This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update and Autopilot not working.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jettrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 2:33pm
I modified the Virtual Cockpit texture according to a Pan Am DC-8-32 Service Manual - now including flow bars and checkvalves. Nevertheless I'm unable to use the fuel panel according to the manual. 
sevenflyer View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sevenflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 11:49pm
Sorry I've taken a while to get back into this discussion, Ive been away on business the last few days. My apologies Jettrader, I should have looked a bit deeper into the system before I made that statement. I too cannot get the crossfeed to work properly. However, unlike pre SP1, the white fuel tank select levers do work properly. In case anyone hasn't yet figured this out, here is a table describing what the fuel tanks are in the FSX toolbar, as compared to what they are labeled in the DC-8 panel:

1 Main =   Center        2 Main  =   Left                 3 Main =   Center2          4 Main   =  Right
1 Alt    =    Left Tip       2 Alt    =    Left Aux.         3 Alt    =    Right Aux.       4 Alt     =  Right Tip

Center Wing Aux = Center 3

There does not appear to be tank  in the FSX toolbar to correspond with the Fwd Aux Tank.

To draw fuel from the required main or aux tank, put the white lever for that engine at the barbed end of the arrow which leads from that tank on the display. They are labeled correctly. The engines will not fire up without fuel in the selected tank, and will shutdown when it is empty, nor will they start with the tank selector in the "off" position.

The crossfeed sort of haphazardly works. With the white Center Wing Aux lever down, and the #1 crossfeed black X lever down, #1 or # 2 engine will run as long the corresponding engine tank selection lever is in the ALT position. The #3 & 4 engines do likewise, but using the #4 engine crossfeed. The #2 and #3 crossfeed levers don't seem to do anything.  NEVER put the FWD AUX white tank selector down or all engines will flame out. If this happens, put the Center Wing tank selector down and start least one engine. All other engines will now start, regardless of the position the Center Wing Aux selector is in. Obviously this is quite incorrectly modeled.

My earlier point was mentioned because previous to Sp1, no matter how much fuel I had in any tank, or what tank selector I had in any position, unless I had fuel in the center wing aux, my engines would not run. At least now the fuel tank selector levers seem to work correctly.

- Roger

Mike Hart View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 8:54am
I have worked over the DC-8 with about 8 hours of sim time devoted to getting to know this aircraft.

The Autopilot will not work on my Win7 64 bit system with a Sublogic joystick and FSUIPC. The issue is the altitude hold is not synonymouse with the pitch hold swtich nor does the pitch control wheel (roc/rod sett wheel or althold setting activate with a mouse, it is possible to get a tool tip indication of rates in ft/min but not to activate or to work, mouse control/activation switching it is not suited to a 2 button mouse wheel mouse.

HERES HOW I GET AUTOPILOT FUNCTIONALITY.

I select the autopilot on using the panel lever as provided and no heading select. I set the required attitude by manuall ajusting pitch attitude and power for the regim of flight climbing or descending and I use trim to adust and control or maintain. I select the autopilot on using the key command CTL+H, the aircraft will then track the HDG BUG on the HSI.

To hold altitude i use CTL+Z as per FSX and the altitude hold for an autopilot will then hold the desired altitude accurately. CTL+Z a second time to deselect. Same for heading.

Once you know the required or are comfortable with the various pitch attitudes and power settings for various regimes of flight, then they key commands are fine and quite user friendly and the HSI and FD switching works properly.

If your flying an ILS and you want it on the AI as FD then you must select ILS on using the left hand switch on the AI.

There are a bunch of other bugs I will post elsewhere.
rodtod11 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodtod11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 3:33am

"The Autopilot will not work on my Win7 64 bit system with a Sublogic joystick and FSUIPC. The issue is the altitude hold is not synonymouse with the pitch hold swtich nor does the pitch control wheel (roc/rod sett wheel or althold setting activate with a mouse, it is possible to get a tool tip indication of rates in ft/min but not to activate or to work, mouse control/activation switching it is not suited to a 2 button mouse wheel mouse."

That explains why mine wont work. I go back to SP1 and its works great!  I wonder if this is why I cannot get the Viscount Auto pilot to work either???

rodtod11 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodtod11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 3:34am
Originally posted by rodtod11 rodtod11 wrote:

"The Autopilot will not work on my Win7 64 bit system with a Sublogic joystick and FSUIPC. The issue is the altitude hold is not synonymouse with the pitch hold swtich nor does the pitch control wheel (roc/rod sett wheel or althold setting activate with a mouse, it is possible to get a tool tip indication of rates in ft/min but not to activate or to work, mouse control/activation switching it is not suited to a 2 button mouse wheel mouse."

That explains why mine wont work. I go back to SP1 and its works great!  I wonder if this is why I cannot get the Viscount Auto pilot to work either???  
pilotcop View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotcop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 10:30pm
@sevenflyer

I don't have a Center 3. FSX will only support up to 8 tanks I believe. I have all the tanks you listed except Center 3, therefore no fuel in either the Center Wing Aux or Fwd Aux.
pilotcop View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotcop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 1:13am
I stand corrected. I looked at the -33 and it does have a center 3. My mistake. Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic