This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airport locations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airport locations
    Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 10:18am
Has anyone had cause to visit UUBD (Ryazan Dyagilevo AB in Russia)? It is one of the airports supplied in the TrafficX files but I don't think it is in the FSX stock airports? When I happened there, I found myself in the somewhere middle of a sea. To my surprise it turned out that I was off the coast of Newfoundland in the direction of Iceland! I found, by looking at the BGL file in ADE that there is an error in the position of the airfield caused by a typo - N 54.641666673 E -39.571666718 is the location. Removal of the "-" sign corrected the situation but now the airfield is smack bang in the middle of a built-up area so I am making a revised background for it using ADE.
Has anyone found others like this?
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 5:38pm
Found another one - URKP - also an air base in Russia.
I wonder how many more are hiding in here!
Not only are they in the wrong hemisphere, they do not have 'Backgrounds' and contain elements that need to be corrected if you want to use the airfield.
Wonder if the same things are in 360?
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 3:01am
Yay, a new post in the Traffic X forum (something that hasn't happened in quite a while).

Yes, I've come across a few of those myself. I figure that if these airports are on other continents and therefore I don't visit those airports very often (almost never) that I don't care too much to fix them. However, if they happen to be airports that are local to me, and I do visit them often, then I fix them.

Sadly, it is not only Just Flight (Traffic X) that can provide "faulty" airport AFCADs ... I have airports in my sim from plenty of other developers (including PAYWARE) that have issues.

Not to defend the developers of these airports and products, but I doubt they hand-type all the data in for airports etc. They probably automatically import data and tables from publically available sources. The details in those sources probably have (to use Ray's example) NEGATIVE signs in front of them (for whatever reason) causing these kinds of issues. That's not to say the data is wrong, just that it is in a format that doesn't conform to what FSX expects. Add to that, depending on the product, there'd possibly be A LOT of airports to test and I'd forgive the developers for not testing every single one of them and finding the issues. So I don't think I'd blame the developers outright. However, that said, these kinds of things should still be noticed even if you randomly test a handful of the airports in the region (or regions) that you're working on. I can't forgive, for example, all the erroneous airport AFCADs that I have in a product that I purchased which covers just only New Zealand. Nearly all the supplied AFCADs in that product have obvious errors and issues. Parking spots inside buildings, taxiways that have broken links, runways that don't even link to taxiways, etc. Surely testing would have found these kinds of errors. So on one hand I say you can't blame developers, and then on the other hand I say you can. I suppose it depends on the product and the scope of that product.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic