This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Navigation tutorial needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navigation tutorial needed
    Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 8:27pm
I am embarassed. 20 years as a simmer and an ex pilot,  and  yet this DC8 has me stumped.  With poor instructions in the manual, no matter what I do with Nav frequencies and switches, I have yet to feel confident about what makes what work in order to fly on autopilot from and to a destination.  Just when I think I got it figured out, things go wild.  The plane stops turning toward the needle. Am I the only  one? I know people have suggested keystroke commands, but I need to figure things out on the panel itself, but without a 2D panel, it reminds of when I did my IFR training, with the hood on making me totally blind, and if it had not been for the instructor I'd still be turning in "heaven". I love the DC8,it has a lot of potential,  but these few quirks bother me greatly. If someone would provide a step by step tutorial, with NAV points and frequencies that I could follow, perhaps things would improve.

The problem with the manual's tutorial is that it does not provide sufficient information about what switches to turn on .

tony
FV
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 9:01pm
Hi Tony, From what I have read, flying from VOR to VOR with the early autopilots in the 707s they tended to snake in an S pattern to stay aligned with the VOR. In fact I find this true in modern FSX planes so I don't bother with Nav mode and change course and heading manually. 
Must Fly!
Paul Golding View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 9:21pm
Seems ok to me Tony, though I do find that RMI a bit strange with the 2 white ADF needles and the green needle only reading the NAV2 freq.

I guess it depends what you find the trouble is, for example, are you able to tune Nav1 and fly to it using the HSI OK?
flyforever View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 12:12pm
Paul, Can you clarify which position is the gps switch. Is it up or down? My eyesight is not the greatest, and perhaps this is part of the problem...
tony
FV
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 12:26pm
Never use the GPS switch

I'll happily find it for you later though.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 1:24pm
I cheat because I work next to my pc simulator. I use Ideal flight to generate a flight. Then I focus on takeoff procedures and approach STARS. With Ideal flight I can set a pause at TOD so that I can work happily until it's time to set up for the approach. This is why the gps or fmc is convenient. It allows me to be both productive while I am flying.
tony
FV
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 6:47pm
Tony, the Nav/GPS switch is in the lower right corner of the AP panel.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 7:11pm
Yes, I knew where the nav/gps is located. What is not clear is whether the switch has a dual functions: down and up, and which is which.
tony
FV
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 7:29pm
Oooops, sorry.

I've used NAV mode on the AP with no issues, so by default the switch is set to NAV (as it should be). So whichever way it goes when you click it will be GPS. It could certainly do with better tooltips, as well as being mentioned in the manual.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 8:19pm
Great, Paul. Thanks, and I've already written to support about the fact that switches need to be better explained in the manual. 
tony
FV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic