This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cmos battery seems to have gone again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cmos battery seems to have gone again!
    Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 5:23pm
Hiya guys,

I changed the cmos battery on my new build in November because the other had died, even though it was a new board. Now, it appears that the same problem has happened again, the time in the uefi is not moving and I have changed it a couple of times. Is there anything I can check that may be causing the battery to fail? I used a good quality one, an energizer one which had a date of 2020 on it.

I always power down the pc and switch off at the mains after use.

Cheers,

Rory
dogtrack View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogtrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 6:11am
Should be good for about 5 years (or there abouts). Seeing as you have had the experience twice, within months, leads me to believe that the battery holder may be at fault. Use a magnifier if you can and have a look to see if there is an irregularity in the seating. Both with/without the battery seated. (something likely to cause a short & thus discharge the cell).

If nothing is obvious, then you will have to replace the MB...under warranty still I presume.
Arnie

...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

i7 4770K : GTX 770 : 8GB Ram : FSX Gold : P3D : X-Plane : W7 64 :
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 8:54am

Thanks for the input.  I'll have a look-see when I change the damned thing.

Rory

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 11:18am
Is this a Z87 board?

If so there is an issue, hold on...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 11:23am
Okay, it seems the solution is to reset the CMOS. It seems there might be an issue that's surfacing re the Z87.

Check to see if there's a new BIOS as well, the issue may have been addressed.
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 7:00pm
Hi Martin, sorry, been away for a few days. Yes its the Z87 Deluxe. I updated the bios to the latest version on Sat just gone and then changed the battery again. At the minute it seems to be ok, but will keep a close watch on it. if It does it again and I reset the cmos, presumably this will set it back to the default settings?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:39am
Here's some more info on this common issue Rory, from the Asus experts...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36676-Frozen-Time-Clock-in-UEFI-The-Fix&country=&status=

Quote Frozen Time Clock in UEFI - The Fix
Is your motherboard suffering from the malady of a frozen time clock in UEFI?

If so try the following:

1) Reflash the latest UEFI, using EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS flashback.

2) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI. Once in UEFI power down the motherboard. Keep the PSU attached and "on". Only the motherboard is powered off and in "standby". You will see the MB standby lights on (boards with start buttons onboard will be lit). Standby does not mean the board is actually running, standby means the board has power, but you have not pressed the power button to turn it on. Make sure the board is off before you go to the next step in this list. You will know if it is off because if you leave it for 5 seconds it should not POST~BOOT - this means it is in standby.

3) Clear CMOS (Clear RTC) for 10 seconds. This will clear the Management Engine.

4) Power up the system, enter UEFI, set the clock and then save and exit.

5) Update MEI driver to Version 9.5.14.1724 in the OS.

6 )Carry on using the system as normal.

The above steps should fix the issue.

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm
Thanks for the link Martin. It's just frozen again this minute, but was ok when I powered up. Also been getting BSOD since updating the bios. I'll reset the cmos as per the advice when I get chance.

What's the MEI driver by the way?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:37pm
It's the Intel management engine driver.

If it gets on your nerves Rory, do contact Asus. You can't guarantee that a replacement won't have the same problem, but it's possible as many boards seem okay.

Also, Asus may have come up with a solution by now.
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 11:22am

I'm going to have to probably live with it Martin, as changing the board will mean a full reinstall of everything and i've only just got the thing how I want it since building it just before christmas.  I'll keep an eye on that link you gave me and also on the Asus forum to see if they come up with a fix.

Cheers

rory

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 3:56pm
Asus HQ are investigating anyway, so I'm sure there will be an update to fix it sooner or later.

Not unusual with new motherboards, there are usually glitches along the way before they are 100% stable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic