This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Flying Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beechcraft Duchess comments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstroma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beechcraft Duchess comments
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:42am
Hello,

I am not sure if customer support or this forum would be a better place to post this. I'll try here first.

I have downloaded the demo of the Flying Club Duchess (BE-76). I am a real-world pilot (about 700 hours, with about 100 complex) and wanted to try out the demo to see if it would help me with my multiengine training which is in a Duchess.

The visual model and virtual cockpit look great. I appreciate the detail that went into implementing the systems of the aircraft. The ground handling and flight controls also feel like the real thing.

However, there are numerous inaccuracies in the implementation of this model:

During runup:
  • There is no RPM drop when the magnetos are cycled.
  • There is no RPM drop when the carburetor heat is applied.
  • Engine RPM returns to its previous speed way too slowly when the propeller controls are cycled.
  • Engine RPM changes too slowly when manifold pressure is changed with the propeller against the pitch stop.

During takeoff and climb:
  • Climb rate and angle are way too high. I pegged the VSI at >2000fpm during climb. The real world aircraft does not climb nearly this quickly. See a POH for real climb numbers.
  • The manifold pressure does not decrease with altitude. This airplane is not turbocharged, so manifold pressure should decrease about 1" per thousand feet, and likewise climb performance should suffer as well.

Inflight/Traffic pattern:
  • The speed on downwind is too slow, with 18" MP and gear retracted I should get about 100 KIAS in real life, I only get about 85-90 KIAS. The RPM is too slow too, the propeller wouldn't normally be against its pitch stop here.
  • The aircraft sink rate is too high on base and final, however I have to fly the real aircraft again to see what it should be.

There are some other issues but these are the most significant.
dstroma View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstroma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:44am
Perhaps I should ask if these issues are there because I'm only using the demo--I mean, is the demo a simplified version of the full product? Or would the full product have these issues as well?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic