This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW PC
    Posted: 01 May 2014 at 4:21pm
HI all I now have a new PC at long last just for FS-X. it has INTEL i7 not overclocked an 2 hard drives 1 is a SSD hard drive and one 1TB normal hard drive. the man who made the PC has put on WINDOWS 7 on the SSD or should it be on the other drive. with the FLIGHSIMULATOR X going on SSD drive to give the best speed possible for FS-X. Can I just drag and drop all the stuff of the SSD to the other drive
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:45pm
As far as I understand an SSD will only give you faster loading times but will not improve FSX performance or fps.

Good luck with the new rig.
Must Fly!
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:22pm
hiffy Do you have a SSD in your PC?

can't wait ill I FS-X on the new PC.
I going to use ORBX scenery all the UK.
LONDON looks good and there a few site seeing trips and things to see around the UK.

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:33pm
No, no SSD for me as recommended by others on Mutleys Hanger forum, however it's a good idea to have FSX on a dedicated drive. As for Orbix, I done have much scenery as I fly tubeliners so it's mostly irrelevant, you don't see much scenery at 25,000ft. UK2000 and Aerosoft do some good major airports.
Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 7:11am
Operating system, and FSX on the same SSD is absolutely fine.
Both OS and FSX will benefit.

No need to worry about switching either to another drive. Benefit from fast windows boot and fast FSX texture loading.

FSX on a different drive to OS was never an essential approach. Even less important with an SSD.

Enjoy your sim.

reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:36am
Lately I fly a lot of tubeliners, but still prefer the scenery as light planes are my number 1 interest.  At the moment I am intrigued with the A320/A321 Extended, never thought I'd love an airbus.  Though I will be going back to the PMDG NGX 737 at some point plus my light planes flying into and out of Barton Airfield too.  It's nice having the best of both worlds Geoff, gives you lots of variety and choice.  Just enjoy that machine and get the best from it, you deserve it after waiting so long.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:23pm
I not fly any lot any tubeliners, I prefer military and WW11 planes are my number 1 interest. All flown at 600 feet or lower so the scenery has to look nice. I have flown in a RAF C130 at 500 to 1000 in the UK. I do remember one flight a Flight Sargent on the same fight in early Feb / March 1968 saying 'They have started lambing early' The pilot Bob Steel said they started last week he was a pilot that enjoyed flying low and so just about all the ground servicing engineers wanted to get a flight with, as he was a rally driver as well he could navigate VFR without maps. He was one of the best 30 Squadron C130 pilots at RAF Fairford.

GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:20pm
well after 3 years from when I first had FLIGHT SIMULATER X and it not working fps of 4-5.

so then getting FS-9.

I have a new PC now just for FS-X not overclocked with an INTEL i7 with NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX770 it giving a good fps 50 to 70 over LONDON with OBIX scenery it's looking good. is there any better scenery
I can have for VFR in the UK.
I do a lot of low flying in a C130 as I want to see things of interest when I am low flying.

also can anybody recommend good airports and RAF airfields for the UK

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:40pm
UK2000 do excellent civil airports.
Must Fly!
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 6:04pm
I expect its like you have discovered flight sim again, looks amazing when you get a good spec pc....
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:35am
wain
it's fun to fly now I have 1 NEW PC with FS-X.
my old 4 year DELL VISTA PC has FS-9 on it.
A good ACER i5 laptop, it also FS-9. I can take it with me, into Hospital if I go in again. still have years old AND slow Windows XP PC.

I flown 3 Aircraft at the same time in formation. The system will do 4 but that may be hard work for one Pilot. three 3 is the most I have done using the a SimshedC-130RDAF. just set AP it near fly's itself just to have the others near on the same coarse/height/speed.

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 4:12pm
Hope you're enjoying the new rig. Thing is, now that summer has sort of arrived we feel guilty about staying indoors and simming.

Did you look at UK2000? They do VFR airfields too.
Must Fly!
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 5:06pm
are the vfr airfields like photos? if so do they look very poor when flying quite low? I tend to not go much above 6000ft so I was wondering what would give me the best looking ground.....I have ultimate terrain x so I am wondering what would improve on that, and once AH2 comes about I will be looking for something that installs seamlessly into P3D....
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 6:07pm
Hi Wain, I don't have their vfr airfields so I cannot comment on those. I have their major and regional airports and they look good close up.

Look on their site for compatability with other scenery, also they do demos, give it a try.
Must Fly!
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:12pm
thanks hifly I will have a look.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic