a flight I just mentioned in the forum about fuel usage.  But I am using the freeware 737-700 USAF plane you can get on simviation.  Great plane.  I normally fly props and this is the first or second time I have used ils system for landing.  I am coming in to PANC, everything fine, I am locked on the glideslope and I had no disengaged yet, I was still above 500 feet and all of a sudden the nose takes a dive downward, then lifts back up.  It looked like it would be fine, then I get closer to the rnwy and darn if it didn't take another dive downward and I got the warnings and just in time I shut off the AP and pulled up and kept her in the air long enough to get to the rnwy.  I hit hard causing 2% damage.  I have never seen this behavior in fsx before. 

I have a theory though. Because I always end up playing with empty weight and fuel loads and such trying t get bigger loads, I am wondering if I have too much cargo on aboard.  I had 33,000 pounds on this 737-700  Is that way over what a real 737 can carry?   I have never had this happen in normal fsx outside of AH, so it almost has to be something caused by the toying with weights and such when importing.  Talk about strange though, I had read this thread yesterday and was thinking "these guys must have something wrong with their computers or have done something wrong".  Then there I was just a bit ago being stunned when my 737 locked on the glideslope nose dived twice until I had to take over and shut ap off and barely saved the flight.  That was scarry, hope I can figure it out.
Flyer10 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 12:17pm
Don't mess about with the empty weight. Remove fuel so a 100% fuel and full cargo is at the mlw once 90% of fuel is burned off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic