This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Flying Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Archer III Fuel range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archer III Fuel range
    Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 11:08pm
I wonder what the fuel range should be in the Archer III, reports suggest 472nm @ 65% power.  Today, I flew her with 3 passengers + pilot @ 100 knots around 5,000 feet on a direct to.  Tank 1 ran out at 94 NM, journey end was at 139 NM which rather suggests the range would be 188 NM at these settings.  Even dropping to 65% for economy seems doubtful.  I wonder if the aircraft.cfg needs tweaking, this seems rather low at the moment.

Range =  472.0 nm (with reserve)

547.0 nm (without reserve)
(6000 ft, 65% Power, Best Economy)

The above figures do not suggest laden/unladen, as in passengers and baggage.  Just general figures after doing a Google.  I checked the fuel before setting off and it was at or very very close to maximum on the Archer.  I`m really enjoying flying this plane.  I admittedly did not take to it readily at first, now I cannot leave her alone.

If anyone needs a small plane and is debating it-get the Archer, she`s really smooth but just uses a lot of fuel as far as I can see Wink  Graphics, textures and the cockpit are A1 and then some.  Flight dynamics are brilliant.  Being able to set passengers in there but hide the one sat next to you is excellent.  From outside you see them, but not to the extent that the inside view is hampered by someone sat in the next seat when you look out that window.

Reider
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 11:18am

Hi!  I also have the Archer III and love it.  I also fly PA28's in real life and I would expect those figures are for the absolute maximum distance you can make out of the aircraft.  You wouldn't get this sort of range out of an aircraft with a full passenger load.  I would say 2350rpm is the most economical cruise power setting and gives about 110kts, plus if you're flying higher than 3000ft you should lean the mixture off so the engine is not running so rich.  This improves performance and uses less fuel.

Kind regards,
Tom
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 12:13pm
Thanks, I`ll have a look at that.  It seems in real life this would be an expensive aircraft to fly with that kind of consumption.  I wonder what it would typically cost to fuel up the Archer III fully.  Thank god we don`t pay for the fuel in the virtual world.

Reider
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by reider reider wrote:

It seems in real life this would be an expensive aircraft to fly

It is.. .

Try the flight again with full fuel tanks but a very light passenger load (perhaps solo).  When flying, set cruise power of 2350-2400rpm at about 6000ft, and lean the mixture.  To do this properly without using auto lean in FS, very slowly pull the mixture lever (or use CTRL+Shift+F2) until your RPM increases.  Reset 2350-2400rpm if necessary.  During the flight, change fuel tanks regularly to keep the aircraft balanced - don't use all the fuel in one then all the fuel in the other, as this will make the aircraft heavier on one side than the other and it will not fly as efficiently.

Just had a chat with my dad who flies a friend's Archer II which has the same size fuel tanks.  The Archer can carry 46 gallons of AvGas, and with todays prices to fill them completely costs about £250.  This will give about 6-7 hours flying time.
Kind regards,
Tom
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 8:19pm
Many thanks Tom, some excellent and informative info there.

Reider
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 2:26am
Woo hoo!  Just completed an experiment.  Four people in the Archer III and full fuel on board.  We left EDDF Frankfurt after taxiing from the rear of the airport.  Climbed to 3,000 feet at which point I adjusted the RPM to between 2250 and 2350, the mixture was leaned off as far as possible.  Climbing on to 6,000 feet the height was maintained throughout the journey with about 100-105 kts.  The fuel tap was changed from one tank to another on a regular basis to keep the aircraft balanced and maintain maximum fuel efficiency.

We hit a steady breeze to strong wind just over midway across the channel.  Settings were maintained as far as possible.  Where they fluctuated was only basically in the air pockets we hit.  It was quite a relief to get across the channel, considering my earlier experiments with fuel and mileage.  We once more hit some crosswind just after 75 NM from our destination, quite a strong gust too but managable.

We reached our destination at EGCB Manchester Barton and the first approach was a little high for that flimsy high wire fence and grass runway, a tad fast too. But the nerves were a little jangled to say the least, we hadn`t come all this way to crash or run through the perimeter fence on the all too short slippery grass runway.  So I performed a go around and then got into a more controlled approach.  We used 75% of the runway length, I have done it with 50% once or twice (all good fun).

We had flown 455 NM!! Plus their was enough capacity I would judge to go another 50 NM so the official stats were spot on and this bird is definately in line with them-nice one JustFlight!  Thanks to Tom Wright for furnishing the inside information on how to achieve the optimum fuel usage against distance.  I really enjoyed this trip. Clap Clap

Reider
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic