This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:37pm
All DC-8s in the packages have a ridiculous starting result - once they light off at around 15% N2, they rapidly accelerate to a very high RPM and then as quickly reduce to idle; jets just don't start that way unless they have a severe problem, then the airplane would be down to check for exceeding start limits.

Once lit off, an engine should smoothly accelerate to idle and egt settle down to a normal reading.

I have never flown a DC-8, but I sure have flown a heck of a lot of military jets, never had one start that fast or overshoot idle so wildly!
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:04pm
You are absolutely right.  This is default FSX turbine engine modelling, goodness knows how Microsoft ever thought it was acceptable. Addon developers have to add their own custom software if they want to make the start look more realistic. Sadly it's often left as default, but I suppose most users won't know how real jet engines start anyway.

Just Flight have modelled engine starting better with their more "in depth" addons like the Canberra and Tornado for example.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic