This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jet engine problem on film at Manchester Airport
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jet engine problem on film at Manchester Airport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jet engine problem on film at Manchester Airport
    Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:21am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23071947

An aviation enthusiast managed to capture on film the moment a Thomas Cook Airbus A330 plane had engine trouble at Manchester Airport.

Simon Lowe, who was at the airport to film a large cargo plane, heard a noise like "a gunshot" as he was filming.

He told the BBC News website that when he reviewed the footage at home "I could see that the engine had kind of exploded or disintegrated".

A spokesman for Thomas Cook Airlines said the engine had remained intact and they were investigating the problem.

In a statement the airline said: "We can confirm that an incident took place at Manchester Airport regarding flight TCX314, during take-off to the Dominican Republic.

"The aircraft developed an engine fault and returned to stand; as a precaution, the airport emergency services attended the aircraft - but at no time were passengers or crew at risk. We'd like to thank our customers for their patience during the delay to their flight; a replacement aircraft was used to take them on their holiday the same afternoon."
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:35am
Quote "I could see that the engine had kind of exploded or disintegrated".

Just looked like a surge, likely no damage - fairly common occurance really, you'd think an enthusiast would be aware of it, and less sensationalist - too much attention seeking going to the news about it imho. Certainly didn't "Explode" as the Daily Fail and other alarmist websites have labelled it.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 3:21pm
I know, my thought too.

Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 11:28pm
This Simon Lowe guy must be a danger magnet; didn't he also film the crow ingestion on a 757 takeoff, and also one other incident I believe?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic