This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help!
    Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 5:03pm
when i use the sim routes optin and it comes up with a route like up15g...
is that what i just put into the fmc and then i activate it.
because that what i really need so its alot quicker.

Kind regards joe
j.staddon
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 5:04pm
I don't understand the question?!
Kind regards,
Tom
11jovic View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 5:17pm
when i use the sim routes page. and i want to install the flight plan i have to just add what it says. like if it says this is the route. egll cpt upga5 gdt56 ..... etc then do i just get one and put these in one after another :D

kind regards joe

j.staddon
mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 12:52pm
before you start your flight, use the flightplanner and save the flight then when you start your flight , if using the GPS it will already be in there. I have no idea of which aircaft you are flying but if you are loading up a FMC then you just enter the waypoints starting with the airport of origin, then first waypoint, ie might be bidder, just enter that , then the same with all the other waypoints ending at the destination aiport. You may find in some FMS that not all waypoints are avaliable so you may have to bypass one or 2.
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
masped View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 2:31pm
SimRoutes outputs something like this for a flightplan:
EGLL SID SAM R41 DOMOK UN621 BASIK UZ150 DELOG UN864 RATAS B42 NEA UN864 ORBIS STAR LEMD

In this example it's from London Heathrow to Madrid Barajas. The entries in bold type refer to the major waypoints along the route. The entries in normal type refer to the route from one waypoint to the next.

To enter this flightplan into the FMC you first need to go to the ROUTE page of the FMC and enter EGLL as the origin airport and LEMD as the destination airport. You then need to press the NEXT PAGE button. The waypoints are entered on the right hand side of this screen and the routings between the waypoints on the left. Ignoring the SID for the time being, the first waypoint after EGLL is SAM (Southampton VOR). Type SAM into the FMC and then press the top right button to store it in the boxes at the top right of the screen. The next waypoint is DOMOK and we reach it by flying along airway R41. Type R41 into the FMC and press the second button on the left hand side of the FMC to store it. Then type in DOMOK and press the second button on the right hand side of the FMC to store it below SAM. Continue like this for the other routes and waypoints until you get to ORBIS, entering the route codes on the left hand side and the waypoints on the right hand side.

If you activate this route it should work fine. If you want to fly a specific departure to get from EGLL to SAM you will need to go to the DEP / ARR page to select it - you will need to know the runway in use. It's also good practice to check the LEGS page to make sure there are no discontinuities in the route.

Hope this helps.

Matthew
11jovic View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 9:14pm
dear masped.

i have this flight plan (CPT3G UL9 KENET UN14 PEMOB UN24 SLANY UL9 MALOT 5420N 5530N 5440N 5350N HECKK YAY N184B TOPPS J581 ENE4)  for my pmdg 747 but i have no idea on how to put it into my pmdg 747 fmc. could you help me at all mate.
e.g its from egll to kjfk

kind regards
joe
j.staddon
masped View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 5:47pm
Sure.

The first thing to point out is that CPT3G is the name of the SID and ENE4 is the name of the STAR. CPT3G takes you from EGLL to the Compton VOR and ENE4 takes you from the Kennebunk VOR to KJFK.

The next point is that because you are flying across the Atlantic you have some waypoints in the plan that are specified as latitudes and longitudes (5420N 5530N 5440N 5350N). These need to be entered into the FMC as waypoints without specifying any routing between them.

To use the notation from my previous example your flightplan becomes:
EGLL SID CPT UL9 KENET UN14 PEMOB UN24 SLANY UL9 MALOT 5420N 5530N 5440N 5350N HECKK YAY N184B TOPPS J581 ENE STAR KJFK

So to enter it into the FMC, go to the RTE page and enter EGLL as the origin airport and KJFK as the destination airport. Now press the Next Page button - you should have a more or less blank screen.  As I said in my previous post, you enter the waypoints (all the entries in bold in the flightplan) on the right hand side of the FMC screen, and all of the airway routings on the left hand side.

CPT is the first waypoint, so type in CPT and then press the top button on the right hand edge of the FMC to load it. From CPT you are using the UL9 airway to get to KENET. Type in UL9 and press the second button on the left hand edge of the FMC to load it. Type in KENET and press the second button on the right hand edge of the FMC to load it. Keep doing this for all of the subsequent airways and waypoints. If you run out of room press the Next Page button to bring up a fresh screen.

The exception to this process is that after you have entered the MALOT waypoint the next waypoints up to YAY all have to be entered on the right hand side of the FMC screen without entering any airway between them (the FMC will show DIRECT on the left hand side of each line when you do this).

Once you have entered all the airways and waypoints you should now have FMC route screens that show:

DIRECT         CPT
UL9          KENET
UN14       PEMOB
UN24       SLANY
UL9         MALOT
DIRECT    5420N
DIRECT    5530N
DIRECT    5440N
DIRECT    5350N
DIRECT    HECKK
DIRECT        YAY
N184B     TOPPS
J581            ENE

That's all of the enroute waypoints done.

The next part is to specify the SID and STAR (CPT3G and ENE4). Press the DEP/ARR button on the FMC. It should bring up a screen looking like:
<DEP   EGLL   ARR>
           KJFK    ARR>

Press the button on the left edge of the FMC next to where it says <DEP
On the left hand side of the next screen that comes up will be a list of the different SIDs available. Find the line for CPT3G (you may need to press the Next Page button to show more options) and press the button on the left edge of the FMC next to it. The runway list on the right hand side of the screen should change to just show 27L and it should say <SEL> next to the SID name and the runway. If runway 27L isn't selected automatically then select it manually.

Press the DEP/ARR button again, but this time press the button on the right hand edge of the FMC where it says KJFK  ARR>
The next screen brings up a list of all of the STARs available, so find the one called ENE4 and press the button on the left edge of the FMC next to it. You also have the option to specify the arrival runway if you know it. If not you can ignore it for the time being.

That's the flightplan specified, but before you activate it you need to check the LEGS page to see whether there are any discontinuities in the route. Press the LEGS button and scroll through the route. If there are any discontinuities then these will show up as a set of boxes on the left hand side of the screen and the words ROUTE DISCONTINUITY underneath. To get rid of a discontinuity ("disco"), press the button on the left edge of the FMC corresponding to the line showing the next waypoint after the disco. The waypoint name will appear at the bottom left of the FMC screen. Now press the button on the left edge of the FMC next to where the boxes are. This should remove the gap in the flightplan. Repeat this for any other discos.

You should now have a complete flightplan without any gaps. Press the EXEC button on the FMC to activate it.

All done! Good luck with you first flight!

Matthew
11jovic View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 6:47pm
hey mate
thats a big help do you have if you wouldn't mind cos im still at bit worried that i haven't got the idea. do you have all the virgin atlantiv flight plans. could you help me set them out like you have done....
DIRECT         CPT
UL9          KENET
UN14       PEMOB
UN24       SLANY
UL9         MALOT
DIRECT    5420N
DIRECT    5530N
DIRECT    5440N
DIRECT    5350N
DIRECT    HECKK
DIRECT        YAY
N184B     TOPPS
J581            ENE

If you could do that for me i would really apriciate it. the virgin atlantic flight plans can be put here.
thats the link if you could i would really be greatful.
even if you did some at a time
but the ones form heathrow i really want.
:)

kind regards joe
j.staddon
masped View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 10:09pm
How about I do an example, and then if you get stuck doing them yourself you ask again?

I think once you are able to work out what refers to an airway and what refers to a waypoint you'll be fine. Anything that's just letters is a waypoint.  Anything that's four numbers plus an "N" or an "E" is also a waypoint (e.g. 5239N or 44E06). Anything else which is a mixture of letters and numbers is an airway. Waypoints are always entered down the right hand side of the FMC and airways are always entered down the left hand side. If there is no airway specified between two waypoints then you only need to enter the waypoint names and the FMC will automatically assume that you fly directly between the waypoints.

I also have to point out that the Virgin Atlantic routes that you linked to don't appear to have been all that well prepared - they don't contain proper SIDs or STARs and some of the waypoints are wrong, which isn't going to make things easy as a beginner!

Anyway, to use the LHR to BOS flightplan:
EGLL LINDY UL9 SHA UL9 MALOT 5323N 5331N 5239N 5047N
5050N 5E56 YQX 5E4A YYG J573 YSJ CANAL J575 SCUPP KBOS

Obviously EGLL is the origin airport and KBOS is the destination.
LINDY, SHA and MALOT are all waypoints (as they are all letters), as are 5323N, 5331N, 5239N, 5047N and 5050N (because they are four numbers plus an N). YQX, YYG, CANAL and SCUPP are also all waypoints. In theory all the other entries which are a mix of letters and numbers should be airways, however I don't know what 5E56 and 5E4A are supposed to be. They are not recognised by the PMDG FMC as being either waypoints or airways but looking at the plan I think they can safely be ignored.

So, waypoints are entered on the right hand side of the FMC and airways on the left. For this flightplan you get:

DIRECT     LINDY
UL9              SHA
UL9          MALOT
DIRECT     5323N
DIRECT     5331N
DIRECT     5239N
DIRECT     5047N
DIRECT     5050N
DIRECT         YQX
DIRECT         YYG
J573              YSJ
DIRECT     CANAL
J575         SCUPP

As mentioned, you don't need to type in the "DIRECT". The FMC will fill that in automatically if you don't specify an airway.

You can then activate and execute this flightplan and it'll work.

As I said above, the flightplans don't appear to have been well done. The first waypoint of this plan should probably have been CPT which would let you use a SID. Also you may have noticed that from LINDY to SHA and from SHA to MALOT you are on airway UL9 all the way. This means the plan could have been written as LINDY UL9 MALOT and it would have covered exactly the same route.

Anyway, see how you get on and shout if you need more help.

Matthew
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by masped masped wrote:

In theory all the other entries which are a mix of letters and numbers should be airways, however I don't know what 5E56 and 5E4A are supposed to be. They are not recognised by the PMDG FMC as being either waypoints or airways but looking at the plan I think they can safely be ignored.
Matthew

you would be correct Matthew i checked this out on Simroutes using the Generate Plan Feature and it ignored those waypoints also
11jovic View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 1:49pm
i understand now. im sorry to be rudematthew i just get frustrated with stuff that i cant work out sometimes. i understand now thats wht i need to do thats very much i will use the virgin atlantic routes but i will leave out 5E56 bit out cos it is rubbish. so yeah thanks again. i understand about the airways now and if anyone asks me about airways i will try and explain and then i will send them to this forum to say listen to matthew :)

kind regards joe
p.s thanks again really greatful i will be flying forever now :)

j.staddon
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 3:32pm
Hi Joe,

If you are uising the PMDG 747 then page 21-25 of the FMC manual will help when trying to build and enter the flightplan.
Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
11jovic View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 3:37pm
yeah i have it but i want flight plans for virgin atlantic and it was confusing but now im fine. thanks for the reply.

kind regards
joeSmile

add my msn i can talk to you l8r about it
9-10 i will be on
j.staddon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic