This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Viscount - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running out of gas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running out of gas
    Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:07pm
First let me say I really like this plane. Have read that some folks are unhappy but I've had lots of fun with it. It can be a challenge to fly but that's the fun of it.

Now about the fuel system - I have found by trial and error--some spectacular errors--that in order not to run ot of fuel you evidently need all the fuel pumps on (adds quite a racket) and all the "Inter-engine and cross- feed cocks" switched open (at least I assume open as they are not marked open / close on the panel and the tool tips don't say). These switches are shown on pare 21 of the manual but do not have a corresponding ID number (they are just above the fuel pumps also no ID number) and fuel cut off switched, ID #10). Of note, there are six switched for a plane that has four engines and four fuel tanks...hmmmm

If you don't have these open, the engines seem to to take all the fuel from Nbr 1 Aux tank and when its dry - four simultaneous flame outs - it will get your attention - the first tie this happened I was over water and ditched, the other two times I put a divit in the Australian outback       There is another set of switches on the pedestal that are labeled fuel cross feed but they don't seem to work (the mouse pointer changes to a hand but no click or movement). Interesting, on page 23 of the manual they have an ID number (14) but the ID list on page 13 stops at #13.     

When its all set up right--all the switched down (I assume OPEN)-- the AUX tanks drain first and then the mains...and if you run out of fuel then its called poor flight planning. So trial & error worked it out. The checklist twice calls for these the inter-engine and cross-feed cocks to be SHUT (page 28 (erroneously has them on the Pedestal unless they are talking about the #14 switches) and again on page 29 under TAXI). No where does it tell you to open them up. But if you don't ... you've got a 72,000 lb glider.

So I figured out how to get the fuel system working properly so this is NOT a technical support question per se. That said, I am curious about those 6 switches. Why 6? What controls what? Once my AUX tanks are dry can I switch a couple of them to closed? On long flights a little "switch flipping" goes a long way towards breaking up the monotony.
R/ Hangar 200
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:21am
Goodness, you are keen on accuracy. Me I just run on unlimited fuel and fly my favourite JF A321 anywhere.
johnep
hectorp View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 1:48am
I just purchased the JF Viscount after being flying the CalClassics Free version for several years.
Sadly I am having the same problem with JF Viscount. I have flown the model from Calclassics that even though is free it is  much more accurate regarding fuel system management. I love accuracy in flying.
This is how it works in this plane:
To avoid high impact loads on the carriage during landings it is mandatory that the tanks with more capacity  (in FSX there are Left Aux and Right Aux with 792 gls each) be used first during cruise then when the four tanks (there are Left Tip and Right Tip tanks with 348 gls each) have the same quantity to land with more or less the same quantity on all four tanks.
To accomplish that there are two actions to carry out once in cruise level in this order:
1. Switch open the left (Port) and right (Starboard) switches at the pedestal. Don't touch the center one. (In the JF Viscount like Hangar 200 said there is a hand but does nothing)
2. Switch close both fwd and aft valve at both tip tanks. 
3. With this configuration the engines are being fed by the two Aux tanks. 
4. When is time to go back to normal for descent and landing first switch the tank valves to open and then close the two fuel crossfeed switches at the pedestal.

It is a real pity that JF has done nothing about this mistake but there are also other errors like:
1. The Master Start/Ignition switch does not move even with the little hand active so it always is on which is wrong.
2. There is no ground power available.
3. Too many switches not working even the little hand is active
4. Even it says that there is a way to expedite the fuel trimmer switches I could not find it.
5. No cabin pressurization control knob to adjust the cabin pressure. Only the spill valves.
6. The manual is incredibly simple for this wonderful aircraft be enjoyed at full.

So, I will continue flying my free version and until JF fixes all these issues, I will consider my 30 bucks in a garbage recipient.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are Mandatory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic