This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-3 Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

obs dial?>

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corwinKB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: obs dial?>
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 1:37am
so there is no OBS dial for tracking VORs and ILS approaches? I finally after getting the service pack was able to get the ADF/NDB to track correctly but how can we do basic navigation if there is no NDB in IFR conditions without an OBS?
omnijet View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omnijet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 3:08am
OK... here we go. The ILS cross hairs will function with the ILS frequency tuned on your nav radio regardless of the course selected. The gauge below and to the right is your Course Selector (OBS) / heading indicator. Set your approach course on the course selector with the knob at the below left of the gauge. When you intercept the localizer/glide slope, turn inbound until the heading indicator needle lines up with the dual-needle course selector and fly the ILS in compensating for heading and decent to keep the cross-hairs centered.

For VOR Nav.. set the VOR frequency. If you want to track a VOR inbound, set the frequency, turn the course selector until the VOR indicator needle centers then take up a heading to line up with the dual-needle course selector. The RMI should point to the direction of the VOR. Same with flying a VOR course outbound. Set your desired course on the selector. Fly a heading angle that will intercept the course. When the VOR needle centers, fly the heading on course to keep the heading and course needles lined up. There... now don't get lost.
corwinKB View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corwinKB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 4:35am
i understand how to use VOR navigation, im just confused on the DC-3 layout since ive never flown a DC-3 in real life im not really sure what I am looking at. Sorry for the overly aggressive post before i wrote it out of frustration.

after looking at the cockpit again i saw the knob that you were talking about and yes it does work as you described it. The reason i didn't use it before is it wasn't functioning correctly (im sure it was on my end). It seems to work now after adding the service pack. 

Now maybe this is a question you can answer for me... why did the knob not work? I really like this plane so I am hoping we can get this going. I plan on buying the DC-6 soon too :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic