This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-80 50 to 70 fuel management

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-80 50 to 70 fuel management
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:50am
Hi,

I need some help with the fuel management on this aircraft. The manual does not say much about handling the fuel pumps in flight just: "Once airborne, remember to adjust the fuel levers to balance the weight of the aircraft for even fuel burn"
Haha lol yes should be clear but how??
Problem is that I loose engines after a special time of flying although I have enough rest fuel in the tanks.

Is there a DC-8 fan here how could explain it to me? The plane must be loaded through fsx, so there is no fuel manager. So I am not sure when I need for example 50% fuel for my trip: Do I load 50% in each tank or do I have to split it?

I am very happy if someone can help me! Jump

Martin
kbjorklund View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbjorklund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 1:02pm
Hello Martin.

I am not sure how used to fuel management you are (I am used to the Boeing 707/727, so the transition was...interesting to say the least). It sounds to me like you had the fuel setup in a tank to engine configuration and the tanks ran out of fuel.

Basically, for each engine, you have the source (fuel tank), course (the path to the engine) and the force (fuel pumps).

At the bottom of the panel are all the fuel tanks, with their fuel levels. You will notice leading form those dials are lines (which is the course) that intersect the levers on the panel. Basically, I usually turn all the fuel pumps on (located mid panel, below the levers), and load the fuel in tanks for a balanced payload and make sure the course follows the flow.

It would probably make sense once you experiment a little bit - if you have questions post here and I'll try to help.

If it helps, I learned fuel management from a video on JustPlanes - they have a few with 707s and one of them has an engineer give a description of the panel and how it works in detail. The look of a DC-8 is very different, but you should be able to notice similarities.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic