This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-6 B ADF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charcham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-6 B ADF
    Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 8:48am
Hello,
Working on the navigation possibilities with this wonderful airplane I got to a problem:
How to set ADF frequencies with the ADF Tuner Units ? the Frequency selector meanie head moves only by 100 Hz.
OK one can select frenquecy for ADF 1 with the standard radio Pop up. But it would be better to use the Tuner Units.
Is there a possibility I missed, thanks for your help.
In addition can we navigate with the 2 ADF or only with one ?

This will help in my navigation excercise.
Best regards
Charles Chammartin
Flying for fun
charcham View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charcham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:35am
As nobody was able to give me an answer to my problem Cry I checked further and found that, even if the procedure is not very easy, it is possible to change the frequency in HZ by clicking on the lower numbers and the MgHz with the lever ! it also works the same with the second ADF Big smile. This Airplane is probably the only one if FSC that has two ADF ! The second ADF shows in the instrument with the red needle !

But the identification (morse code) has a problem, it seems that the identification of the two ADF are transmitted at the same time with the ADF1 or ADF2 audio selector Ouch

The manual should relly be more explicit about the use of the navigation instruments Angry

Nice flights with this interesting machine.
charcham

Flying for fun
Top_Gunn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Top_Gunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 11:17pm
I could be wrong (only had this plane three days), but I don't think you can get an ADF2 morse code identifier at all. Furthermore, when you mouse over the red needle on the radio compass, which is the ADF2 needle, you don't get told what the station is. This seems to make ADF2 just about useless, which doesn't much bother me because, as you say, most planes don't have two of these anyway. If you really needed both of them, I guess you could set them both to the same station, check that the needles are the same, get the identifier, then tune ADF1 to another station. Wouldn't be very realistic, though.
Al
charcham View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charcham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 7:51am
High Al,
Thanks for your comments. After many training flights I have found the following solutions:
- OK you cannot get the ADF2 morse identifier, but as the selection of the frequency is digital, this identification is not absolutely necessary.
- your solution to select both ADF to the same station and then change ADF1 is OK if you do it on the ground, but in flight ? difficult.
- Are 2 ADF interesting? there are very few approaches that use NDB today, but in the period the DC-6B was used it was the most usual approach. I found the navigations charts of Switzerland dated 1957, you find only two VOR and 20 NDB ! At this time 2 ADF were really a necessity.
- Flying the DC-6 only with NDB is a real chalenge and very interesting.

Have nice flights with the DC-6.
charcham
Flying for fun
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic