This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build, cpu fan error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build, cpu fan error
    Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:57am
I have a problem....I did a basic post test last night - cpu, cooler, memory and gpu only, nothing else attached. It went ok, but I was presented with a cpu fan error.  I checked in the uefi bios and the fan speeds are both around 400 rpm or less. I have one fan connected to the cpu fan header and the other one to the cpu opt fan header.  I've swapped them around but no improvement.  Also, I've tried changing the fan options from standard to turbo and makes no diffrerence.  The cpu cooler is the noctua NH-D14.  I guess I could just connect the fans to the fan controller I'm going to use, or directly to the psu but would prefer to have em on the board.

One suggestion over at the Asus site is to install the AI Suite and then change the fan speeds, but why can't I just alter them now at this stage in the bios?  My cpu temp is already at around 70 deg with no load and I'm reluctant to go ahead and install the OS before I can increase the fan speeds as I dont want to put any load on the cpu.  I'm not even sure if connecting the fans directly to the psu will automatically increase the fans speeds anyway.

Suggestions?

Ta,

Rory
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 4:57pm
Quote but why can't I just alter them now at this stage in the bios? 

Are you saying the BIOS won't let you alter the fan speeds?

If so...

Power the CPU fans straight from the PSU initially, so that the RPM is at max.  Priority is to make sure your cooling is okay for now, then you can install OS and Ai Suite and have more options available without a temperature issue. D14 fans are whisper quiet anyway. Mine run at full RPM all the time, it's an older version so not PWM. Not an issue. The D14 is famous for being ultra quiet yet very cool.

AI Suite will do it. [As long as you don't have a MB issue] Install it, and then set your fan speed's properly. I use Ai Suite's Fan Xpert 2 all the time to control my fans, I have fan curves set up for all case fans.

Probably a BIOS issue. First thing I do with a new board is install the latest BIOS. Especially if it's a new board, there will be numerous updates.

Quote I'm not even sure if connecting the fans directly to the PSU will automatically increase the fans speeds anyway.

Yes they will, no question. The fans would be receiving full voltage, and no PWM throttling either. The BIOS would have no idea they were there.

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:09pm
Thanks Martin.  I wont get chance now til weekend to work on it . Earlier I took the cooler off to make sure I'd put enough thermal paste on and it looked a bit sparse after being spread by the cooler and heat even though I put a 5.5mm blob on it. I re did it using the spread method and feel more confident about it now. Just hope the temp comes down from 70 which is high.

Last night was my first time looking at the uefi bios so I'll try again to alter the fan speeds in advanced mode.  One thing I'm unsure about, is if I power the fans from the psu. the fans both have 4 pin connectors and my molex/fan connector cables only have 3 pin connectors on them! (the ones that are supplied with fans when you buy them, sometimes). Is there a 4 pin th molex?
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:21pm
3 into 4 will go but I need 4 into 3! Unless there is a molex with a 4 pin end on it. Are you able to alter your fan speeds in the bios yourself? I know you dont have the Z87 but you do have a recent asus board.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:45pm
Quote I took the cooler off to make sure I'd put enough thermal paste on and it looked a bit sparse after being spread by the cooler and heat even though I put a 5.5mm blob on it. I re did it using the spread method and feel more confident

You'll actually get better temps with it spread sparsely. Blob method works best as it avoids air pockets. I understand why you would want to eliminate a variable though.

I think you just may not be familiar with the UEFI to be honest.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by kessler kessler wrote:

3 into 4 will go but I need 4 into 3! Unless there is a molex with a 4 pin end on it. Are you able to alter your fan speeds in the bios yourself? I know you dont have the Z87 but you do have a recent asus board.

I think you'd need a pass-through adapter. I'll have a look...
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:55pm
You're right, I've never had uefi bios before!  I also need to read up on how to update the bios too as I've never done that either!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:19pm
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:40pm
You're a star Martin! Think that will do the job, thankyou  Smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:10pm
As for BIOS...

In the past, I've updated BIOS in the traditional fashion.

However, last few times I have used the Asus update facility in Ai Suite.

I know some traditionalists frown upon it, but for no reason really, Works great, no issues, that's what Asus designed it for.

EZ Update it's called.

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:43am
Yes, I read up on it in the asus manual....the first thing it said was, if there are no issues with the bios then dont update it as it can be problematic and lead to boot failure!  That said, lots of people seem to routinely update it.  With my board (and probably yours too) I can update it from the tools in the bios as well.  But does this sound right though....I downloaded the latest bios update last night which was a winzip file. I unzipped it to a folder and it was just one file, forget what type it was now. So I have to put this onto a usb stick and put it into the usb port then I can use the tools in bios to install it. I think I read also that I have to rename the file to something specific for my board - does that sound right?  Unless I wait until I have Ai suit installed and do it your way.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:58am
Quote Yes, I read up on it in the asus manual....the first thing it said was, if there are no issues with the bios then dont update it as it can be problematic and lead to boot failure!

Not such a big deal these days, with modern boards. Relatively risk free. I've updated the BIOS many times, with many boards, never an issue. Power failure during the update would be bad news of course.

If you don't have any issues, and your BIOS is reasonably up to date, with no major fixes required, then of course you wouldn't bother.

As I said though, new boards and thus new BIOS will often have minor issues that need patching. So with a new board it's always worth upgrading the BIOS. If you visit the Asus site, go to support, enter your OS, you will get a list of software available, including BIOS. You can compare your BIOS version with the latest, and check out the changes.

Yes you can upgrade the BIOS from a USB stick. Ai Suite will also enable you to download the BIOS to your PC yourself, browse for the file, and then it will install it for you, this is the way I normally do it. Alternatively it will download for you and install. I've done it both ways, works great.

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 1:26pm

Ok, Martin, thank you very much for helping!  I'll see if I can sort out the fans tomorrow evening. If I believe the manual, then I can do it in the bios and it didnt say I needed to install Ai Suite first in order to do it either, so we'll see.

Ta

Rory

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:13pm
Ok!  I've managed to get somewhere. In ez mode I changed the cpu_fan to manual,
In advanced, I went to monitor,
Changed cpuQ fan control to advance mode,
cpu fan speed low limit to 400rpm,
cpu fan profile to manual,
cpu fan max duty cycle to 100%,
cpu fan min duty cycle to 100%.

So, although the cpu fans are now running at 100%, the cpu fan speed is 1210rpm and the cpu opt fan speed is 1250rpm. I confess to having mis-read the cpu temp ( was reading the deg F instead of deg C!),
cpu temp is 25deg C at idle. This has eliminated the cpu fan error on post.

I can now continue and wait to come across the next problem!

Rory
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:54am
Silly boy. Big smile

Do try Ai Suite. Fan Xpert 2 is actually very good.

Will control all of your case fans very nicely. You can set up fan curves for all of them, so dependant on temperature, they will ramp up to whatever RPM you want, whenever you want.

Demo below, but the version for your MB may be slightly different.

As for overclocking with Ai Suite... I say don't. I tried the auto overclock feature and it overclocked my 3770K way too far.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:56am
This one is for the Z87...

kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm
Ok, thanks for the video links. I'll be giving the fan xpert 2 a go, looks very good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic