This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

parking LOWI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: parking LOWI
    Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:23am
Hi I have Traffic 360 & GSX normally they work very well together but everytime I want to park at Innsbruck airport I get South parking LOWI
OK but then GSX tells me I have to go to parking which is hellicopter parking JFLI in Traffic 360 it has priority before LOWI
does somebody know how I get my planes to park with GSX in the South parking.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:02pm
Is this with the default LOWI airport? Or are you maybe using an "enhanced" version of LOWI (ie, you've downloaded an updated AFCAD file, or it might be part of a scenery package you've installed)?

I don't have GSX, so I am unable to offer any advice or suggestions there. However, I can offer information on aircraft parking in the sim in general. Aircraft parking in the sim depends on a number of different factors. Those are:
  • The information contained within the aircraft.cfg file which includes the aircraft's wingspan width, parking type (gate, ramp, cargo, etc), and parking "code" (a code that contains the airline information such as British Airways, EasyJet, etc). Some aircraft have different values in their respective aircraft.cfg files meaning that a British Airways A320 might be set to park at the gate, but an EasyJet A319 might be set to park at the ramp … these two aircraft would therefore probably park in different spots at the airport.

• The details in the airport scenery file (AFCAD file). Each parking spot in the file is set to a type (gate, ramp, cargo, etc), has a particular size (wingspan width), and is usually set with parking codes. This is why the question above needs to be considered ... is this with the default LOWI or a LOWI from a download or scenery package … because the parking spots in the default LOWI might be configured differently from the parking spots in a download version or scenery package version of LOWI.

• When the aircraft lands and a parking spot is needed, the availability of free parking spaces at the airport which are the appropriate size for the aircraft. In other words the aircraft wingspan must fit in the spot and the spot must not already have an aircraft parked in it. An airport, for example, might have many free spots, but those spots might only be set in the airport file for smaller sized wingspan aircraft. A 747 (large wingspan size) can't park in those smaller sized spots and therefore it won't park there even if the spot is free.
So you can see that where an aircraft parks (and where ATC, and perhaps even GSX, will tell it to park) depends on a number of factors in the aircraft itself, and in the airport file. The sim will look at the aircraft.cfg file to find out the parking details for the plane, and then it will try to find an available parking spot in the airport file that suits or matches those same criteria.

At least that is how it works with the default ATC. As to what GSX does, I have no idea (remember, I don’t have GSX). But, I would imagine GSX would do something similar (if not the same) as what the default ATC does. Therefore, if it works for you with the default ATC, then it probably should work the same with GSX?

It gets even more complicated if you start seeing planes being told to park in helicopter spots. Helicopter spots are specifically set as helicopter spots in the airport file. The sim simply won't park planes in a helicopter spot.  However, if you accidentally have TWO copies of the same airport loaded in to the sim at the same time, and they are therefore "overlapping on top of each other", then it is possible that an aircraft parking spot in one of those files is over the top of a helicopter spot in the other file. This can result in planes appearing to park in weird places such as inside buildings, on top of windsocks, in helicopter spots, etc.  So, if you do see this kind of "weirdness", then you should check to make sure you do not have two airport AFCAD files being loaded in to your sim at the same time.  If you were checking LOWI, for example, you would do a FILE search for LOWI in your flight simulator folder to see if there are two files with the letters LOWI in them. There is also a tool called "FSX Airport scanner" from Scruffy Duck Software that will find these for you ... a Google search should locate that for you.

It is true that Traffic X and Traffic 360 do provide updated versions of many airports. LOWI may be one of those. With that in mind, Just flight took steps in their installer, to ensure that this did not mean you had two copies of the same airport loaded in to the sim at the same time. However, that does not mean that you won't necessarily still have a duplicated copy of LOWI loading in your sim. Sure, Just Flight might have prevented that in their installer; but if you happened to download a copy of LOWI, or got an updated LOWI with a scenery package, and it was installed AFTER installing Traffic 360, then you could obviously still have a duplicated copy of LOWI loading in your sim ... so you should still check for that if you think that could be part of your issue here.

As for getting your aircraft to park in the SOUTH PARKING, that will depend on how the parking in the LOWI airport file has been configured as per all of the above information. If the SOUTH PARKING has been set in the airport file with the right parking types, parking codes, and appropriate parking spot sizes for wingspans ... AND your planes are similarly configured in their respective aircraft.cfg files to match those, then the planes will indeed park there.  Otherwise you will need to start making some changes and editing some files (eg, editing the aircraft.cfg files or editing the airport file itself [AFCAD] with an AFCAD editor). A discussion on doing that would be a lengthy one, and one which I will not attempt to discuss here. Suffice to say there is lots of information on the Internet about how to go about those things.

In conclusion, as you can see, there are a lot of factors which determine where a plane parks. Whilst checking for duplicated airport files, looking in to and maybe editing aircraft.cfg files, and/or also doing the same with the airport AFCAD files will help you to confirm or find the answers about why your aircraft do or do not park in the SOUTH PARKING at LOWI with the default ATC, I don't know how GSX works and therefore I am unable to provide any advice on whether such efforts will also mean it will similarly work with GSX.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 2:42pm
Freddy, I can't help thinking that your dissertation on 'Parking' should qualify for a "PhD" (at the very least) at a top university!

Good work.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
niloc View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 10:27pm
Hey Guys I have from Aerosoft Approaching Innsbruck maybe this is the problem.Colin
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 2:05am
RayM ... A parking "PhD" you think? I suppose that was quite a detailed response. A kind of "discussion paper" if you will. But, I cannot take all of the credit here. I owe my knowledge to guys like Jim Vile and Reggie Fields who did all the early ground work and research with FS2004 and FSX back in the early days. If you want to know anything about how parking in the sim works, then researching and reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts from those guys, on a myriad of forums, is the way to a greater understanding of how it all works. From there, you make your changes to your files and observe the results. Whilst not everyone wants to go to those lengths, I am the kind of person who is annoyed when something doesn't work the way I expect it to work, and therefore I want to know why, and how to fix it. I now have the knowledge I have thanks to those guys, and a few others such as NickN, along with a lot of personal patience and perseverance.

niloc ... Yes, it could be the fact that you have the Aerosoft version of Approaching Innsbruck. As I wrote above, it is possible you have two LOWIs loading in to the sim at the same time. In this case maybe a Traffic 360 one (if Traffic 360 did do an updated LOWI), or even the default FSX one, and then the Aerosoft one on top. I'd suggest you check for this first. If it does turn out to be a duplication of the LOWI airport, then you'll simply need to disable the file(s) that you don't want the sim to load. That's done merely by renaming the file you don't want it to load. By renaming it, the sim won't "see" it, and therefore won't load it.

Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 10:07am
Can anyone get in on this discussion? ("Hi" to Ray and Freddie).

Below is a link to some of the information about Flight Simulator X parking assignments that Freddie has probably read already. For anyone else who wants to delve into the details of FSX parking assignments, I think that it is a worthwhile resource.

Parking assignment - FSDeveloper Wiki
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 1:57pm
I would suggest disabling Traffic 360 Airport Facilities in the scenery library. It is installed by default. This often conflicts with payware scenery AFCAD by adding duplicate AFCAD files and produces bizarre results.

Kevin
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 1:07am
Soaranden! It is good to see a new post from you.

Hmmm, kevinh does have a good point there. I went down the whole "check for duplicates etc" path out of habit and experience. But a quicker "test" for a possible duplicated AFCAD would indeed be to disable the "Traffic 360 Airport Facilities". If that does work for you, then it will likely confirm you do have a duplicated LOWI AFCAD file as I was suggesting, and, of course, it will also resolve your issue. So that's a great suggestion from kevinh. Keep in mind though that doing this will also mean you lose all of the other updated airports that come supplied with Traffic 360. Therefore, if you want all of the updated airports that Traffic 360 provides, then turn the "Traffic 360 Airport Facilities" off purely as a test to see if your issue is resolved, thus confirming you probably do have a duplicated AFCAD, and then turn it back on and try to find the actual individual duplicated LOWI AFCAD ... or ... if you don't care much about having all the updated airports from Traffic 360, then just turn it off and leave it off.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 11:23am
I often find 'problems' when using airfields which, in either Traffic X or Traffic 360, have 2 files for an airport - one for the main airport and another for the helipads at that airport. In Traffic X for instance, the airfield is AFX_LOWI.bgl and the helipad is AF2_JFLI.bgl. I have found that when I land at one of these dual airports I often notice that, in the FSX Flight Log, I have landed, for instance, not at LOWI but at JFLI even though I landed on the main runway. I have always presumed that, as FSX loads airfields/airports alphabetically from the storage folders, which means that AF2_JFLI.bgl is loaded 'above' AFX_LOWI.bgl, FSX thinks that I have indeed arrived at JFLI.
I avoid this situation by preventing the loading of the Helipad sections of airports by renaming them '.old' in the Airport Facilities folder. I don't bother much with helicopters so this is no great loss.

Not sure if this helps with the original problem but may be food for thought - so my suggestion would be to 'kill' the JFLI bgl file and see if the same problem occurs?

[I have now checked my Traffic 360 files and there are still 2 files for LOWI, namely AF2_JFLI.bgl and AFX_LOWI.bgl, so my suggestion still stands.)
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 11:39pm
Yeah!?

I didn't know that the AF2 files were "Helipad" files. I've just learnt something.

I've never bothered to open any of the AF2 files in an AFCAD editor. But now that you've mentioned this, I opened the "AF2_JFLI.bgl" file in an AFCAD editor ... and it does indeed confirm the file to be "Innsbruck Helipad" ... but, interestingly, it doesn't contain any helipads; only aircraft parking spots and information about the airport's ILS.

Considering these are AIRCRAFT parking spots, and not helipads, it is all a bit strange because helicopters wouldn't even be parking on these spots.

I guess only Just Flight knows the thinking behind what they've done here, and why.

Ray, with that in mind, you may wish to carefully consider which of these files you "turn off" by renaming them '.old'. You might possibly need to leave some of them "turned on"? If some of them don't have helipads, but instead contain AIRCRAFT parking spots, then they may form an important part of the aircraft parking at the respective airport(s). So you may be missing out on some aircraft parking at those airports.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:47am
Freddy,

any TX/T360 files that start with a "J" contain/define helicopter runways (usually very short) and parking spots and as such are used by any helicopters (which use RAMP type parking spots - "Helipads" are just a visual thing) in the AI traffic files that come with TX/T360. The ILS is for the use of these helis only. The lack of physical helipads does not stop helis from using the parking spots. I have never understood JF's reasons for using this method for heliports.
If I want to use any of the TX/T360 airports (regardless of whether there is an equivalent heliport version, I ALWAYS use ADE to improve (?) the parking, scenery etc before considering opening it in FSX.

I spend more time altering airfields and adding AI than I spend actually flying!

LOWI, for instance, where JFLI puts parking spots, I have added some normal aircraft parking.

In TrafficX, there are AF2 files and AFX files, both of which have some heliport "J" files. In Traffic 360, I see that the "J" files are all AF2 types. All airfields/airports are now AFX files so I can assume that some re-design work was carried out between the TX and T360 versions.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:09am
Ahh. I have been using HeliTraffic 2009 for so long, I forgot that helicopters parked at RAMPs.

For the record, when you have HeliTraffic 2009 installed, helicopters will ONLY fly to, use, and land at HELICOPTER STARTS in the AFCAD (as opposed to RUNWAY STARTS). This means that, with HeliTraffic 2009 installed, helicopters will NOT park at RAMP parking spots.

OK ...

Just Flight would have done these "pseudo" helicopter airports because, unless you are using HeliTraffic 2009 and also decided to delete all the helicopters from the AI flight plans, helicopters in the simulator TAXI to the runway, lineup, and then accelerate down the runway to takeoff like a conventional aircraft. Quite unrealistic. So to set some (helicopter) parking spots very close to a short "fake" runway, in a "pseudo" secondary airport AFCAD, kind of makes sense in an effort to mitigate that unrealism.

For this to work, Just Flight's default AI flight plans would need to send AI helicopters to the "pseudo" airport, and planes to the main airport.

And, yes, the helicopters would be using that "pseudo" ILS for their landings. I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet the ILS in these "pseudo" airports is pretty short and steep (in an effort to mimick a vertical helicopter landing).

So, if this is what they are doing (or trying to do), then I think it kind of makes sense.

However, I do see a problem. A problem could potentially occur when the airport is first loaded, and, similarly, AI planes are also loaded at that time. Unless specific efforts are made with parking codes, and parking spot sizes, AI planes could be loaded on these "helicopter" RAMP spots and thus take up spots that helicopters would otherwise use.

And, also, an unsuspecting user, using the Traffic Control Centre to do their own flight plan edits etc, would most likely innocently set helicopter flight plans up to use the main airport (because these "pseudo" heli airports are not mentioned in the manuals or tutorials).

In short, it's a pretty cool idea. But, it is not without some potential problems.

The BEST way to fix ALL of the issues with helicopters in the simulator, is to simply use HeliTraffic 2009 (I cannot recommend this program enough). And, with HeliTraffic 2009 installed and running, you should delete all of the helicopters from the default flight plans provided with the Traffic X/360 product. With HeliTraffic 2009 the helicopters take off and land vertically, like REAL helicopters, and they land on HELIPADS (using the HELICOPTER STARTS in the AFCAD file). They don't park at RAMPS. They don't taxi. It all works REALISTICALLY. All much better than trying to use some "pseudo" airport trickery.

Now, having said all of this, I do give kudos to Just Flight for this. If I am right in what I've written above, then I can see what they are trying to achieve, and it is quite clever to say the least, albeit with some (probably minor) potential issues. Although, to be honest, I am not so sure this is their original idea - I think it has been done before.

(On a side note, isn't it good to be having a conversation again in these forums? ... it's been a while.)

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:12am
Freddy - we can all benefit from other's experiences. I check all relevant forums every day to see if I can gain useful tips.

Todays new fact - looking in ADE I now see there are 3 types of START namely RUNWAY, WATER and HELICOPTER. I didn't know this until now and wonder just how they vary - will have to investigate (perhaps ask this on the ADE Forum).

Interested to read your thoughts on JF reasons and methods to achieve some sort of 'realistic' heli traffic. Can't argue with any of it.

The JFLI ILS glideslope is set at 3 degrees would you believe!

Use of parking codes could be used to force helis to use the parking spots which would stop other fixed wing types from using them.

But, on the whole, I think I can live without having helis in my FSX experience so, even though HeliTraffic 2009 sounds like a interesting addon, I guess that I have plenty of other areas that I like to work on.

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:19pm
Yes, there are three types of START: Runway, Water, and Helicopter. We have already mentioned Runway and Helicopter in this thread. The Water Start is for seaplanes (such as the default Beaver, for example). It is possible, with your AFCAD editor, to create working seaplane bases (airports) in the simulator. Water aircraft (such as the Beaver) can have flight plans set for them to and from these seaplane bases. They will taxi to and from docks and pontoons, take off, fly, land at the next seaplane base, and finally taxi back to a dock or pontoon. All of this just the same as normal AI at normal land-based airports. I have SEVERAL of these operational seaplane bases in some of my scenery packages, and I successfully managed to make one such working seaplane AFCAD of my own. However, if you are thinking of doing this, be sure to do a bit of research about how to do it as there are some "tricks" you need to know to make it work.

In keeping on topic ... if you have HeliTraffic 2009, you can download some AI helicopters on floats and set these up to land and takeoff at these seaplane bases.

The JFLI glideslope is 3 degrees huh?! Interesting.

Yes, do your research on the different types of AFCAD Starts. I've given you some information above on the Water one. Not much, but enough to whet the appetite. Trust me, if you know how to use the different Starts, and/or you're interested in setting up some working seaplane bases, then having knowledge of the different Starts types will open a whole new avenue of AFCAD editing for you.

And, trust me again, you really DO need to get HeliTraffic 2009. You don't even need to configure it or set flight plans. Just purchase, install, run it, and choose an AI traffic percentage for your helicopters. Job done! It will use the helicopters it finds in your hangar and simply randomly fly them to and from airports for you. The helicopters will takeoff from, and land at, the HELIPADS at the airport (remember that Helicopter START we were talking about?). You don't need to set flight plans or anything. It's all automatic and magic. Seeing the helicopters actually take off and land vertically, like real helicopters, without you needing to do anything at all (AT ALL!), is worth the purchase price alone. So, for you, it would be perfect ... you say you can do without helis in your sim ... with this program you just install it and run it ... voila! ... working helis, and you didn't have to do anything to get them. Sure, if you do want a bit of control, then, yes, it does have additional options such as allowing you to do some basic flight plans, or picking and choosing which helicopters it uses; but, essentially, it is a program you just buy, install, and run ... nothing more for you to do. You don't even need to modify your existing AFCADs! It is exceptional. Do yourself a favor and get it. (Note, if you use P3D, then check first if it runs OK in that.)

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:05pm
Freddy,
have been down the seaplane airports path a couple of years ago after I downloaded a load of files from Lands End Sea Planes (LESP) which cover a lot of places around USA. Nice designs but only OK for user aircraft. I have modified quite a few and now got a good amount of AI going between them - it is nice to be flying around and watch floatplanes going in and out of water bases. I don't remember using the Water Starts when I did the modifications so I will go back and see just what I did - whatever it was seems to have been OK as I flew in and out of these airfields myself as well as the AI operating as I arranged.

And thanks, I think you have persuaded me to take a look at HeliTraffic. If I do go for it, I am bound to have some questions about what it can do, so, if you don't mind, I might PM you with any queries I come up with. I am running FSXA so no problems there.

Now to go into ADE and FSX to play with different types of Start to see just what they do and how they affect User and AI.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:08pm
Ah, so you have done and know about seaplane bases. Yes, they are very cool.

It was Soaranden who convinced me to purchase HeliTraffic 2009. Initially, like you, I removed all of the AI helicopters because I didn't want the hassles of them taxiing, sitting at hold short points, entering runways, and all that stuff. They frustrated me. So I removed them from all the flight plans. I had previously looked at HeliTraffic 2009, but considering all the work I had done, and the immense time I had spent, on aircraft flight plans, I didn't want to have to do it all over again for helicopters. Little did I know how wrong I was. Soaranden, in the Traffic X forum, explained the program and suggested I take another look. Armed with his information I did "better" research on it, and I took the plunge.

To this day HeliTraffic 2009 remains one of the BEST purchases I ever made for Flight Simulator. No question. Install, choose a traffic percentage, tell it which helicopters you do and don't want it to use, DONE! I instantly had helicopters flying to and from airport helipads, with vertical takeoff and landing realism, and all without me having to add a single flight plan, edit any AFCADs, or do any work whatsoever. And, it runs automatically when you start the sim, so you don't even need to lift a finger. Just pure magic. I was absolutely stoked. (Minor note: Remember that I had already previously removed all the existing Traffic X helicopter flight plans - which you would have to do if you have not already done so.)

It ran like this in my simulator for ages. I didn't need to touch a thing. But, one day, I decided to add my first custom landing spot and a handful of basic helicopter flight plans. The software lets you do this with ease, and you don't even need to compile anything. Better still, the files created by the program are all TEXT-based so they are easy to manually edit if you want to make slight changes or adjustments, and, of course, they are also easy to save and backup. In addition to all the usual helicopter traffic automatically looked after and handled by the program, I now also had medical helicopters flying to hospitals, helicopters flying to and landing at fire spotting towers and cabins in the mountains, tourist helicopters flying "joy-flights" up and down coastlines, etc etc. And these only took a few mouse clicks to achieve.

An added bonus is you can set any AI object to be a helicopter (by a quick aircraft.cfg file edit) and then use HeliTraffic 2009 to set this object to fly to and from two customised takeoff and landing points in the sim ... and when I say landing points I don't only mean airports, but also parks, hilltops, mountains, etc ... so imagine blimps, hot air balloons, gliders, hang-gliders, and the like. It's fantastic!

Sure, feel free to PM me and ask any questions.

Hmmm, I see we have well and truly hijacked this thread and gone off topic ... Oops.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic