This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight plan compilation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flight plan compilation
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 10:46am
Do you have to compile one complete flightplan compilation for Traffic360 or can you separate them with differently named .bgl's ?
The default bgl appears to be ai_traffic.bgl which can be renamed to something like Traffic_360.bgl. I have tried making for example a Military.bgl by compiling only Military 2012 option in Traffic360, and then another for VFR and another for all the airline/commercial traffic. Particularly military is my current interest. I used the freeware Flightplanner (AIFP) to have a look at my Military flight plans and timetable for Coningsby, and it shows lots of flights. When I go to Coningsby at the time of the first group of scheduled flight I see only 1 plane, a Tornado ! Does this mean that fsx is not reading my standalone Military.bgl?
I also want to know if the time table e.g Military 2012 means i only see the flights if i set FSX to 2012 or should it just be based on flight plan info from 2012 but operates in any year?
Thanks in advance for any help you you may give.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:40am
I am not sure about timetables and years etc. But I do know that it is possible for FSX to load more than one traffic AI file (.bgl file).

For example, I have ORBX's New Zealand South Island and North Island scenery. That scenery contains additional airports that the default FSX does not have. My normal traffic AI .bgl file caters for the default FSX airports, worldwide. All good. But, I also have an additional (second) traffic AI file that caters just only for the additional airports that are in ORBX's New Zealand South Island and North Island scenery. Both of these files happily load in to FSX and I see traffic at all the FSX default airports, as well as all the additional New Zealand ones. If I ever uninstall the ORBX New Zealand scenery, I will be able to also simply remove the additional (second) New Zealand traffic AI .bgl file.

If you are creating or working with more than one traffic AI .bgl file, be careful that no planes are "doubled-up" (ie, the same plane and flight plan appears in TWO of the compiled .bgl files) ... Otherwise you will see duplicated planes in your skies.

And, finally, a word of warning ... I have read that FSX can get upset if you have TOO MANY traffic AI .bgl files. Having said that, I don't have conclusive proof that this is true, nor have I ever experimented or tested this. I only have my TWO traffic AI .bgl files, and I'm happy with those.

=============================

Edit:

Oh, and as further support to the fact that FSX can work with and load more than one traffic AI .bgl file, don't forget there's also other files such as "trafficBoats.bgl" (loads AI ships), and other similar .bgl files already installed (usually) in to your "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery" folder all ready to go for you when you run FSX.

jjaycee View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:12am
Hi Freddy. Thanks for your input. The seperate files I have created and talking about are from Traffic360 only and not additional files supplied by add-ons such as orbx. I too have orbx traffic files which run fine as additional coverage for their airports etc not covered by fsx. I have AUS and several NA addons from orbx.
 I am talking about  a separate compilation of Military within Traffic 360 and naming it as Traffic_military.bgl. Then I compiled a separate VFR traffic file Traffic_VFR.bgl and then i just compiled the airlines traffic from the schedules offered of Summer and inter, excluding military and VFR and labelled that file as Traffic360.bgl. I therefore end up with 3 separate compiled traffic files all from within Traffic360. I am sure the process can be done in TrafficX as I think you do not have 360.
 So I guess I am asking if traffic360 requires ALL one's choices of flightplans to be compiled into ONE bgl rather than creating specific ones for different "classes" as i have done, to ensure that the bgl is read.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:26am
As always I need to say that I am only (?) a TrafficX user but I suspect what I am going to say goes for Traffic 360 also.

Due to the way that TrafficX/360 compiles schedules, i.e. putting random percentage values into the BGL so that appearance of aircraft will vary depending upon your FSX traffic settings, I use AIFPC to create additional BGLs for traffic that I want ALWAYS to appear at the required airports. To this end I have over 12 extra BGLs of mine in the same location as the main ones.
It may also be of interest that I have sets of UK2000 airfields installed and each airfield is supplied with its own small BGL to make sure that there is some activity at all of the airfields. This means that there are loads of BGLs (over 100) being read by FSX and, in my case anyway, there seems to be no degradation in performance.

Incidentally, I used to think that the 'random percentage values' were a nuisance in that you would 'schedule' a flight in TrafficX, compile and open FSX to look for the aircraft only for it not to appear as it had a value above my FSX traffic settings value. As I said earlier, I overcome this by using AIFPC when required. But at least this 'randomness' can be good as, if you do a TrafficX recompile without even having made any schedule changes, you will get different traffic at your airports/airfields due to the random effect being different.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:39am
I agree with Ray that the "random percentage" can be a bitter-sweet thing. On the one hand it is great to have the randomness of each compile producing different results for AI, but on the other hand it can be annoying when you specifically want particular aircraft to always appear in FSX each time you do your compile but, sometimes, with each compile, those aircraft do not.

To specifically answer jjaycee, yes, you can indeed do it the way you are doing it ... creating a separate military .bgl file, a separate VFR .bgl file, a separate airliner only .bgl file, etc. Traffic X does not place a restriction that flightplans must always be compiled only into ONE .bgl file rather than specific ones for (as you call them) different "classes". And if Traffic X doesn't have such a restriction, then it would be safe to assume that Traffic 360 doesn't either.
jjaycee View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 8:30pm
Thanks guys for your help. Glad to know I was not doing anything wrong !
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 2:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic