This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACTIVE SKY NEXT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:44am
Good news.

Now you will have an awesomely realistic weather radar in the PMDG 777, after SP1.

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 3:45pm
Got REX recently and it crashed on me with the message 'Failed to read from file'. It is on my shortcuts but when I try to input anything it tells me to put it in the FSX root file.

Please can anyone tell me how to find the root file.

I find REX a bit complex and not user friendly to the computing ignoramus that I am.

Is Active Sky Next simpler and/or better than REX?

Opinions appreciated.

Must Fly!
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 5:15pm
I can only comment on Active Sky, I had Active Sky 2012 and thought that was really good, upgraded to ASN and it looks amazing, I am not one for messing with too many settings so I just fire it up set it to live weather and take what ever comes and it does look really good.

people who have used both have told me that ASN is better for depicting the weather which is all I want, I understand you can use ASN with whatever textures you have but I don't know if it will work with REX textures but I am sure Martin or Slopey will fill you in on that.

I am always amazed whilst flying little GA how cool and realistic it looks, I was flying around my local airport the other evening (Bristol UK) and the weather was so correct, lightening heavey rain etc, then half hour later it had cleared and so had FSX with sun peeping from behind the clouds.

A thing to remember on how good anything looks though is to think about the machine, some people complain something looks awful when they just reach minimum specs so it was never going to be good.

with regards to your Root file I am sorry but that is beyond me, again Martin may be of some help he always has a few suggestions.

Hope this helps.....

wayne.
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:10pm
Thanks Wain, I might give ASN a try

Tell me. Does it always wain in Bwistol?

Sorry,
Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm
ASN is for weather only, doesn't come with textures.

So yes, you can use it with REX no problem. I use ASN with REX.

Sounds like the reason REX is having trouble is because you haven't told it where your FSX is installed. Or you have, but got the wrong location.

So... In the config manger, under "general configuration", make sure you have your simulator location entered. Just browse for it.

Failing that, the lads at REX are very nice, great support and very friendly, especially Tim. So don't hesitate to ask their advice.

hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:12pm
Thanks Martin.
Must Fly!
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by hifly hifly wrote:

Thanks Wain, I might give ASN a try

Tell me. Does it always wain in Bwistol?

Sorry,

I thought you were Jonathon woss then....
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:13am
ASN gone back to Ambient weather problem again, will get in touch with HIFI ASN people in the mean time I will go back to AS2012, when using AS2012 I just want the real weather I don't want to make my own weather but I am unsure if I need to change anything like WX Options etc, read manual and it just says to much made my head hurt......so if I use wx influenced does that load the weather 'settings' for my current weather or do I just fire it up then launch FSX and fly.....sorry if this has been covered but I just want great looking up to date real weather conditions for where I am flying....
mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:06pm
You can just start FSX and fly. I tend to select the airfield im flying from in the conditions tab, or if i know what airport i am flying from and too, than I enter them into the flight plan section and hit refresh, of course if you have created a FSX flight plan you can load that than it can work out the weather along the way.
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 7:26am
ok thanks....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic