This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DH.104 Dove & Devon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dove FDE selector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dove FDE selector
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:43pm
Quote "An FDE switcher tool is provided in this update. The tool allows you to select between three different FDE options:

◦Standard - Updated to address reports of poor takeoff performance, climb rate and trim authority. This is the default option.
◦Alternative - As above but with increased aircraft performance and handling characteristics
◦Original - The FDE originally supplied with the product"

Nice to see a service pack for the Devon/Dove released - but why the 3 different FDE's?

Why can't it just have one FDE - i.e. one that matches the aircrafts performance in real life?

The product page says "Finely tuned flight dynamics" so it's not really claiming to be a model that's on the numbers/to be flown by the book like some developers promote, but can anyone provide some background info as to why you've had to go down this route?

The curious side of me is thinking that shouldn't it be a case of it's either correct or it's not?

Cheers!

Rob
TimSim View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:16pm
I assume they kept the original air file option as not everyone had reported problems with the handling. Not quite sure what option 2 means though...
Svengali View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svengali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:34am
Excellent! Thank you JF, the Dove is now a pleasure to fly with this update. Delighted that you responded so quickly to address the problems some of us were having with the flight dynamics.

Mike
TimSim View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:48am
Yes I tried it yesterday and its much better :)
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 11:49am
I'm pleased and very pleasantly surprised how quickly this has been addressed.

Note, what they have called Original is not quite as supplied with version 1.0. It now includes the missing pitching moment data table (473). The original FDE could be flown but was unstable in pitch.

I'm mystified why they are providing FDE options. Surely there is one correct version which addresses the concerns where they are justified. Also, why offer the original version (plus table 473)?

As there is no description of what the default and alternative version change it's hard to choose which one to use. Presumably one is more realistic in the eyes of the developer and the other offers further changes to satisfy requests. Which is which?

Kevin
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 12:06pm
There are brief descriptions on the support page - http://www.justflight.com/support/dove-devon/631b4d2

Stick with the 'standard' FDE, which is what the developer considers to be the most realistic FDE, unless you prefer the further increased performance (climb performance, trim rate etc) of the 'alternate' FDE. The original FDE has the missing table added (which was a bug) but should otherwise be the same as the original, i.e. no changes to climb performance, trim etc.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Bobcat View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:39pm
Excellent!  

Just took it for a spin.  Selected the default tutorial flight which is the BOAC Dove from Chester.

This is now a completely different beast and an absolute joy to fly - it was a wrench to leave it to post this comment - this aircraft could turn out to be one of my all time favourites!

First circuit I put it straight down on the centerline and right on the piano key first time!  The poor pitching behaviour is now completely gone. It is very stable and requires hardly any trimming. - flies beautifully, docile but with real character at the same time; it feels alive!

It now behaves just as you would expect, and you can adjust pitch with power.
I took it up to 3000 feet and cut power, the nose lowered until it picked up speed (it plunged tail first with the old flight dynamics!), and in a forced power off stick right back stall, it buffeted, and dropped the nose nicely; I applied power and recovered in less than a thousand feet with no drama.

For those who are complaining about the FDE, just leave it at standard and forget about it - job done!

I think the original FDE is a waste of time, but for those saying they remember more 'spirited' performance, they can go option 3.  For me the newer standard FDE is great and it gets off the runway in a decent amount of time.  I quite like the drama of an extended take off run anyway, especially when listening to those engines at full beans - fantastic!

There are quite a lot of other tweaks and fixes as well.  All very good.

Thanks to JsutFlight and the developers for fixing it so quickly.  Just when I was beginning to wonder what was happening, up popped the service pack, and it is a job well done in my opinion.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Bobcat Bobcat wrote:

Excellent!  

Just took it for a spin.  Selected the default tutorial flight which is the BOAC Dove from Chester.

This is now a completely different beast and an absolute joy to fly - it was a wrench to leave it to post this comment - this aircraft could turn out to be one of my all time favourites!

First circuit I put it straight down on the centerline and right on the piano key first time!  The poor pitching behaviour is now completely gone. It is very stable and requires hardly any trimming. - flies beautifully, docile but with real character at the same time; it feels alive!

It now behaves just as you would expect, and you can adjust pitch with power.
I took it up to 3000 feet and cut power, the nose lowered until it picked up speed (it plunged tail first with the old flight dynamics!), and in a forced power off stick right back stall, it buffeted, and dropped the nose nicely; I applied power and recovered in less than a thousand feet with no drama.

For those who are complaining about the FDE, just leave it at standard and forget about it - job done!

I think the original FDE is a waste of time, but for those saying they remember more 'spirited' performance, they can go option 3.  For me the newer standard FDE is great and it gets off the runway in a decent amount of time.  I quite like the drama of an extended take off run anyway, especially when listening to those engines at full beans - fantastic!

There are quite a lot of other tweaks and fixes as well.  All very good.

Thanks to JsutFlight and the developers for fixing it so quickly.  Just when I was beginning to wonder what was happening, up popped the service pack, and it is a job well done in my opinion.

Thanks for those kind words. "An all time favourite" -  Let's hope so.  :)

Christopher Low View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher Low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 6:07pm
Any chance of a demo version in the near future?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Christopher Low Christopher Low wrote:

Any chance of a demo version in the near future?

We are looking into that possibility at the moment Thumbs Up
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Bobcat View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 7:18pm
I have flown the dove for many hours now after the first service pack. Whilst there are still a few small issues, the aircraft is now well on the way to being a classic in my opinion.  It is a very immersive experience and now an absolute joy to fly.  The visual model is superb, and the changes between the different versions keep it interesting to fly.

Anyone who has the chance to demo it will surely end up buying it.

Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Bobcat Bobcat wrote:

I have flown the dove for many hours now after the first service pack. Whilst there are still a few small issues, the aircraft is now well on the way to being a classic in my opinion.  It is a very immersive experience and now an absolute joy to fly.  The visual model is superb, and the changes between the different versions keep it interesting to fly.

Anyone who has the chance to demo it will surely end up buying it.

Thanks for the kind words Bob. Much appreciated.
flyforever View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 11:41am
does any one know how to turn on the g430 on the Dove?  Some instruments turn on, while others don't turn on. tony
FV
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by flyforever flyforever wrote:

does any one know how to turn on the g430 on the Dove?  Some instruments turn on, while others don't turn on. tony

Replied in your dedicated topic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic