This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm back!! Need advice on a pc.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD80 and A320 Captai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm back!! Need advice on a pc.....
    Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 10:28am
Hello all you wonderful flying friends.

After years out, I'm back and able to fly, join a VA etc, and I see that JF have released alooooooooot of add-ons in the years.

I need a PC so I can join you all again in the skies where I feel I belong!!

Budget - would be happier to keep it under about £600 but will flex a little for better hardware.

Intel processors seem the choice for FSX, but look costly in trying to bring a build in within budget. I like the cost and the look of a high end AMD 990X/FX......thoughts?

Graphics wise I've been looking at the Radeon R7 range (260X) 2GB cards.

I'm not interested in running fsx in ultra high mode, just enough to make it good and realistic enough. A few good airport addons around Europe, scenery addons, London airports etc., some traffic and so on. And ofcourse, for it to run smoothly without any lag or low fps.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers folks.
MD80 and A320 Captai View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD80 and A320 Captai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 11:55am
Just been doing some research......

Could I run FSX well with add-ons with the following computer? Seem really good value.....only thing that doesn't sit with me is the fact that they're not 'K' processors.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Typhoon.html

MD80 and A320 Captai View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD80 and A320 Captai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 12:00pm
sorry.....

found another....

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/nextday/nd3000/step1.html
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 9:53am
You are doing the right thing going for Intel. Intel CPU's have a faster architecture clock for clock, compared to AMD.

Your budget is limited of course, but it really depends on what kind of frame rate you deem the minimum acceptable. I would be guessing, but with "sensible slider settings" I would expect you to see 25-30 frames per second over a detailed default airport. Add to the equation a very demanding add-on aircraft, or third party scenery, or heavy weather and you may be less fortunate.

Your graphics card choice does have 2GB of video RAM, so you will probably benefit from the BP=0 tweak to the FSX CFG, boosting your frame rate nicely.

Difficult to predict, there are too many variables.

The non K processor can't be overclocked of course, so you would have to accept that overclocking is not open to you, so no chance of upping the frequency to gain frames per second.

I have to say, for your budget there may well be a better option, so my advice would be to nip over to the Avsim Hardware forum and ask there. The guys over there are fully up to date on all the latest kit, and are bound to have great suggestions for your limited budget.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/326-mobo-ram-cpus-other-hardware/

P.S. Ever thought about building yourself? You get to pick the best components and may save dosh.

Don't skimp on the PSU, very important to get a good make with enough wattage. Very important to make sure your PSU has enough amps on the 12 volt rail for your graphics card too!

mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:03am
Coming from a long line of AMD cpu's I can only reccomend the Intel. AMD work but simply not as well with FSX. Lats AMD was 6800 at 4.8 gig. my 4790k at stock beat it hands down with FSX. Of course Nvidia graphics but there are so many i wouldnt know which one.
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:54am
I usually have 8-10 machines here and while some are AMD, Intel are the ones I use for FSX.  Personally I prefer nVidia for FSX too.  I wanted, for a very long time, a quad core K chip.  I have a very limited budget as a semi invalid and could not afford the quad core just yet.  So I went with an Intel Anniversary Edition Dual Core CPU that allegedly overclocks to 4.8gig.  My personal target was 4.2 gig and I tried at 4.6 but eventually settled at 4.2 gig and it has been running brilliantly over a month now.

I based mine on the same budget motherboard I would have used for the quad core and the same memory chips too.   So that later I can simply slot in the quad core I want.  I bought an item each week for 5 long long months and got a Zalman Z3 Case, Kingston SSD drive which is small but really boosts my startup and shutdown speed if nothing else, Cable extenders as the case is a bottom load for the PSU.  Bought a PSU, Asus DVD Drive,  2TB Seagate HDD, Win7 Pro retail 32/64 and using the 64 bit I got for £31.  The mobo is the Asus H81-M Plus, 8 GB memory is the Corsair Vengeance and the CPU is the G3258 20th Anniversary model.  CPU cooler is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, which I shoehorned in.  Temps are low 30 at idle and mid 40's under load.

When I move to the quad core all I lose is about £50 from the present CPU and all current quads work in this setup.  I can then later possibly use the dual core in another setup with a budget board. Or go for maybe a Z97 board and keep the dual core in the H81 board.  Currently I am using my old GTX 550ti card with this setup and this is earmarked for a change later.  This is now my only used item in the setup and it took a long time to get to this position.  Now I can really enjoy FSX.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-intel-pdc-anniversary-bundle--includes-h81m-plus--intel-pdc-g3258---8gb-vengeance-memory--9MBS.html?utm_source=retention%20email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_281014&utm_content=i800
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 4:15pm
Hew seems to have vanished. He posted on 6th Feb and obviously hasn't bothered to come back to see if there are any responses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic