This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F27 Friendship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PIA a flight into history.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crankpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PIA a flight into history.
    Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:41am
Often much of the enjoyment I get from doing repaints comes from the research I have to do rather than the repaint itself. Searching for suitable/useful photos, useable logos, finding the right or at least close to the right fonts, and sometimes what you learn.
I wanted to do a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) Fokker Friendship not because it was a particularly interesting livery (only it's mother could love it) but rather because PIA is famous and sometimes infamous in the history of the F27. PIA flew the aircraft for 45 years and used something close to 30 different F27's over that time, both of those could be records. The aircraft served domestically all over Pakistan notably to and from many challenging high mountain destinations and internationally to India and the middle east eg. Oman and the UAE. Inevitably in 45 years of challenging flying there were incidents and accidents including one PIA F27 that vanished in the high Himalayas no trace of which has been found to this day.
This aircraft AP-BDQ 'City of R Y Khan' served PIA well for 17 years without major incident. Purchased from Rio Sol Servicos Brazil (PT-LDJ) in 1989 she had already served 25 years world wide having started work in Japan in 1964 (All Nippon Airways as PH-FFU) then then Australia's TAA as VH-TFW for 10 years (it's not unlikely I flew in her myself during this time) before going to Brazil, then to Pakistan. She was and all her sisters were withdrawn from service in July 2006 after one crashed shortly after takeoff due to and engine failure, but that wasn't the end of her story. She had to suffer the ignominy of having a retired Airbus A300 fall on top of her, it had blown off it's stands during the Monsoon Aug 2006 in Karachi, and that broke off the starboard wingtip. I can find no further record of her after being withdrawn from the register on Dec 17, 2007.
One of the highlights of my research was finding this video on YouTube, it is in fact the very same aircraft AP-BDQ, but that's not important right now. It's got everything a movie needs in 7 minutes, atmosphere, tension, a girl, and a good laugh at the end. Oh, and turn the sound UP!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraZbcPukdo  

OK here's the repaint.  Enjoy and Happy Landings.

PIA Pakistan International Airlines  Fokker F27-200  AP-BDQ  'City of R Y Khan'

As she appeared in 1997 commemorating 50 years of Pakistan's independence.

and over the pass en route to Chitral

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic